Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by KCPowercat »

Less than a mile from crossroads stop to the possible entrance to a stadium in the east crossroads. People will walk that. There would also be alternatives ways to get there that don't include parking within a block.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

kboish wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:04 am Without making comment on which site is preferable, one thing that is getting absurd is KCPS role in development. Fine if they think they want to provide input on the level of tax incentive...but now that they seem to explicitly want to actually direct the location and type of developments it seems like they are over stepping. It seems like they really think they know how development in the city should play out and any one that has other ideas is just trying to hurt the district. They seem to revel in the power play tactics.
Tearing down their old HQ should negate any input that KCPS gives towards development issues.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Nobody will go to downtown after games if it’s Vine. It’ll just be TSC redux where everyone just goes home. I can even see a contingent thinking it’s too dangerous to hang around after a game, believe me.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

GRID wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:34 am If 25,000 people go to a game in the jazz district, I'm sure that a good amount of them would make it to the P&L district before and after the games and they would be the actual customers of the district, not just people parking in the P&L garages.
How? Explain what this would look like. Walk from P&L to 18th and Vine? Get back in your car to go to the game? Another streetcar line?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Walk from ballpark gate at Troost and Truman to P&L.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

moderne wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:55 pm Walk from ballpark gate at Troost and Truman to P&L.
.6 miles. Would need to make the ped experience 100x better but definitely doable.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:17 pm Less than a mile from crossroads stop to the possible entrance to a stadium in the east crossroads. People will walk that. There would also be alternatives ways to get there that don't include parking within a block.
Like a recently completed transit center, 2 MAX lines, and 2 proposed MAX lines? ... Oh, wait was thinking EV my bad.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

There isn't a stop on 18th but is one on 12th 18V adds another block to the walk from streetcar.
Last edited by daGOAT on Mon May 16, 2022 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

moderne wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:55 pm Walk from ballpark gate at Troost and Truman to P&L.
Taking No Other Pub as an example & mapping to the Manual Career Tech Center
17 minute 0.8 mile walk (over/under 2 highways)

No Other Pub to the 1180 Holmes St Parking Lot
11 minute 0.5 mile walk (through P&L, down 12th street past historic City Hall)
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

It really is a no brainer lol
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:05 pm
.6 miles. Would need to make the ped experience 100x better but definitely doable.
16th street mall to Coors field, Laclede's Landing to Busch for examples people may have experienced.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Laclede's Landing suffers from being disconnected and that's with actual LRT......
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

daGOAT wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:11 pm Laclede's Landing suffers from being disconnected and that's with actual LRT......
Yes it does. My point was the walking distance between the two that many on this site may have experienced.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:09 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:05 pm
16th street mall to Coors field, Laclede's Landing to Busch for examples people may have experienced.
And that isn’t an easy walk in Denver either…
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:12 pm
daGOAT wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:11 pm Laclede's Landing suffers from being disconnected and that's with actual LRT......
Yes it does. My point was the walking distance between the two that many on this site may have experienced.
Than why support a disconnected stadium in a neighborhood with conflicting goals and lackluster infrastructure? One that may already have a development in place anyway.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm open to either spot. I see positives and negatives for both. It's ultimately up to the Royals what they can get aligned. I like the tie in with 18th and Vine to help activate that entertainment district. Both sites can utilize our already established infrastructure.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

freedog wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:14 pm
GRID wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:00 pm ^ But that has to be a part of the original project and go up at the same time or I just don't see these surrounding towers going up. One 20 story building every 5-10 years is not going to get it done.

Think about this. If the Sprint Center had gone up as a stand alone project and Cordish was not going up at the same time, what would the area around the arena look like today?

I'm sorry, but I think it would look more like it does east of Grand than it now does west of Grand. I mean almost nothing has happened east of Grand directly around the arena since the arena was built and that's been what over ten years. More parking lots have come.

There has to be plan that can be implemented and will be implemented at the same time.
What I take from the whole the "Atlanta stadium is the model" discussion is that there would be a plan beyond the stadium. Stadium as the anchor, but other mixed use developments would be part of the initial build out.
So then it's hard to discuss this without seeing such plans. Either of these plans will help the east side if done right. EV has to bring West Paseo into the downtown urban fabric. I just don't want to see West Paseo turning into a bunch of parking lots and that is very possible.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:21 pm I'm open to either spot. I see positives and negatives for both. It's ultimately up to the Royals what they can get aligned. I like the tie in with 18th and Vine to help activate that entertainment district. Both sites can utilize our already established infrastructure.
I agree it depends on the funding arrangement, however the organization paying a large chunk of the bill is reportedly set on a location, as well as major backers in JE Dunn and Cordish Co. I would still be happy with a Jazz district stadium I just seen more flaws in the idea of it.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

GRID wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:22 pm
freedog wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:14 pm
GRID wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:00 pm ^ But that has to be a part of the original project and go up at the same time or I just don't see these surrounding towers going up. One 20 story building every 5-10 years is not going to get it done.

Think about this. If the Sprint Center had gone up as a stand alone project and Cordish was not going up at the same time, what would the area around the arena look like today?

I'm sorry, but I think it would look more like it does east of Grand than it now does west of Grand. I mean almost nothing has happened east of Grand directly around the arena since the arena was built and that's been what over ten years. More parking lots have come.

There has to be plan that can be implemented and will be implemented at the same time.
What I take from the whole the "Atlanta stadium is the model" discussion is that there would be a plan beyond the stadium. Stadium as the anchor, but other mixed use developments would be part of the initial build out.
So then it's hard to discuss this without seeing such plans. Either of these plans will help the east side if done right. EV has to bring West Paseo into the downtown urban fabric. I just don't want to see West Paseo turning into a bunch of parking lots and that is very possible.
Agree 100%, would hate to see Paseo West turn into a bunch of parking lots
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Everything daGOAT is saying is exactly right