KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Transportation topics in KC
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by herrfrank »

^Believe it or not, a lot of business travelers prefer a longer nonstop -- when I worked in Moscow in the 90s, a colleague from Bechtel's home office far preferred to do SFO-FRA-SVO rather than SFO-JFK-SVO on Delta (Delta was still operating the PanAm 'worldhub' in Frankfurt, leftover from the allied partition of Germany's flight freedoms after the war).

Likewise, I prefer to take MIA-EuropeHub-EuropeSmallCity flights rather than MIA-NYC-EuropeSmallCity flights. You can actually get six or seven hours of sleep. Those NYC and BOS flights to Europe are so short that you don't get enough shut-eye.

I suspect MCI would experience the same situation. People would prefer to fly MCI-EuropeanHub-EuropeanSmallCity rather than a cxn on the east coast.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Not to mention how many would utilize mci to europeanhub in and of itself
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Doing some reading….. Kempers helped back or donated to STL getting their Lufthansa flight. Kemper’s please help us get CDG!
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

normalthings wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:45 pm Doing some reading….. Kempers helped back or donated to STL getting their Lufthansa flight. Kemper’s please help us get CDG!

Hopefully, at this point they shouldn’t need any help. If they can’t get it done with the 5 mil the state is throwing in then things might be a bigger issue than we think.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

dev49 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:58 pm
normalthings wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:45 pm Doing some reading….. Kempers helped back or donated to STL getting their Lufthansa flight. Kemper’s please help us get CDG!

Hopefully, at this point they shouldn’t need any help. If they can’t get it done with the 5 mil the state is throwing in then things might be a bigger issue than we think.
IND increased incentive package past $5.5 million
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

normalthings wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:56 am
dev49 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:58 pm

IND increased incentive package past $5.5 million
We aren’t jumping them for BA anyway so that doesn’t matter to me. I’ve already concluded they will be get BA next year. We either wait til 2024 for BA, which even then I’m not convinced they come, or go after Delta/someone else.

5 mil should be plenty. Either way.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

Alaska cut Portland back to 4x a week for July and August then it cut completely from September thru mid March 2023. That’s disappointing. Seems like that’s a route that should have plenty of demand.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Agreed with the above -- PDX to MCI should be at least daily. SEA is 2x daily plus lots of connections. Alaska has some other problems, however, that have nothing to do with routings.

The upthread comment about the Kempers got me thinking about STL. KC needs more power in the Jeff City legislature. This is partly a problem of JoCo being in Kansas. I do love the Lou, but KC is the metro with the brighter future. Without the rich suburbs (that are in KS), however, KC loses a lot of regional political clout.

The Kempers mostly lived in Mission Hills btw, at least the UMB (Crosby) branch. And Mission Hills, love it or leave it, will always be in Kansas.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Not sure if it’s always like this, but on my JetBlue flight from JFK Airport this afternoon, it seemed to be 95% full. Hopefully more JetBlue flights will be added to other destinations as well. KC is the lone destination in the heartland for them.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:14 pm Not sure if it’s always like this, but on my JetBlue flight from JFK Airport this afternoon, it seemed to be 95% full. Hopefully more JetBlue flights will be added to other destinations as well. KC is the lone destination in the heartland for them.
Good to hear. Hoping the demand being up and capacity being down helps some of these newer routes fill up.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

IND only offering $4 million for Europe flights. KC may end up landing BA
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

langosta wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:04 pm IND only offering $4 million for Europe flights. KC may end up landing BA
I'd rather have CDG or AMS, but I'd sure love to beat Indy in just about anything.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

langosta wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:04 pm IND only offering $4 million for Europe flights. KC may end up landing BA
What’s the situation here exactly?
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

I think BA to Indy probably going to happen is how I read it. The incentive is only good if they agree to it by the end of the year. I don’t think they would put that in if they didn’t think it was basically done.

Also that 4 mil is only what is coming from the airport in few waivers and marketing. More is coming from the state.

But then again I am hoping for Delta/KLM so I wouldn’t mind if BA goes to Indy.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

Frontier adding daily to Vegas starting August 9

https://news.flyfrontier.com/frontier-a ... tinations/
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

dev49 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:48 pm Alaska cut Portland back to 4x a week for July and August then it cut completely from September thru mid March 2023. That’s disappointing. Seems like that’s a route that should have plenty of demand.
That may reflect staffing issues at Alaska rather than any lack of demand for the route. Hopefully, the fact that the new terminal should open in mid-March of net year is not a coincidence, and we'll see the route return once the new terminal is open.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

Southwest bringing back RDU on Saturdays in November and December.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

This probably doesn’t help the chances of a new international flight being to Amsterdam.

Gov is cutting back how many movements it can have a year by over 10%

https://apnews.com/article/netherlands- ... 9453b58f21
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Cargo up another 30% this year. Mail up 98%.

St. Louis is down 13% showing relative strength in the KC market. I don’t think the UPS expansion at KCI has opened either.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

dev49 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:43 pm This probably doesn’t help the chances of a new international flight being to Amsterdam.

Gov is cutting back how many movements it can have a year by over 10%

https://apnews.com/article/netherlands- ... 9453b58f21
I am no expert, but I would say that more of those less profitable short haul routes would be on the chopping block as landing fees would be going up. A potential subsidized international route probably would just mean ticket prices are more expensive.