World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by TheLastGentleman »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:36 amThat won't make the north loop removal happen quicker.
If it takes 24 years after finishing the new bridge to remove the north loop, then it's safe to say the new bridge had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with it
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think the greenbelt is a realistic and great project to push to get done by 26.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:34 am
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:36 amThat won't make the north loop removal happen quicker.
If it takes 24 years after finishing the new bridge to remove the north loop, then it's safe to say the new bridge had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with it
Ok
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I think Ted Lasso sealed it for us.

;-)
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

earthling wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:13 am ^And is P&L planning on any upgrades for the event, like more screens in Live district, etc.
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:06 am Yeah we aren't the only host city with horrible transportation to the stadium. Most are.
And those with great public transportation will probably rely mostly on event buses as well, particularly if the stadium and event hot spots are scattered.
Right. The important thing is that we can get everyone transported around the urban core by 2026.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

chingon wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:23 am
GRID wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:26 am
daGOAT wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:14 am Can we get some sidewalks on Blue Ridge Cut-Off now?
Right. Reading all the comments on social media right now from KC people is annoying. KC people are so delirious. Not only does the city really need to find a way to get some major improvements done to infrastructure and hotels etc, but KC people have got to stop thinking areas like Village West will be impressive to soccer fans from other parts of the country let alone the world.

KC needs to make the River Crown Plaza corridor shine and clean up the area around Arrowhead. Even the drive from downtown to the TSC is pretty depressing. I hope KC can spruce things up.
JFC, what an old act.
What's wrong with impressing visitors. KCMO is a cool city that I think does impress most people. The central urban part of KCMO. The rest of metro KC? Not at all. What's wrong with thinking that tourists will enjoy KC more if they are not pushed to places like Village West?

And there is also nothing wrong with a big push to get things spruced up around the city. Any city that would host an event like this would spending tens of millions on just basic stuff like making sure key parts of town look good and don't have crumbling streets, sidewalks etc. Maybe KC has a plan for that. I'm just saying I hope they do. And that includes the area around the stadium. If they know Arrowhead is staying or a new stadium is going in there, then why not push for a redevelopment of the adams mark, install new sidewalks and landscaping in the area etc. It looks and feels so crummy around the stadiums.

I mean there is enough time to make I-70 or other routes from the city to the stadiums look less ghetto. 70 looks like hell east of downtown like it has not been improved since the 1960's. If Modot has a plan, get them to expedite it.

I really don't get why this is so insulting.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

GRID wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:03 pm
chingon wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:23 am
GRID wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:26 am

Right. Reading all the comments on social media right now from KC people is annoying. KC people are so delirious. Not only does the city really need to find a way to get some major improvements done to infrastructure and hotels etc, but KC people have got to stop thinking areas like Village West will be impressive to soccer fans from other parts of the country let alone the world.

KC needs to make the River Crown Plaza corridor shine and clean up the area around Arrowhead. Even the drive from downtown to the TSC is pretty depressing. I hope KC can spruce things up.
JFC, what an old act.
What's wrong with impressing visitors. KCMO is a cool city that I think does impress most people. The central urban part of KCMO. The rest of metro KC? Not at all. What's wrong with thinking that tourists will enjoy KC more if they are not pushed to places like Village West?

And there is also nothing wrong with a big push to get things spruced up around the city. Any city that would host an event like this would spending tens of millions on just basic stuff like making sure key parts of town look good and don't have crumbling streets, sidewalks etc. Maybe KC has a plan for that. I'm just saying I hope they do. And that includes the area around the stadium. If they know Arrowhead is staying or a new stadium is going in there, then why not push for a redevelopment of the adams mark, install new sidewalks and landscaping in the area etc. It looks and feels so crummy around the stadiums.

I mean there is enough enough time to make I-70 or other routes from the city to the stadiums look less ghetto. 70 looks like hell east of downtown like it has not been improved since the 1960's. If Modot has a plan, get them to expedite it.

I really don't get why this is so insulting.
Side note: Can we stop using the term "ghetto" to describe an area in disrepair.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCDowntown wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:21 pm Just a random reflection on today's events:

I don't think KC would have been selected without the "gathering room" at P&L district from past soccer matches/World Series/Super Bowls. The images and videos from past events give KC a measure of credibility as a "big" city that otherwise wouldn't exist, nationally and for our own civic pride.

This image from the Visit KC website (and all the others out there), end up being worth 250+ million dollars in spending / tourism coming to KC.

KCDowntown
100%. Photos and video footage from past watch events was submitted to FIFA and said to have been a major deciding factor.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Trashed. Is that better? I was not talking about the neighborhoods, but the infrastructure. I-70 is flat out depressing between the loop and 435. It makes KC feel like a city that died decades ago. I honestly can't think of another city into the country with a more outdated major interstate going through it. Most have been totally replaced by now.

Make it look more like 64 does going into StL or something. Nice overpasses etc. I think people there are used to some of KC's infrastructure to the point that they are numb to it. Nothing wrong with updating some stuff before you are on a world stage.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:15 pm Trashed. Is that better? I was not talking about the neighborhoods, but the infrastructure. I-70 is flat out depressing between the loop and 435. It makes KC feel like a city that died decades ago. I honestly can't think of another city into the country with a more outdated major interstate going through it. Most have been totally replaced by now.

Make it look more like 64 does going into StL or something. Nice overpasses etc. I think people there are used to some of KC's infrastructure to the point that they are numb to it. Nothing wrong with updating some stuff before you are on a world stage.
MoDot should finally wise up and realize to stop putting their efforts into StL, and focus on the city that’s gonna actually bring in visitors from the globe
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:15 pm Trashed. Is that better? I was not talking about the neighborhoods, but the infrastructure. I-70 is flat out depressing between the loop and 435. It makes KC feel like a city that died decades ago. I honestly can't think of another city into the country with a more outdated major interstate going through it. Most have been totally replaced by now.

I honestly don't want to spend our limited resources and time before the world cup worrying about freaking i70 and hte Adam's Mark hotel. I get infrastructure roads/highways is your passion but goodness Grid.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Here is my initial list I hope we can get done that's not already on schedule to be done (streetcar expansion, etc)

* Greenline around downtown
* Ped bridge to riverfront
* South Loop cap

I'm sure there are more that will come to mind.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:24 pm

I honestly don't want to spend our limited resources and time before the world cup worrying about freaking i70 and hte Adam's Mark hotel. I get infrastructure roads/highways is your passion but goodness Grid.
I'm not saying to re-direct from other issues. I mean things like 70 are way past being dealt with now so if possible, get it done before the world cup instead of right after the world cup. Same with the area around the stadium. If there is an opportunity to spruce things up, then why not?

If it gets in the way of projects that will have more impact on visitors like the south loop cap or the Broadway Bridge Park, then no, but there is no reason to think so closed minded. The 670 deck would have little to do with adding some landscaping to Blue Ridge.

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for KCMO and Missouri/MoDot etc to get off their asses and put some things into high gear for a change.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Trashed - or trash is a key word. I agree but the very least they can do is clean up the frickin trash before the World Cup. A friend of ours from Minneapolis St Paul came to stay with us last month. We stayed mostly on the Kansas side of the metro where we now live but frequently visited downtown and the Plaza. He was impressed by KC's urban core but I70 east of downtown and I435 through east KC were god awful in terms of the condition of the infrastructure and visible trash everywhere. That was not impressive.

That said - getting the world cup is huge. Not only will KC be on the national stage but it will also be on the world stage. Fantastic news for the city.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:35 pm

I'm not saying to re-direct from other issues. I mean things like 70 are way past being dealt with now so if possible, get it done before the world cup instead of right after the world cup. Same with the area around the stadium. If there is an opportunity to spruce things up, then why not?

If it gets in the way of projects that will have more impact on visitors like the south loop cap or the Broadway Bridge Park, then no, but there is no reason to think so closed minded. The 670 deck would have little to do with adding some landscaping to Blue Ridge.

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for KCMO and Missouri/MoDot etc to get off their asses and put some things into high gear for a change.
Is what you are asking of 70 even possible in 4 years assuming they don't already have a design in place? I assume they don't.

I'm just saying we all know we only have so much political capital to use for this thing, I don't think pushing 70 improvements should eat any of that up much less actual capital. Perfect world, sure, pretty it up.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Every corporation in the metro area should be getting pressured to contribute to a world cup fund but they're all so useless. But this will fill up Kansas and Missouri so there is no excuse.

They'll probably all ask for incentives to move to Tulsa or something to avoid it.

But that could pay for the beautification stuff.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DC mayor bemoaning the lost bid on TV today saying “this is why we need our own stadium!”
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:41 pm
GRID wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:35 pm

Is what you are asking of 70 even possible in 4 years assuming they don't already have a design in place? I assume they don't.

I'm just saying we all know we only have so much political capital to use for this thing, I don't think pushing 70 improvements should eat any of that up much less actual capital. Perfect world, sure, pretty it up.
Probably not unless he plans are ready. Just something that would be nice.

Personally, I wish the city had put together shovel ready plans to rebuild I-70 from the loop west of Manchester (the new bridges) that included some type of rail line to the stadiums. But I know that's is totally pie in the sky.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

earthling wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:58 am ^A rail line couldn't be completed by then. I realize it sounds great on paper but isn't necessary. It's more practical to run constant charter buses between stadium and DT/Plaza and maybe airport hotels. Several of the other WC cities will likely be doing this as well anyway and not rely too much on public transit. Lots of large conventions in major cities rely on event/charter buses between key event places rather than public transit. There's much more control of logistics this way and less confusion for those unfamiliar with the local transit.

Could also see Uber drivers from surrounding cities coming in to get a piece of the action, including STL drivers.
Biz Journal on this topic.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... idekc.html

Sounds like what KC may do is a variation of what I mentioned above, but using city buses instead of charter buses for event specific hubs. They'll be city buses used for events at point-to=point hubs, probably not the typical public bus routes.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:06 pm DC mayor bemoaning the lost bid on TV today saying “this is why we need our own stadium!”
DC city council has been dead set against a new stadium at the old RFK site, which is really the absolute perfect place for it. Right on a metro line in a central location. If they had a stadium there, DC would have been a lock. Plans keep coming up for a new stadium way out in the outer VA suburbs, nowhere near a metro stop. They want revenue from parking lots, but they can't seem to get anything done since VA nor MD are willing to put a lot of money into it.