World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by DColeKC »

Denver was lazy and got our hustled. Their bid was weak, fundraising too low and the stage/local government weren’t willing to preemptively pass legislation regarding the sales tax on tickets.

The shade their FC coach tossed is a joke.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:37 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:28 am
GRID wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:20 pm

KC is not Omaha! Just like KC is not Denver or Nashville!

If KC really wanted to up its game for the world cup it could. It's pretty incredible what a city can pull off in a short amount of time if it's something they want to do.

Hell, I'm getting pushback for just mentioning cleaning up the area directly around the stadium, which looks like hell. I mean, its the world cup which will attract more people to kc than any other event in kc's history.

Start a long list of shit to improve the city and get it done. KC can go back into complacency mode in 2027.
I'm the pushback. I'm all for making a list and prioritizing but the pushback is these are the first thinks you are mentioning hence prioritizing and I think they are the least of our concerns. It's typical KC though, don't focus on one area like downtown where fans will be all the time let's worry about what's next to the taco bell when fans are there are there for one reason. The match.
I don't think you get it. This is a big event for KC and honestly, I'm somewhat puzzled as to how KC landed the event as are most people outside of KC. It was basically a favor to the Hunt family, it's hard to really see it any other way. KC just does not have the infrastructure that other cities have. And most of the city is pretty rough around the edges compared to major cities that host events like this and that includes the area around the stadium.

But now it's time for the city to take advantage of the situation and raise itself to the next level. This is such a massive world stage for a city like KC. I understand there probably is not time to replace "taco bell" and all the other crap in the area with a bunch of nice mixed used development, but for the love of god, at least put in some sidewalks, some crosswalks, some landscaping, etc. The old Adams Mark may not be a priority, but why can't the city throw out some bones to try and get others to get the hotel cleaned up? I-70 isn't going to be upgraded, but at least clean up the area around the stadiums. It's bad enough people will have to drive down 70 (which is a trip back in time for an urban interstate) or all the blight and trashed out areas along Stadium Drive or 40 hwy to reach the stadium.

Even downtown, midtown and plaza areas really could use some basic infrastructure upgrades. Outside the P&L downtown KC has a lot of areas where the curbs, sidewalks, streets etc are extremely poorly maintained. The city should put together a plan to address the areas that really need it make sure most of the main streets are repaved etc (you know, so you can actually see the bike lanes and crosswalks etc).

The city should be doing this all while at the same time working to expedite other projects that would make KC a more attractive place to visit and send visitors back with a good impression. Thank god the airport will be nice. But to most people, it will just be a small airport, nothing special, because they didn't' know about the crappy terminal KC has now. KC's new airport simply brings it up to basic modern standards flyers expect.

KC needs to do more than open the street car and airport terminal. Use this as a reason to really get on the ball and get some stuff done over the next few years.

This could be a massive exposure of KC to the world's development and business community. Every little thing KC can do will help. If KC shines, the investment could pay off way beyond just the initial soccer matches.
You've completed taken what I said to another level and misrepresenting my point so not sure this is worth discussing and nothing I ever said. I don't get how I got drug into these points honestly.

To just clarify I agree with your points.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:32 pm Denver was lazy and got our hustled. Their bid was weak, fundraising too low and the stage/local government weren’t willing to preemptively pass legislation regarding the sales tax on tickets.

The shade their FC coach tossed is a joke.
Well KC speaks mafia well haha. Denver did things to piss them off, seems KC knew what cards needed to be played. I agree with the corruption comments of selection committee, it's indirectly viable based on history. Supposedly Boston was selected based on FIFA pres relationship with Gillette CEO. KC didn't have a payoff or relationship to offer but maybe did play the right cards to become 'part of the family' so to speak.

Probably overstated as I'm consuming vino but they may have simply liked the passionate weaker brother taking on the big boys and embraced it. We certainly don't have the logistics compared to other markets.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Sam McDowell’s article on our selection pretty much said the FIFA people really were taken by our passion and demonstrated soccer culture. It obviously isnt enough on its own, but helps over come bids from cities that may be more internationally known, but didnt put in any effort. FIFA trust us to follow through- while other cities were relying on existing cachet.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

It really is miraculous we got it compared to who we were up against
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah, whatever angle can be thrown out with the committee's decision, KC's passion in some form was clearly a bigger criteria than what would be expected.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

kboish wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:15 pm FIFA trust us to follow through- while other cities were relying on existing cachet.
This right here. The midwestern hospitality trope is sometimes overused, but good lord the people of this city absolutely know how to show up and put our best foot forward when we have guests come into town. FIFA isn’t just picking logistics of a place, they pick the culture and the people as well. KC will absolutely bring the best we have to offer.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Not in this case it seems
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

First off KCP, my posts were not directed at you, they were more directed at KC as a whole. You just gave me a reason to rant a little.

For every body else on my comment about the Hunt family. I totally understand that KC won this because the city simply wanted it more. I love KC, despite what some of you may think I'm a huge KC homer. But KC still falls pretty short when compared to most of these other cities. Obviously Denver, but even cities like Nashville with all their hotels, a busier airport, a downtown stadium that I think will be replaced prior the World Cup. KC is also lucky that a lot of major US cities didn't run like Chicago or Minneapolis.

Most of the other cities have much busier and better connected airports, more "quality" hotel rooms, transit systems, more modern stadiums etc. KC got this because they wanted it more. I mean you would not even know that DC and Baltimore were bidding for it if you didn't follow it. It was just not even remotely something anybody cared about here till they announced DC wasn't getting it. Even then it was a little article in the sports section. In KC, it was in your face for years. You had to live under a rock to not know KC was bidding. Part of that equation is the Hunt family too. They are part of the KC "passion" that got KC selected.

I don't understand why Boston got it either. Something going on there. Foxboro is way too far away from the city. I personally think the DC/Balt area should have gotten it way before Boston.

All I am saying is KC is lucky. Very lucky to have the Hunt family and a population of people that seem to get really worked up on certain things. It's like the Royals when they were good for two years. KC acted like it was the best baseball town ever, even voting in the entire team to the ASG. KC can do stuff like that out of nowhere.

But at the end of the day, KC is not all that comparable to cities like Denver or MSP or many other cities that could have tried a lot harder. Personally, I think it's sad that Chicago is not hosting games.

So use this to KC's advantage and really get some things done. Much of KC feels either run down or empty of people to outsiders. That is a cold hard fact. Downtown and the Plaza etc will not be empty of people during the World Cup so that's not an issue, but KC has a lot of urban bight and decay and just really bad basic infrastructure at both the local and state level. Even the Plaza could really used some sprucing up and hopefully some new tenants so it's not disappointing to people who are expecting a big city high end shopping district which the plaza is not anymore.

These are some big britches for KC to fill and I think it's a great opportunity for KC to catch up a little to many of these cities that have or will soon pass KC in importance and relevance.

KC people love to say how much they don't care what "other cities are doing" or "we are not Denver or Nashville". For a short period they may have a different perspective on that. Take advantage.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Well, The Kansas City spirit is in us all here. We might not have the extreme dreams of most City's but we know a good thing when we see it. Not delusional. We live very good with ourselves. Who cares what others think. We keep on trucking and get it done eventually. Don't live up to anyone's standards but our own.
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Failed World Cup soccer bid is biggest loss of the year in Denver sports
https://www.denverpost.com/2022/06/18/w ... rk-kiszla/
Denver should be ashamed that our dusty old cowtown got beat out as one of 11 tourney sites in the United States by Kansas City.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

The fans are going to spend 95% of the time in the urban core and the other 5% at Arrowhead. It's much more important we focus on getting the downtown & urban core areas.

You haters on here can stop hating on KC now. It's over. We got the Cup given to us. Stop trying to take credit away from the city. 90% of the people mad about KC getting it were people from cities who missed out or stood something to lose from KC getting to host.

That all being said, they need do need to use this window to try to go for anything they want for the city. There should be literally no excuse not to do this. Don't blame the "federal government" or "a recession might come!" or whatever for not trying.

The good thing is- Mayor Q & the higher powers are giving every indication they're gonna shoot for the moon here.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

GRID wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:20 pm

So use this to KC's advantage and really get some things done. Much of KC feels either run down or empty of people to outsiders. That is a cold hard fact.
I've seen you consistently say this but I'm wondering how you get to this conclusion? Especially since you're not seeing it week to week. I can't disagree more and I've been to most popular cities comparable to KC and much larger downtowns. Besides you're crazy spots like Nashville and Las Vegas, the actively in our downtown, Westport and Plaza are just as active if not more active than similar sized cities downtown areas.

Of course there's some run down area's but every city has these and most temp visitors never need to see them. I'm sitting outside, downtown right now and it's humming. I'm in PNL and it's a good vibe, busy but not annoyingly so. It's also 94 degrees and Boulavardia is happening 1 mile south. This is a fairly common scene these days around downtown.

Just wondering where you're getting this information to the point you're claiming it's a "cold hard fact"?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Goonies wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:57 pm
DColeKC wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:41 pm Kansas City didn’t get this out if a favor to the Hunt family. That’s just ridiculous.

We got this for many reasons but effort is #1. We’ve had several iconic sports moments happen. The FIFA President was watching live in 2019 when the womens World Cup broadcast cut in to KC’s watch party. He saw the cut-ins during the super bowl as well.

We got this over Nashville for very obvious reasons. The real competition was Denver and while it’s a beautiful city, we have just been on a better roll the last 5 years. People who live here are passionate about KC.
Denver is 100x better of a city than Kansas City
Denver outperforms KC in most every major factor involving big events and conventions. Don't think anyone is arguing that. We did what we do, beat the shit out of Denver and will use this event to further launch KC's trajectory as a major contender for huge events and conventions.

Now, 100x better is just pure exaggeration.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

kboish wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:17 pm It really is miraculous we got it compared to who we were up against
The whole reason we want this World Cup is so we can finally start changing minds on KC and launch our trajectory as a city. It's so that we present ourselves in a way where nobody asks why we got to host events over another city. There is still much work to do, but the WC2026 is giving us an avenue here to REALLY spruce up this city in the next 4-5 years with rocket power. We do that the next 4 years, we then show off the city in 2026 and leave no doubt as to why we were picked. That's the mindset we need to have here- and ironically I actually think the Mayor & other officials have this mindset more than half this message board.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:58 pm

So use this to KC's advantage and really get some things done. Much of KC feels either run down or empty of people to outsiders. That is a cold hard fact.
I've seen you consistently say this but I'm wondering how you get to this conclusion? Especially since you're not seeing it week to week. I can't disagree more and I've been to most popular cities comparable to KC and much larger downtowns. Besides you're crazy spots like Nashville and Las Vegas, the actively in our downtown, Westport and Plaza are just as active if not more active than similar sized cities downtown areas.

Of course there's some run down area's but every city has these and most temp visitors never need to see them. I'm sitting outside, downtown right now and it's humming. I'm in PNL and it's a good vibe, busy but not annoyingly so. It's also 94 degrees and Boulavardia is happening 1 mile south. This is a fairly common scene these days around downtown.

Just wondering where you're getting this information to the point you're claiming it's a "cold hard fact"?
Again you are taking it personally. KC just does not have the traffic (city traffic, not highway traffic), pedestrians, cyclists etc that most mid to major cities have. There are so many videos of KC done by vloggers on youtube and nearly all of them show a very empty downtown and half the comments are people asking "where are the people". People I know that visit kc from here say the same things. They liked KC, but they also mention how it lacks "people" outside of cars.

That's just how KC is. It doesn't mean it's a bad city, but it can come across as a very negative thing for people that just stop through the city.

Nashville has a much busier downtown than KC does. What are you talking about? KC has a very quiet downtown that's extremely easy to drive and park almost anywhere you want any time of the day. Most streets even Grand or Main rarely have queuing traffic on them unless there is an event.

I get the KC passion, but I don't get why you can't just be honest about some things.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I've been to Denver twice this year already. Their downtown has the same amount of foot traffic as KC's.

16th St Mall gets literally the same amount of foot traffic as The Plaza

The rest of their downtown has the same foot traffic as ours. Also, it smells like piss everywhere you walk in Denver.

We maybe have more blight in some parts, but our best areas are right up there with their best.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

GRID wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:14 pm

Again you are taking it personally. KC just does not have the traffic (city traffic, not highway traffic), pedestrians, cyclists etc that most mid to major cities have. There are so many videos of KC done by vloggers on youtube and nearly all of them show a very empty downtown and half the comments are people asking "where are the people". People I know that visit kc from here say the same things. They liked KC, but they also mention how it lacks "people" outside of cars.

That's just how KC is. It doesn't mean it's a bad city, but it can come across as a very negative thing for people that just stop through the city.

Nashville has a much busier downtown than KC does. What are you talking about? KC has a very quiet downtown that's extremely easy to drive and park almost anywhere you want any time of the day. Most streets even Grand or Main rarely have queuing traffic on them unless there is an event.

I get the KC passion, but I don't get why you can't just be honest about some things.
I'm not taking this personally, just trying to seek the truth here. You're in DC and relying on youtube vloggers, I'm here in KC. Live and office out of downtown/PNL. I'm not claiming it is busier downtown in KC than Nashville. I was saying Nashville is insanity, just like Vegas. There are so many variables to your claims. I'm not saying downtown KC is amazing on a Wednesday night, but in the summer Thursday-Sunday is very active downtown. Jan/Feb suck but that's to be expected.

I guess if you're talking about people from DC, NYC or LA coming to KC and saying it's lacking activity and people, you're probably right. That doesn't represent the vast majority of visitors to downtown KC.

Also, if people measure the vibrancy of a downtown by the bicycle traffic, they can go back to their own cities.

"I loved KC but barely saw any people on bicycles!"
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Here is a recent example.
https://youtu.be/bAj9ElIpxFg?t=596

There are dozens of videos like this about KC and nearly all of them show a relatively empty downtown. I'm obsessed and literally find every KC video I can since it's how I can keep up with how things are changing there (you can see Three light in this video for example).

When my own kids travel to KC, they always come back mentioning how the city lacks "people". I think people in KC are used to how it is.

Again, it's not a bad thing. It's just how the city is. Most of the reasons downtown is so quiet is because it's not connected to really anything. There are not even any major streets that go through downtown KC. It's surrounded by highways, the west is a bluff, the north is a small but thriving river market but then the river so not really enough to create a lot of traffic downtown, the east is highway and then blocks and blocks of underutilized land, and the south is the emerging crossroads, but activity is in pockets. Downtown is an isolated island, so it "feels" dead. But it's mostly an illusion because of how the city is set up. That doesn't change how people see the city when they visit it though.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:28 pm I guess if you're talking about people from DC, NYC or LA coming to KC and saying it's lacking activity and people, you're probably right.
The people I know here from NYC don't complain about KC at all. It's usually pleasantly surprised reactions. Maybe it's because they thought it would be a farm, but it's still good things. Tbh with you, the only people I ever hear complain about KC are natives who've built it up in their heads that we must suck because national media who've never been here keep telling them we suck.