OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Post by GRID »

^ You can tell that from the renderings. It looks like a section 8 housing project.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

One thing worse than the Cordish Curtain Wall of Monotony is the Port Authority completely blowing the opportunity to properly expand the urbanity of downtown. Instead it's basically a suburban Interstate outer road development.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

earthling wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:25 am One thing worse than the Cordish Curtain Wall of Monotony is the Port Authority completely blowing the opportunity to properly expand the urbanity of downtown. Instead it's basically a suburban Interstate outer road development.
I'm not sure you can place too much blame on the Port Authority. I don't much like the short design either, but I don't know if that area would financially support higher build. You're competing with other similar developments in NKC, Crossroads, Crown Center, etc. I don't know if people would pay extra for a 10th floor unit with the same view as a 3rd floor unit. Height growth seems to be a second stage of urban development when all the empty lots are used up and single-story buildings are torn down for much higher ones.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Riverite wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:04 am
freedog wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:00 am
Sirius_Blue wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:55 am

Like many other city officials, scared of the blowback from speaking out even slightly against KC Tenants and their methods.
Yeah Q wants to be Gov/Senator of MO. Optics of pushing back against KCT probably wouldn't play well
Probably would play well to be honest, there is zero chance they make a meaningful difference in the race for MO gov. A pro business and development Democrat like Sly would be way more likely in my opinion.
This is the correct analysis. Sly James has a much greater chance of being elected governor or senator than Quintan Lucas by a mile. To win those seats, you have to pull in rural and suburban voters (non-KCMO), I can see those voters going for Sly James, but not Quintan Lucas. I think Sly could also raise more money than Quintan.

However, I haven't seen any evidence that Sly wants to run for higher office.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

FangKC wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:00 pm
Riverite wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:04 am
freedog wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:00 am

Yeah Q wants to be Gov/Senator of MO. Optics of pushing back against KCT probably wouldn't play well
Probably would play well to be honest, there is zero chance they make a meaningful difference in the race for MO gov. A pro business and development Democrat like Sly would be way more likely in my opinion.
This is the correct analysis. Sly James has a much greater chance of being elected governor or senator than Quintan Lucas by a mile. To win those seats, you have to pull in rural and suburban voters (non-KCMO), I can see those voters going for Sly James, but not Quintan Lucas. I think Sly could also raise more money than Quintan.

However, I haven't seen any evidence that Sly wants to run for higher office.
It makes sense if he doesn't want to run for higher office. His legacy as mayor is solid and full of achievements. Why run for a higher office and potentially lose or get caught up in the mess that is higher office?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

GRID wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:50 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:20 am What they need to be fighting is these sprawling greenfield developments that while they don't necessarily get the initial tax abatement that everybody can point to and get enraged about, the long term maintenance costs to the city for those developments is significant and never stops
I don't understand why more people don't understand this. Especially people running a city.

This development is taking a dead piece of property that produces no economic revenue and turns into something that will bring millions of dollars to the city even with incentives. The roads are already there. The sewers are there. The police and fire protection are there. Developing the property will make the already existing riverfront park more utilized. It will help the city subsidized city market by providing more customers. It will bring hundreds of Etax paying citizens to the city. The footprint of the residents will use a fraction of the infrastructure that a single family subdivision would use or even a suburban apartment complex would use.

Even with incentives, projects like this are FAR better long term for the city than anything in the Northland. And most of the commercial development and apartment complexes in the Northland have some incentives. If the city only allowed projects like this with incentives and stopped allowing development in the Northland without incentives, the city would be much better off in 20 years.

The city has got to figure this out.
We have never had a mayor who explains this to residents. It should be the mayor's job to educate the public, since they are the primary spokesperson for the City. It's been evident for a while that most residents don't understand incentive use; or how density benefits them in the long run, and the overall financial health of the City.

I can tell by reading Facebook comments when news articles are posted that the vast majority of residents don't understand what they are criticizing. Many seem to think that City officials push a big wheelbarrow full of cash (their tax dollars) into developers' offices, and gives it to them to build things.

This is how groups like KC tenants can get away with their ill-conceived protests. They don't have any real solution to the affordable housing crisis, and they will likely end up making things worse.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

FangKC wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:07 am
GRID wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:50 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:20 am What they need to be fighting is these sprawling greenfield developments that while they don't necessarily get the initial tax abatement that everybody can point to and get enraged about, the long term maintenance costs to the city for those developments is significant and never stops
I don't understand why more people don't understand this. Especially people running a city.

This development is taking a dead piece of property that produces no economic revenue and turns into something that will bring millions of dollars to the city even with incentives. The roads are already there. The sewers are there. The police and fire protection are there. Developing the property will make the already existing riverfront park more utilized. It will help the city subsidized city market by providing more customers. It will bring hundreds of Etax paying citizens to the city. The footprint of the residents will use a fraction of the infrastructure that a single family subdivision would use or even a suburban apartment complex would use.

Even with incentives, projects like this are FAR better long term for the city than anything in the Northland. And most of the commercial development and apartment complexes in the Northland have some incentives. If the city only allowed projects like this with incentives and stopped allowing development in the Northland without incentives, the city would be much better off in 20 years.

The city has got to figure this out.
We have never had a mayor who explains this to residents. It should be the mayor's job to educate the public, since they are the primary spokesperson for the City. It's been evident for a while that most residents don't understand incentive use; or how density benefits them in the long run, and the overall financial health of the City.

I can tell by reading Facebook comments when news articles are posted that the vast majority of residents don't understand what they are criticizing. Many seem to think that City officials push a big wheelbarrow full of cash (their tax dollars) into developers' offices, and gives it to them to build things.

This is how groups like KC tenants can get away with their ill-conceived protests. They don't have any real solution to the affordable housing crisis, and they will likely end up making things worse.
I gotta feeling at least one of their reps will make an attempt at City Council.
Sirius_Blue
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Sirius_Blue »

I gotta feeling at least one of their reps will make an attempt at City Council.

Oh...oh NO. That would be unpleasant, to say the least.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Sirius_Blue wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:12 am

Oh...oh NO. That would be unpleasant, to say the least.
Detrimental would be a more apt term for that situation
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

did someone say more apts?? huff puff huff puff etc
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

Pardon me for being a bit ignorant here, but what (if any) is the next path forward for this project? Well, for this project and others like the MAC project on Armour & Main? Are these just dead or is there other hope for them?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

SilentSpades24 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:32 pm Pardon me for being a bit ignorant here, but what (if any) is the next path forward for this project? Well, for this project and others like the MAC project on Armour & Main? Are these just dead or is there other hope for them?
Case by case. This one is being reevaluated, and PortKC head really wants this to happen so I imagine they come to some agreement
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:45 pm
SilentSpades24 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:32 pm Pardon me for being a bit ignorant here, but what (if any) is the next path forward for this project? Well, for this project and others like the MAC project on Armour & Main? Are these just dead or is there other hope for them?
Case by case. This one is being reevaluated, and PortKC head really wants this to happen so I imagine they come to some agreement
I really hope so, seeing projects like this, 3rd & Grand, and Mac on Main get shot down sets an awful precedent for the city and it would be maddening to see these fall to KC Commies...I mean Tenants.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

SilentSpades24 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:59 pm
I really hope so, seeing projects like this, 3rd & Grand, and Mac on Main get shot down sets an awful precedent for the city and it would be maddening to see these fall to KC Commies...I mean Tenants.
Ashland came back. Granted, it wasn't killed by KC Tenants, but atleast there is something of a precedent for reviving projects.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I don’t think this project had a full final vote vs the other did. Not entirely sure though
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:05 am
I don’t think this project had a full final vote vs the other did. Not entirely sure though
Pretty sure that’s correct. It was just the port authorities initial meeting on it from my understanding. Chris would have more info on the technicalities
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

The MAC project will also come back.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

chaglang wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:34 am
Give it a few years yes
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

normalthings wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:44 pm
Give it a few years yes
I think it will be sooner on the Mac project. I bet we hear something fairly soon.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:56 pm
normalthings wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:44 pm

Give it a few years yes
I think it will be sooner on the Mac project. I bet we hear something fairly soon.
Agreed. I don't think it'll be too long.