Future Transit Oriented Developments

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Future Transit Oriented Developments

Post by daGOAT »

I think you've got us all excited lol. There are a number of colonnaded apartment buildings with 12 and even up to 24 units around the city, one of my personal favorites is 3320 Gillham Rd for context. The beauty of the colonnade is that it has a diverse array of looks and still can be classified as a colonnade. I'm sure you've done your research but Ima send one more address as well, 900 E 29th St has 24 units (maybe more) and the subtle roundness of the balconies is aesthetically pleasant and even classy. I got high hopes for whatever you do man you seem passionate and Kansas City is lucky to have people like you who wanna make a difference.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

earthling wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:39 am Bringing back a Colonnade should bring some attention, was a good idea from swid. About which area, Midtown?
Yes. Midtown. There's a lot of land there that's under-utilized especially within a few blocks of the streetcar line. Finding the "right site" was easy, but communicating with owners was another thing.
Riverite wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:10 am Sounds particularly, the colonnade may help ease opposition
That's one of the hopes beyond adding extra density. Having something that "steps" down into the neighborhood scale should be liked by many.
daGOAT wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:52 am I think you've got us all excited lol. There are a number of colonnaded apartment buildings with 12 and even up to 24 units around the city, one of my personal favorites is 3320 Gillham Rd for context. The beauty of the colonnade is that it has a diverse array of looks and still can be classified as a colonnade. I'm sure you've done your research but Ima send one more address as well, 900 E 29th St has 24 units (maybe more) and the subtle roundness of the balconies is aesthetically pleasant and even classy. I got high hopes for whatever you do man you seem passionate and Kansas City is lucky to have people like you who wanna make a difference.
I like the examples you gave. Those two were not part of the initial bunch that I looked at and took notes on. There are lots of other people like me who are passionate about this stuff, some are even on this forum and comment often. If we didn't believe in a stronger future for KC, we wouldn't be doing these things. I especially wouldn't be doing these things since I'm new to the game (but have some experience from working with others) and this will build a new legacy.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

A fully accessible 6 plex with shared roof deck and a big shared green space in back. Apartment density (1.4FSR)
From LaneFab Design. Quote Tweeted by Jon Stephens. Could imagine something like this but bigger for a TOD concept.

https://twitter.com/RockhillStrat/statu ... 5733945344
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

^I like that a lot and it’s what I had in mind for the most part, just the design would be tweaked a bit. The density would also be double than what’s shown, so 12 apartments instead of 6. But I imagine that if construction costs came down enough (wishful thinking) and land prices were cheap enough, 6-unit buildings could be built all over the city to fill in gaps and add more housing. Right now, a 12-unit building would be a companion to a larger one to meet parking requirements and so on :/
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:49 pm ^I like that a lot and it’s what I had in mind for the most part, just the design would be tweaked a bit. The density would also be double than what’s shown, so 12 apartments instead of 6. But I imagine that if construction costs came down enough (wishful thinking) and land prices were cheap enough, 6-unit buildings could be built all over the city to fill in gaps and add more housing. Right now, a 12-unit building would be a companion to a larger one to meet parking requirements and so on :/
Right, it would be very helpful if we could ger rid of parking minimums and avoid having an elevator, although that may be a necessary amenity.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There's a new fourplex on Central in Westport. It's a regular house lot with no alley access.

viewtopic.php?p=625520&hilit=central+fourplex#p625520
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Just want to put this out there: project 1 of my TODs will start specialized neighbor meetings (for those immediately next door to the site and those who will be most affected) soon along with meetings with Council Members. I believe the concept that's been envisioned (on paper, mind you) will set the standard for these types of developments. The design will break from the style that we've been seeing recently as well.

The other project that I was hinting at before is off the table. The Church of Scientology is crazy and they denied a contract for reasons that I could probably sue them over but won't. It's not worth the fight when there are other options to create something special.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:42 pm Just want to put this out there: project 1 of my TODs will start specialized neighbor meetings (for those immediately next door to the site and those who will be most affected) soon along with meetings with Council Members. I believe the concept that's been envisioned (on paper, mind you) will set the standard for these types of developments. The design will break from the style that we've been seeing recently as well.

The other project that I was hinting at before is off the table. The Church of Scientology is crazy and they denied a contract for reasons that I could probably sue them over but won't. It's not worth the fight when there are other options to create something special.
Great to hear about the first, disappointing about the second. Best to stay away from the Scientologists definitely not the sort of lot you would want to get caught up with.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:42 pm Just want to put this out there: project 1 of my TODs will start specialized neighbor meetings (for those immediately next door to the site and those who will be most affected) soon along with meetings with Council Members. I believe the concept that's been envisioned (on paper, mind you) will set the standard for these types of developments. The design will break from the style that we've been seeing recently as well.

What is the project?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:06 pm What is the project?
Can't say till I've had closed-door conversations with immediate neighbors and council members and altered the design a bit based on those conversations. What I reveal publicly is what should get built with only minor tweaks. I don't want to reveal something that looks different by time construction starts.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Riverite wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:00 pm

Great to hear about the first, disappointing about the second. Best to stay away from the Scientologists definitely not the sort of lot you would want to get caught up with.
Now they have the property I wanted listed for sale. LOLOLOLOLOL.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

After some research, visiting sites, contacting people, and waiting, I've narrowed down sites I hope to focus on and maybe hand off to capable future partners who see the value of reinvesting into the historic core of the city.

Along the streetcar line, expect to see developments include...
- A parking ratio of .6 or less.
- Expect a minimum of 6 parking spaces in a building to include a carsharing amenity so people can get around to parts of the area that are not easily accessible by bus (these cars will likely all be Chevrolet Volt EVs).
- Bikes, E-Bikes, and scooters will also be includes for residents to use to get around to nearby attractions and businesses.
- Depending on the scope of the project, expect apartments ranging from micro studios to 4 bedrooms with the 3- and 4-bedroom units, in the larger projects, being able to be rented out by bedroom.
- Large windows will be included in each unit to limit the need for lights to be turned on during the day.
- Expect some buildings to have slightly angled facades that reduces evening sunlight/heat effects on an apartment (depending on orientation).
- Expect units to do away with gray and white as the primary interior colors. Expect blonde and normal-hued wood floors and cabinetry mixed in with glossy white or glass, hues of green, blue, and cream colors to create a warm feeling of home. The colors won't be gaudy as you might think, but they'll be tasteful and are meant to create a sense of calm.
- Units will be well insulated to keep the heat out in the summer and heat inside in the winter. The insulation will also help keep outside noise out.
- Recessed balconies will be including where possible. I do not intend on having fully protruding balconies. Juliet balconies will be included but will blend in well when doors/windows are shut.
- At the ground-level, expect large windows letting outsiders to peek in as well as welcoming retail spaces that set up well for bodegas, shops, cafes, and neighborhood style bars. On larger buildings at key intersections, a retail space would be large enough for a restaurant.
- Where capable, a parking garage entrance will be placed in an alley or on a secondary/side street.
- Where possible, the concept of facadism will be used to preserve history of the past while blending it with the future. However, if you're walking next to the buildings "preserved" at the street-level, you goal is for you to not see the new structure that sites on top of it. You will see it from across the street though.

The Main Street Overlay District works for the most part but at some intersections and sites that I've looked at/continue looking at, the need for a variance to go taller is needed. In instances like this, I believe that a variance could easily be had as long as the design is tasteful and "steps" down a bit to not be a "Godzilla" like project.

Also, expect all projects to be built using steel/concrete + cross laminated timber, concrete + modular pieces, or concrete + stick frame (should be a rare construction type).

In the downtown loop, I've looked at sites for projects that sit just off of the streetcar line and wouldn't include any parking due to abundant nearby parking. Those projects are much more advanced though and require some more thought.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Recessed balconies are better. The protruding balcony is often too exposed (unless it is also covered) and thus too hot during the day, and can only be enjoyed late at night after it's cooled off. The uncovered balconies also don't allow residents to place plants in/on their outdoor space because they get fried in direct sun.

Be sure to talk to a couple of restaurants and bar-type grille operators about problems they have faced adapting spaces for food service.

Please get the former Insurance Building on the NW corner of 10th and Oak out of Abnos's hands. :lol:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.102141 ... 384!8i8192

Have you looked at the Grand Avenue Temple office building on the SE corner of 9th and Grand? This building seems perfect for conversion into studios. The other idea is to buy the Grand Avenue Temple church and renovate it into a wedding venue, and convert the office building into a boutique hotel where out-of-town wedding guests could also stay. The ground floor of the office building could be a restaurant or rehearsal dinner space.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1036731 ... 384!8i8192

https://kchistory.org/document/grand-av ... nd%2520Oak

What about the Blackstone Hotel?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/SP%2B ... 94.5757417

I am curious if you have tried buying the Mainmark Building at 1627 Main? Nicholson owns that entire block, and it seems to me that block is among the most prime redevelopment opportunities downtown along the streetcar route.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0934637 ... 84!8i8192
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

FangKC wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:16 am Please get the former Insurance Building on the NW corner of 10th and Oak out of Abnos's hands. :lol:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.102141 ... 384!8i8192
I'll look into this one. It seems like alterations are slowly happening, but I haven't paid much attention. With it being next door to Pickwick, I think something would work here. But it is far away from the action of downtown. It benefits from being on the national register and can get a tax abatement without affordable housing rules, so it's an option.
FangKC wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:16 am Have you looked at the Grand Avenue Temple office building on the SE corner of 9th and Grand? This building seems perfect for conversion into studios. The other idea is to buy the Grand Avenue Temple church and renovate it into a wedding venue, and convert the office building into a boutique hotel where out-of-town wedding guests could also stay. The ground floor of the office building could be a restaurant or rehearsal dinner space.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1036731 ... 384!8i8192

https://kchistory.org/document/grand-av ... nd%2520Oak
Funny you mention these. They are ones I've looked at and played around with possibilities. The Temple is for sale for $1 million, the tower is not though and getting in contact with the owner is a difficult task. Benefit: On the national register.

Both this and the Insurance Building would benefit from the Federal Reserve redevelopment being completed. If I were to get the tower, I might wait on it to see how the AC Hotel and the Scarritt Building apartments do before deciding what direction to go.
FangKC wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:16 am What about the Blackstone Hotel?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/SP%2B ... 94.5757417
Just like the Insurance Building, this one sits away from the activity of downtown. The benefit is that it's on the national register and can get federal and state HTCs along with a tax abatement from the city.
FangKC wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:16 am I am curious if you have tried buying the Mainmark Building at 1627 Main? Nicholson owns that entire block, and it seems to me that block is among the most prime redevelopment opportunities downtown along the streetcar route.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0934637 ... 84!8i8192
I have talked to Brad Nicholson and he's not quite ready to sell yet. He has some buyers lined up when the time comes as well, but it's likely his holdings will be sold as a group as parking is utilized for different tenants at different buildings and so on.

Special note: I have a partner from California looking into some new-build projects in town. Good guy and great team. All are friendly people who would be great to have here. I'm also hoping to bring some local players into the mix.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Ha. Abnos has been slowly renovating that Insurance Building for 15 years. Like most of his properties, they never seem to be finished.

I wouldn't necessarily think it's a bad thing to be away from the "action" when it comes to living space. A lot of people like quiet apartments, and it's still a short walk to most things. You have lots of people living in the NW quadrant of downtown in former garment district warehouses, and I don't think those apartments are hard to rent.

One also needs to think about proximity to employers, and you have the UMB/Commerce bank employees, federal courthouse, dept. of transportation, JE Dunn, Ozark Nat'l Life, Federal, City and County employees all with a couple of blocks. The Blackstone Hotel property would most likely benefit from acquiring the adjacent vacant lots and adding new structures. I've always been befuddled why there is that strange jog in Holmes between 8th and 9th streets. It wasn't there prior to 1958 on the Sanborn maps. I wonder if there is any plan to realign Holmes so you get a more square Blackstone Hotel block. That would add some room to extend a longer building on the south side of 8th Street.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1038297 ... a=!3m1!1e3
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

If Holmes were realigned it would be cool to see the ROW from 8th to Admiral Blvd continued as a paseo for pedestrians and cyclists only done as well, though the Manhattan probably need some incentive to lose their little surface lot.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I looked through the 1940 tax photos and found what was on that block around the Blackstone Hotel.

Here is the Blackstone Hotel with all the storefronts filled.

Here is the building that used to be on the vacant parcel east of the Blackstone Hotel. It was called the Emery Hotel and it sat between the Blackstone and the Bradford Apartments which remains.

On the SE corner of E. 8th and Cherry just north of the Blackstone Hotel. This would be directly east of St. Patrick's Catholic Church.

On the SW corner of E. 8th and Holmes.

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

FangKC wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:37 am Ha. Abnos has been slowly renovating that Insurance Building for 15 years. Like most of his properties, they never seem to be finished.

I wouldn't necessarily think it's a bad thing to be away from the "action" when it comes to living space. A lot of people like quiet apartments, and it's still a short walk to most things. You have lots of people living in the NW quadrant of downtown in former garment district warehouses, and I don't think those apartments are hard to rent.

One also needs to think about proximity to employers, and you have the UMB/Commerce bank employees, federal courthouse, dept. of transportation, JE Dunn, Ozark Nat'l Life, Federal, City and County employees all with a couple of blocks. The Blackstone Hotel property would most likely benefit from acquiring the adjacent vacant lots and adding new structures. I've always been befuddled why there is that strange jog in Holmes between 8th and 9th streets. It wasn't there prior to 1958 on the Sanborn maps. I wonder if there is any plan to realign Holmes so you get a more square Blackstone Hotel block. That would add some room to extend a longer building on the south side of 8th Street.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1038297 ... a=!3m1!1e3
I'll reach out to Abnos this week just out of curiosity.

Looking at the parcels that surround the Blackstone, it seems like they could be easy gets since they're owned by the LCRA. Getting those and building smaller buildings in there would help increase density there, but the challenge becomes the affordable housing ordinance. The old buildings can be renovated without affordable units, the new stuff would have to include them. There's a fine line to walk here.

The benefit of being close to a parking garage, like these sites are, is that a parking agreement could be worked out. So that helps save on cost. And I understand some people like quieter areas to live in, but this area doesn't seem to be a place where you'd see residents out and walking around after sundown.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

For now. If the stadium goes into the East Village, those blocks north of 10th Street will likely get built out and the neighborhood will be infilled. What that neighborhood will need though is some retail spaces to provide some basic services to residents.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Fingers crossed, but I might have a full development team assembled and ready to roll. We review opportunities this week and whatever works, we will run with.

Enough homework was done on literally everything that I think each project that is rolled out ends up being well received by everyone. I hope to reveal more soon and might seek feedback from select users of this forum prior to anything going out.

Narrowing things down, running numbers, seeking feedback from others and repeating the process has led to different opportunities popping up and others, that once seemed obvious or ready to start, fading away. Some deals were also too difficult to work properly but would've yielded a project that fits the current market while others were easy to get going, but financially didn't work. The sites chosen fall within the sweet spot.