World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:07 am Hosting a party at P&L is the biggest sign to me we are in. I imagine there will be a live cut-in shot to the party once we are announced.
I’m involved personally and not a single person in this city knows for sure if we got it. Not the Mayor, Governor, and no one at Sporting. Could be many tears and a huge letdown but the other option is don’t have an event and risk missing out on a huge moment for this city.

I’d love a good leak because I don’t like public crying.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I saw somewhere that every potential host city has some sort of event planned for the announcement.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:57 pm I saw somewhere that every potential host city has some sort of event planned for the announcement.
True. We have worked with other bubble cities to make sure we are all doing something similar. There will be disappointment but I’m praying KC will be victorious.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Thanks for the info DC. Bubble popped lol
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:35 pm Thanks for the info DC. Bubble popped lol
I remain optimistic! fingers crossed.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

The launch party was never the indicator we're getting the games.

The indicator is that Edmonton is reportedly not getting games. They were the biggest roadblock. And potentially Guadalajara isn't either.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:02 pm The launch party was never the indicator we're getting the games.

The indicator is that Edmonton is reportedly not getting games. They were the biggest roadblock. And potentially Guadalajara isn't either.
The biggest indicator is rumor? So no indicators, got it.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:06 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:02 pm The launch party was never the indicator we're getting the games.

The biggest indicator is rumor? So no indicators, got it.
Two soccer reporters on twitter reported it. Both of them said it was because Edmonton was too inferior to better options in the US. It is already out there.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Either way it's not much of an indicator of KC getting games. Just increases the odds 1%.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:15 pm
KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:57 pm I saw somewhere that every potential host city has some sort of event planned for the announcement.
True. We have worked with other bubble cities to make sure we are all doing something similar. There will be disappointment but I’m praying KC will be victorious.
Denver said today their WC committee is only having a “private watch party”

Seems to me the watch parties do hold some indication atleast of what cities are out or still alive.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:25 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:15 pm
Denver said today their WC committee is only having a “private watch party”

Seems to me the watch parties do hold some indication atleast of what cities are out or still alive.
KC Live! expected to be at full capacity for Thursday's event. Should be exciting.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

If we loose, we learn. If we win, we win. At least we tried
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

normalthings wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:20 pm If we loose, we learn. If we win, we win. At least we tried
Exactly. Making it to this stage in the decision process is impressive itself. Obviously, it would be a letdown to not be selected.

And being able to say you're one of the host cities for the largest sporting event the world has ever seen -- truly remarkable for a city of our size...if we're fortunate on Thursday.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Link2 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:28 pm
normalthings wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:20 pm If we loose, we learn. If we win, we win. At least we tried
Exactly. Making it to this stage in the decision process is impressive itself. Obviously, it would be a letdown to not be selected.

And being able to say you're one of the host cities for the largest sporting event the world has ever seen -- truly remarkable for a city of our size...if we're fortunate on Thursday.
Olympics are always available!!!
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

^My dream is for an International Expo (or World's Fair) coupled with an Olympics. It's entirely possible too. Before I die, that's my goal - to bring those two to Kansas City and usher in a new era for the city and region. If they don't happen at the same time, then one after the other. I already have a part of the city chosen for this too.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

World's fairs are dead in the US, they cut all the funding like in the 80s, there is a great pbs documentary about the death of worlds fair in the US. I think it's called what happened to the world's fair
Last edited by brewcrew1000 on Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Are we talking about the Winter Olympics?
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:11 pm ^My dream is for an International Expo (or World's Fair) coupled with an Olympics. It's entirely possible too. Before I die, that's my goal - to bring those two to Kansas City and usher in a new era for the city and region. If they don't happen at the same time, then one after the other. I already have a part of the city chosen for this too.
A high speed rail line (Hyperloop??) between KC and StL would make a great olympics, with some events in Kansas and Illinois that could provide some additional out of state funding.

I read an article a year or two ago that mentioned Dallas was discouraged from becoming a candidate because it didn't have enough of a 'world presence,' which is a little hard to believe with the cachet of cowboys, THE Cowboys, the tv show and the fact that it's the fourth largest metro in the US. But if places like Cincy, Tulsa and Minneapolis bid, why not KC/StL?
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

There have to be better ways to spend $5+ billion than on the Olympics
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

phuqueue wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:21 am There have to be better ways to spend $5+ billion than on the Olympics
If you did it right, the $5 billion or so spent on an Olympic Park would lead to significantly more investment in a surrounding area. London did it right by more or less masterplanning how the area around their Olympic Park would be built up over the years. Since the event 10 years ago, it’s become a big time asset anchored with residential and commercial developments while the park has become a popular place to relax, get exercise, and attend events at former Olympic venues. There’s no doubt that the same could be done here, just on a different scale. Other cities fail to leverage Olympic Park stuff and then it becomes a waste of money. If you’re going to have the Olympics, the intention has to be to retain, and reuse, some venues and the athletes housing while creating other anchors to grow off of as time goes on. In KC, it’s entirely possible to do this in our own way that most people would be proud of.
brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:07 pm World's fairs are dead in the US, they cut all the funding like in the 80s, there is a great pbs documentary about the death of worlds fair in the US. I think it's called what happened to the world's fair
Privately funded is always an option with the Local, State and maybe even Federal governments contributing on infrastructure enhancements for such an event. They might have stripped the funding, but we know that deep inside the governments wouldn’t want to pass up an opportunity to create a showcase.