World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by earthling »

swid wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:32 pm <its_happening.gif>
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Fantastic - great news for KC!

Hopeful this announcement stirs up excitement about the region and helps light a fire under upcoming development/infrastructure.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^With Mayor Q recently busy with World Cup and Oracle, maybe he'll get more engaged with the recent development challenges.
KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

SOOOOOOOOOOO Thrilled for OUR City!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I'm not a big soccer fan. I hope that those like me realize what a BIG DEAL this is for KC! 15 years ago we DO NOT beat out cities like Chicago and Denver!!!!!!
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Thrilled we made the cut. Will be very big for KC. Wish I was in town to celebrate.
longtimelistener
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by longtimelistener »

I am cautiously optimistic this will help drive cooperation from groups that may have previously got in each others way since the region will need to work towards a common goal (pun intended) to put our best foot forward.

CANNOT WAIT TO SCROUNGE FOR A TICKET!! So excited!!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Next question, how many games?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

earthling wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:01 pm Next question, how many games?
5-7 is what I've heard
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Will Kansas Cities stadium actually end up being the hottest temp wise for the tournament? Dallas, Atlanta and Houston have domes. Miami temps seem to stay in the upper 80s in summer but humid. Monterey stadium is up in the mountains I believe.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Final list of host cities.

US:
Atlanta
Boston
Dallas
Houston
Kansas City
Los Angeles
Miami
New York/New Jersey
Philadelphia
San Francisco
Seattle

Mexico:
Guadalajara
Mexico City
Monterrey

Canada:
Toronto
Vancouver

KC punching above its weight class and I love it
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:01 pm Will Kansas Cities stadium actually end up being the hottest temp wise for the tournament? Dallas, Atlanta and Houston have domes. Miami temps seem to stay in the upper 80s in summer but humid. Monterey stadium is up in the mountains I believe.
^If the case they perhaps could use KC for the equatorial country matchups where possible. Teams used to playing in the heat.
longtimelistener
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by longtimelistener »

Go the Qatar route and install giant, energy sucking AC systems at field level of Arrowhead. Done and Done!

/s
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

So, we jumped the Washington DC/Baltimore bid and they went with only two Canada cities instead of three. Edmonton the last to be taken out. Montreal and Chicago deciding to drop out because of the potential political backlash of spending money for the games seems to be what got us the win.
trexel94
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by trexel94 »

Best news i've heard in KC in years! There's plenty of salty tweets from lost bids in Nashville, Denver, Cincy etc and they're especially bitter over the fact they lost to KC. However its also clear that outsiders aren't terribly excited about KC winning the event in general and we have the least amount of retweets. I'm concerned we'll have the lowest turnout and fewer matches but hoping we can put on a good show and shed the tired cow-town image. Most people who give KC a try and visit usually enjoy it.

- How long will the event stay in KC for?
- Could there be international charter flights like what Austin gets for SXSW?
- Any potential for new development projects?
- Long term post games benefits?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

According to ESPN, KC will get...

Round of World Cup games: quarterfinal, third-round game

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world- ... -16-venues
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

This is great news and I’m really excited for it! As for retweets and things like that, take it as a grain of salt. No doubt the stadium will be packed full as will the festivities around town when this is taking place. If I can’t get a ticket to one game, I’d plan on attending some other party going around town. It’s a huge deal, as we all know.

Also, regarding if any development will come out of this, I imagine the old Adams Mark Hotel will be torn down for something else and other hotels around town will be renovated (if need be). I don’t think there will be a significant uptick in development, but you never know. It’ll remain primarily residential focused. Transportation might be improved a bit with higher frequency routes being proposed as well as a grander BRT system. It’s too soon to the event for more streetcar lines to be built.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Transportation shouldn't be a huge issue. I've been to 50K-100K+ conventions in San Fran and Chicago where they run constant event buses between major event sites, public transit isn't relied on much outside the local attendees. Running a constant stream of buses between stadium DT/Plaza will likely be fine, and may be airport hotels.
Last edited by earthling on Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Just a random reflection on today's events:

I don't think KC would have been selected without the "gathering room" at P&L district from past soccer matches/World Series/Super Bowls. The images and videos from past events give KC a measure of credibility as a "big" city that otherwise wouldn't exist, nationally and for our own civic pride.

This image from the Visit KC website (and all the others out there), end up being worth 250+ million dollars in spending / tourism coming to KC.

KCDowntown
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

earthling wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:23 pm According to ESPN, KC will get...

Round of World Cup games: quarterfinal, third-round game

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world- ... -16-venues
That info from ESPN seems a little odd/off. I would be surprised if they have determined where all of the knockout round games will be played.

There are 80 group stage matches, so assuming it's divided evenly, then each city should get five of those. Then KC will probably get one (two if we are lucky) in the early rounds of the knockout stage.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^I'm thinking they mean quarterfinal category, not single game - so 'quarterfinals' and third round as well. Some markets will get semi-finals but apparently not KC if the list is accurate.