UMKC projects

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: UMKC projects

Post by normalthings »

$80-100 million UMKC Med School expansion looks to have received some state funds in the new Budget. Around $40 million unless something changed in the final budget
iamrealz
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by iamrealz »

normalthings wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:21 pm $80-100 million UMKC Med School expansion looks to have received some state funds in the new Budget. Around $40 million unless something changed in the final budget
There's a tweet from Bunch, obviously in support. Not sure where he got the render from.

https://twitter.com/EricWBunch/status/1 ... 2059530240
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

iamrealz wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:01 pm
normalthings wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:21 pm $80-100 million UMKC Med School expansion looks to have received some state funds in the new Budget. Around $40 million unless something changed in the final budget
There's a tweet from Bunch, obviously in support. Not sure where he got the render from.

https://twitter.com/EricWBunch/status/1 ... 2059530240

Up to a $180,000,000 project as suggested by the budget Language
ection 20.825. To the Office of Administration
2 For the Department of Higher Education and Workforce Development
3 For the University of Missouri-Kansas City for the construction and/or
4 renovation needs for a Health Sciences District Development
5 including related planning, design, acquisitions, project
6 management, equipment and start-up costs, provided that any grant
7 awards disbursed from this appropriation shall be matched on a
8 50/50 basis by the recipient for project costs up to sixty million
9 ($60,000,000); and further provided project costs over sixty
10 million ($60,000,000) shall be matched on a 25/75 basis by the
11 recipient
12 From Coronavirus State FiscalRecovery - Revenue Replacement
13 Fund (2464). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $40,000,000
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

$180 mil project? How much will this impact UMKC’s standing
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It depends on what the additional funds will be spent on. More research facilities would likely improve UMKC's standing.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:40 pm $180 mil project? How much will this impact UMKC’s standing
They need billions in capital investment to catch up to our peers across the state. Truman would also need a major revamp and expansion.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Very reliable source tells me their firm is working on a designing a new basketball venue for UMKC basketball team. Unsure on campus or the location yet. Also was told UMKC hasn't decided if they're gonna move forward with it, but this is definitely being considered enough so that they're designing it.

I'm guessing this has everything to do with UMKC trying to leap into Missouri Valley Conference.
Last edited by AlkaliAxel on Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:49 pm Very reliable source tells me they're working on a designing a new basketball venue for UMKC basketball team. Unsure on campus or the location yet. Also was told UMKC hasn't decided if they're gonna move forward with it, but this is definitely being considered enough so that they're designing it.

I'm guessing this has everything to do with UMKC trying to leap into Missouri Valley Conference.
Let's go! Kangaroos deserve the investment.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Most of these have been mentioned elsewhere, but I hadn't heard about the university wanting to pedestrianize 51st st right by the Linda Hall library

https://kctoday.6amcity.com/umkc-pedest ... evelopment

Also mentions $4 million towards renovating the UMKC Conservatory. Still bummed the project by the PAC is dead.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Which PAC? The Olsen Performing Arts Center on campus or the Kauffman Center downtown? One is a PAC the other is KCPA.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

moderne wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:05 pm Which PAC? The Olsen Performing Arts Center on campus or the Kauffman Center downtown? One is a PAC the other is KCPA.
They are expanding on campus I think?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

moderne wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:05 pm Which PAC? The Olsen Performing Arts Center on campus or the Kauffman Center downtown? One is a PAC the other is KCPA.
Meant the Kauffman. My bad
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Would love to see them get out from under the UM system. I know it has major benefits but UMSL is the step child of sorts in STL. Would be interesting to see UKC & Rockhurst grow along a path like Wash U & SLU. Pile dream I’m sure, especially with KC’s proximity to KU. But still would love to see something like that.
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

Now that the streetcar is being built to their front door, I wonder if UMKC has reconsidered building the conservatory south of the Kauffman. The site sits vacant and they haven't built it on their campus yet.

Is it true that UMKC at one time wanted to put their school of law in the old Federal Courthouse? I worked on the apartment conversion, ten plus years ago, and know the courtrooms were sealed shut at that time. It would be an easy building to convert for college uses.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

dukuboy1 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:50 am Would love to see them get out from under the UM system. I know it has major benefits but UMSL is the step child of sorts in STL. Would be interesting to see UKC & Rockhurst grow along a path like Wash U & SLU. Pile dream I’m sure, especially with KC’s proximity to KU. But still would love to see something like that.
UMKC is the 2nd priority of the UM system behind Mizzou. UMSL is considered a community college by everyone I know in STL and given the stats it is.

Taking UMKC/Rockhurt into a WashU would take 60 years and tens of billions.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

langosta wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:11 pm
dukuboy1 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:50 am Would love to see them get out from under the UM system. I know it has major benefits but UMSL is the step child of sorts in STL. Would be interesting to see UKC & Rockhurst grow along a path like Wash U & SLU. Pile dream I’m sure, especially with KC’s proximity to KU. But still would love to see something like that.
UMKC is the 2nd priority of the UM system behind Mizzou. UMSL is considered a community college by everyone I know in STL and given the stats it is.

Taking UMKC/Rockhurt into a WashU would take 60 years and tens of billions.
Wash U is a pipedream. Even with tens of billions, could UMKC/Rockhurst have the level of prestige that Wash U has nationally?

Matching SLU's reputation seems like something that could be achieved with decades + dedicated investment
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Rabble wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:03 pm ...
Is it true that UMKC at one time wanted to put their school of law in the old Federal Courthouse? I worked on the apartment conversion, ten plus years ago, and know the courtrooms were sealed shut at that time. It would be an easy building to convert for college uses.
Yes, the UMKC law school considered a downtown campus, but I believe it was nixed because the faculty didn't want it downtown.
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

I think it is interesting that UMKC planned to move two different departments downtown, along with playing basketball at Municipal Auditorium, before the streetcar. I'm surprised there is not renewed interest now that the streetcar is heading it's way.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Had coffee at Crow's last weekend and one of the other patrons swore that that strip mall was going to be torn down by the end of the year, presumably for redevelopment. Anyone heard anything similar?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

chaglang wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:06 am Had coffee at Crow's last weekend and one of the other patrons swore that that strip mall was going to be torn down by the end of the year, presumably for redevelopment. Anyone heard anything similar?
Ask @HistoricKC. It's a Nichols strip. Perhaps his first: https://www.kansascity.com/entertainmen ... 08034.html