World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:08 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:28 am It does probably help that
3. KC hasn’t had any issues
Besides the lack of transit, hotel rooms, distance to stadium/airport, etc.
No not issues like that. Process issues. Like we haven’t to change our stadium, or lose the cities support. Things that have happened *during* the process.

And if you wanna talk about distance to stadiums, boy I have news for you on Boston & DC…
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

I would not classify those as actual issues pertaining to KC's bid. Sure, it would be great to have expansive public transit and a venue closer to Downtown. The bid of course includes extensive plans to be put in place to address transit to/from the stadium

It's anticipated that the KC metro will have at least 39,000-40,000 hotel rooms in its inventory by 2026. If including the 2-hour radius in the estimate, that inventory jumps to approximately 55,000 estimated by that time. We have the room inventory needed for the event.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Link2 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:42 pm
I would not classify those as actual issues pertaining to KC's bid. Sure, it would be great to have expansive public transit and a venue closer to Downtown. The bid of course includes extensive plans to be put in place to address transit to/from the stadium

It's anticipated that the KC metro will have at least 39,000-40,000 hotel rooms in its inventory by 2026. If including the 2-hour radius in the estimate, that inventory jumps to approximately 55,000 estimated by that time. We have the room inventory needed for the event.
He and others have failed to realize that hotels & rail aren't the only things that matter for a bid. And that other cities have problems too, in different ways. Denver has an altitude problem. Boston's stadium is 40 mins away. DC's stadium is crumbling to the ground. Nashville is rushing to maybe try to build a new stadium by 2026. Other cities have issues for this bid too, alot worse than ours if I'm being frank.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:15 pm

He and others have failed to realize that hotels & rail aren't the only things that matter for a bid. And that other cities have problems too, in different ways. Denver has an altitude problem. Boston's stadium is 40 mins away. DC's stadium is crumbling to the ground. Nashville is rushing to maybe try to build a new stadium by 2026. Other cities have issues for this bid too, alot worse than ours if I'm being frank.
Don't think I said everyone was perfect BUT kc. I am saying KC lacks in some of the most important areas.

The movement of 100,000 people to and from the stadium, to and from the airport, 5 times in a week or so is a massive lift. Housing those people is a massive lift.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:45 pm

Don't think I said everyone was perfect BUT kc. I am saying KC lacks in some of the most important areas.

The movement of 100,000 people to and from the stadium, to and from the airport, 5 times in a week or so is a massive lift. Housing those people is a massive lift.
Not quite 100,000 each time -- but I get the point. The number of times this would need to be accomplished won't be known until sometime in 2023 when the match schedule is finalized.

I've addressed housing in my previous comment -- it won't be an issue.

Such a weird reaction to critique at this point in the process.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Last edited by AlkaliAxel on Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Link2 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:09 pm
normalthings wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:45 pm

Not quite 100,000 each time -- but I get the point. The number of times this would need to be accomplished won't be known until sometime in 2023 when the match schedule is finalized.

I've addressed housing in my previous comment -- it won't be an issue.

Such a weird reaction to critique at this point in the process.
These are 2 of 3/4 important categories that have also been hurting our day-to-day convention business.

1. Lack of committable downtown hotel rooms Loews helps but not enough available to win back big conventions we lost.
2. Transportation Issues (Hotel to CC, Hotel & CC to City Amenities, Airport to Hotel, etc). Only 1 sizable downtown hotel project I can think of (Embassy). Amenities (including stadiums) are still pretty spread out with no real changes coming.
3. Airport Issues Fixed the airport, have yet to increase connectivity
4. Lack of upper-upscale and luxury hotels nothing in the pipeline, CC could use an update

I don't agree with you on the housing comments either. Transportation and Hotels are areas the powers to be pointed out as our weak spots. We have far fewer rooms in the city and metro than competitors, and far older/not as nice. The rooms we do have are far from the stadium (which I hit with my transpo comment). Staying at a hotel in St. Joseph or Chillicothe is far from an ideal guest experience.

For example....
Nashville has 35,787 hotel rooms in Davidson County and 53,189 rooms in the Nashville MSA.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG!!!!!!!

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouv ... monton-out

Fingers crossed but I think that seals it!!!
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

There are alot of rumors flying around about FIFA also dropping Guadalajara from the race and going with 12 US cities now. A WaPo reporter floated the idea for 12 US cities a week ago and it seems to have legs now.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Holland said the metro area will need to get engaged with legacy projects tied to the World Cup that benefit the community.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... ccer.html
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:05 am
Holland said the metro area will need to get engaged with legacy projects tied to the World Cup that benefit the community.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... ccer.html
Such as?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Hosting a party at P&L is the biggest sign to me we are in. I imagine there will be a live cut-in shot to the party once we are announced.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:07 am Hosting a party at P&L is the biggest sign to me we are in. I imagine there will be a live cut-in shot to the party once we are announced.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves 8)

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they put together an event to announce KC as a training/team host site vs. game site - some of the comments over the last several weeks have seemed to hedge in that direction. Wouldn't really be a win IMO.

That said, fingers crossed!
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

rxlexi wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:19 am
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:07 am Hosting a party at P&L is the biggest sign to me we are in. I imagine there will be a live cut-in shot to the party once we are announced.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves 8)

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they put together an event to announce KC as a training/team host site vs. game site - some of the comments over the last several weeks have seemed to hedge in that direction. Wouldn't really be a win IMO.

That said, fingers crossed!
No, we were in the minute Edmonton got cut from the field yesterday. Now they’re going with 11 US cities. and that’s gonna get us in.

It looks like Guadalajara might be out as well, which would put the US to 12 cities.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Party for a training site? Nah.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Are they calling this a party or is it more of a meeting for the announcement?

I just hope we don't copy Chicago's mistake and have a scene like this:

KC is the way to be!
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:36 pm Party for a training site? Nah.
Yeah there's no way. Honestly fuck them trying to hype up the "we'll atleast be getting a training site!" non-sense like nobody cares.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I’m just curious how many days before the “official announcement” the cities leak. Way to many moving parts to keep that under wraps until Thursday. My bet is someone will leak the map by Sunday.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:35 pm I’m just curious how many days before the “official announcement” the cities leak. Way to many moving parts to keep that under wraps until Thursday. My bet is someone will leak the map by Sunday.
Canada got leaked yesterday. So I'm sure just a matter of days before US & Mexico are leaked.
Sirius_Blue
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Sirius_Blue »

If the announcement is positive, I imagine a subglutal-fire situation regarding the streetcar and other perpetual projects around downtown/Midtown.