Future Transit Oriented Developments

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
daGOAT
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Future Transit Oriented Developments

Post by daGOAT »

I think you've got us all excited lol. There are a number of colonnaded apartment buildings with 12 and even up to 24 units around the city, one of my personal favorites is 3320 Gillham Rd for context. The beauty of the colonnade is that it has a diverse array of looks and still can be classified as a colonnade. I'm sure you've done your research but Ima send one more address as well, 900 E 29th St has 24 units (maybe more) and the subtle roundness of the balconies is aesthetically pleasant and even classy. I got high hopes for whatever you do man you seem passionate and Kansas City is lucky to have people like you who wanna make a difference.
Chris Stritzel
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

earthling wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:39 am Bringing back a Colonnade should bring some attention, was a good idea from swid. About which area, Midtown?
Yes. Midtown. There's a lot of land there that's under-utilized especially within a few blocks of the streetcar line. Finding the "right site" was easy, but communicating with owners was another thing.
Riverite wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:10 am Sounds particularly, the colonnade may help ease opposition
That's one of the hopes beyond adding extra density. Having something that "steps" down into the neighborhood scale should be liked by many.
daGOAT wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:52 am I think you've got us all excited lol. There are a number of colonnaded apartment buildings with 12 and even up to 24 units around the city, one of my personal favorites is 3320 Gillham Rd for context. The beauty of the colonnade is that it has a diverse array of looks and still can be classified as a colonnade. I'm sure you've done your research but Ima send one more address as well, 900 E 29th St has 24 units (maybe more) and the subtle roundness of the balconies is aesthetically pleasant and even classy. I got high hopes for whatever you do man you seem passionate and Kansas City is lucky to have people like you who wanna make a difference.
I like the examples you gave. Those two were not part of the initial bunch that I looked at and took notes on. There are lots of other people like me who are passionate about this stuff, some are even on this forum and comment often. If we didn't believe in a stronger future for KC, we wouldn't be doing these things. I especially wouldn't be doing these things since I'm new to the game (but have some experience from working with others) and this will build a new legacy.
alejandro46
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by alejandro46 »

A fully accessible 6 plex with shared roof deck and a big shared green space in back. Apartment density (1.4FSR)
From LaneFab Design. Quote Tweeted by Jon Stephens. Could imagine something like this but bigger for a TOD concept.

https://twitter.com/RockhillStrat/statu ... 5733945344
Chris Stritzel
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

^I like that a lot and it’s what I had in mind for the most part, just the design would be tweaked a bit. The density would also be double than what’s shown, so 12 apartments instead of 6. But I imagine that if construction costs came down enough (wishful thinking) and land prices were cheap enough, 6-unit buildings could be built all over the city to fill in gaps and add more housing. Right now, a 12-unit building would be a companion to a larger one to meet parking requirements and so on :/
alejandro46
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by alejandro46 »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:49 pm ^I like that a lot and it’s what I had in mind for the most part, just the design would be tweaked a bit. The density would also be double than what’s shown, so 12 apartments instead of 6. But I imagine that if construction costs came down enough (wishful thinking) and land prices were cheap enough, 6-unit buildings could be built all over the city to fill in gaps and add more housing. Right now, a 12-unit building would be a companion to a larger one to meet parking requirements and so on :/
Right, it would be very helpful if we could ger rid of parking minimums and avoid having an elevator, although that may be a necessary amenity.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There's a new fourplex on Central in Westport. It's a regular house lot with no alley access.

viewtopic.php?p=625520&hilit=central+fourplex#p625520
Chris Stritzel
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Just want to put this out there: project 1 of my TODs will start specialized neighbor meetings (for those immediately next door to the site and those who will be most affected) soon along with meetings with Council Members. I believe the concept that's been envisioned (on paper, mind you) will set the standard for these types of developments. The design will break from the style that we've been seeing recently as well.

The other project that I was hinting at before is off the table. The Church of Scientology is crazy and they denied a contract for reasons that I could probably sue them over but won't. It's not worth the fight when there are other options to create something special.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:42 pm Just want to put this out there: project 1 of my TODs will start specialized neighbor meetings (for those immediately next door to the site and those who will be most affected) soon along with meetings with Council Members. I believe the concept that's been envisioned (on paper, mind you) will set the standard for these types of developments. The design will break from the style that we've been seeing recently as well.

The other project that I was hinting at before is off the table. The Church of Scientology is crazy and they denied a contract for reasons that I could probably sue them over but won't. It's not worth the fight when there are other options to create something special.
Great to hear about the first, disappointing about the second. Best to stay away from the Scientologists definitely not the sort of lot you would want to get caught up with.
AlkaliAxel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:42 pm Just want to put this out there: project 1 of my TODs will start specialized neighbor meetings (for those immediately next door to the site and those who will be most affected) soon along with meetings with Council Members. I believe the concept that's been envisioned (on paper, mind you) will set the standard for these types of developments. The design will break from the style that we've been seeing recently as well.

What is the project?
Chris Stritzel
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:06 pm What is the project?
Can't say till I've had closed-door conversations with immediate neighbors and council members and altered the design a bit based on those conversations. What I reveal publicly is what should get built with only minor tweaks. I don't want to reveal something that looks different by time construction starts.