Arabia Steamboat Museum Looking for New Home

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Arabia Steamboat Museum Looking for New Home

Post by missingkc »

Perhaps there's a very good reason, but why was PortKC not interested in this for Berkley Park? Or the Town of Kansas?
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Perhaps there's a very good reason, but why was PortKC not interested in this for Berkley Park? Or the Town of Kansas? This will be such a loss and no one seems to be interested in preventing it from happening.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

missingkc wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:36 pm Perhaps there's a very good reason, but why was PortKC not interested in this for Berkley Park? Or the Town of Kansas? This will be such a loss and no one seems to be interested in preventing it from happening.
The museum has never shown an interest in paying for their facilities. St. Charles will build or incent them a new facility. I hear the designs are great.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

I don't know why KC couldn't have stepped up in the same way as St. Charles.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

missingkc wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:47 pm I don't know why KC couldn't have stepped up in the same way as St. Charles.
Didn't they try and succeed in shutting down some of the concerts and other RM events? Don't want that attitude in RM or RF.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There are numerous sunken riverboats in the Missouri River bottoms. Perhaps it would be a better investment for the City to fund another group to dig up wrecked boats, and end up owning the relics. That way you don't have a situation where a museum owner is constantly trying to threaten to move the museum.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

moderne wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:46 pm Looks almost certain KC will lose this attraction to St. Charles.
Good! Now we can do something much better with that prime location.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

I don't understand the negative attitude on here toward the Arabia exhibit. Have you been? It is KC's 3rd largest tourist draw. Interesting stuff. People love it. It's apparently not in the best facility or location, either for the city or the museum. That doesn't warrant the "hasta la vista, baby" response it seems to be getting from the city or from people on this site.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

normalthings wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:08 pm
missingkc wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:36 pm Perhaps there's a very good reason, but why was PortKC not interested in this for Berkley Park? Or the Town of Kansas? This will be such a loss and no one seems to be interested in preventing it from happening.
The museum has never shown an interest in paying for their facilities. St. Charles will build or incent them a new facility. I hear the designs are great.
It's not the museum itself, it's the manner in which the owner of the exhibit has been on a shakedown tour for years. After a while, people get tired of it.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:01 am
normalthings wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:08 pm
It's not the museum itself, it's the manner in which the owner of the exhibit has been on a shakedown tour for years. After a while, people get tired of it.
I also understand that

River Salvage Inc

Is not a non-profit.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

missingkc wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:34 am I don't understand the negative attitude on here toward the Arabia exhibit. Have you been? It is KC's 3rd largest tourist draw. Interesting stuff. People love it. It's apparently not in the best facility or location, either for the city or the museum. That doesn't warrant the "hasta la vista, baby" response it seems to be getting from the city or from people on this site.
Draw for museums?
1. Nelson Atkins
2. WW1 Museum

(Giant cliff)

3. Steamboat Arabia
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:00 am
missingkc wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:34 am I don't understand the negative attitude on here toward the Arabia exhibit. Have you been? It is KC's 3rd largest tourist draw. Interesting stuff. People love it. It's apparently not in the best facility or location, either for the city or the museum. That doesn't warrant the "hasta la vista, baby" response it seems to be getting from the city or from people on this site.
Draw for museums?
1. Nelson Atkins
2. WW1 Museum

(Giant cliff)

3. Steamboat Arabia
Kemper should definitely be 3rd
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Riverite wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:33 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:00 am
Draw for museums?
1. Nelson Atkins
2. WW1 Museum

(Giant cliff)

3. Steamboat Arabia
Kemper should definitely be 3rd
I guess it will be soon. But I hate seeing Steamboat Arabia leave. In a city without that many cultural attractions, it was a good way to spend a morning. Everyone I've taken there has been impressed. It was well executed and I think the city should be a little more proactive in keeping it here.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Totally agree.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Highlander wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:38 pm But I hate seeing Steamboat Arabia leave. In a city without that many cultural attractions, it was a good way to spend a morning. Everyone I've taken there has been impressed.
For a city our size we have alot of cultural attractions. The Nelson, WW1 museum & Liberty Memorial are both extremely well ranked museums. Having one of those is maybe standard, have two is awesome. The Arabia museum adds nothing to that museum collection firepower.
https://www.missouribusinessalert.com/n ... 8dfe3.html

If there is going to be a museum with the potential to add anything one day, it'll be the Laugh-O-Gram studio & Walt Disney. There's actual globally well-known history attached to that.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Losing the Steamboat Arabia museum would be a shame. It’s a great history museum, especially chronicling the history of KC. KC needs to invest in more museums not less. I’d love for this one to find a new home in KC and not move to STL area. Surely there could be a spot for it in the West Bottoms & all of their recent buzz. Move to the old Star Press building? But I think someone in our community would step up to keep a culturally distinct exhibit of local history alive. I’ve been a few times and I was impressed by what they have & continue to expand. Perhaps e en incorporate into a larger Natural History museum that tells the history of our city & surrounding region
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

dukuboy1 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:55 pm Losing the Steamboat Arabia museum would be a shame. It’s a great history museum, especially chronicling the history of KC. KC needs to invest in more museums not less. I’d love for this one to find a new home in KC and not move to STL area. Surely there could be a spot for it in the West Bottoms & all of their recent buzz. Move to the old Star Press building? But I think someone in our community would step up to keep a culturally distinct exhibit of local history alive. I’ve been a few times and I was impressed by what they have & continue to expand. Perhaps e en incorporate into a larger Natural History museum that tells the history of our city & surrounding region
Would be a different story if this was a non-profit like WW1, Laugh O Gram, etc. This is a business shopping cities for the best incentive/dev package.

I like the place but it’s hard to like the people behind it.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

interesting, I do not know much about the people behind, beyond I believe they are from the area and have operated a successful business and preserved a piece of our history in the artifacts and such on display. Are they greedy lowlifes just looking to profit? I have not seen or get that vibe but it could be there just behind the curtains so to speak. As I side I am not aware of them beyond the product they have which is very good.

I guess a non-profit setup would be better and I'm sure at the end of the day those who own it could be just as profitable personally just looking at the accounting a bit different
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

This is a top attraction in KC and an anchor attraction for the river market district. It fits absolutely perfectly with the river market. It would be really sad to see it go.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't want to see it leave KC but not a fan of them at the current location. That would be better used as an indoor portion of the market similar to the Cleveland one.