Scooter crimes

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Scooter crimes

Post by taxi »

I walked through downtown and the Crossroads today and then back, from Columbus Park. Probably a total of 4 miles. During that time, I'd say I saw at least a dozen people riding scooters on the sidewalk. The Byrd scooters say, in big letters, Do not drive on the sidewalk right near the bottom in a place that is nearly impossible to miss. I also saw at least a dozen scooters parked right in the center of the right of way. In most cases, it would cause someone in a wheelchair to have to go into the street or turn around or cross the street or all of the above. I would think there should be some way to enforce these basic rules. I'm talking about… stay off the sidewalk and park them in an appropriate location.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I was walking in the Crossroads on Wednesday and had to walk around a scooter that was parked blocking the entire sidewalk as well. It would have been just as easy for them to park it up against the building where it wasn't blocking anything, but they opted not to do this.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

I also don’t own a gun, just suggesting that the rhetoric of the last couple years has some pearl clutchers just ready to go off…

Anyways, if Kansas City had more water downtown, we’d probably find more scooters in the water. They do it here quite a bit from what I see in the police blotter and the scooter company claims like $1200 loss for each one whenever that happens.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:46 pm Just saw a guy blow through a 4 way stop at 40th and Wyoming while looking at his phone on a scooter. Like dude do you care about you life? Cars blow that stop all the time.
Natural selection in action.
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

chaglang wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:20 pm
FlippantCitizen wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:46 pm Just saw a guy blow through a 4 way stop at 40th and Wyoming while looking at his phone on a scooter. Like dude do you care about you life? Cars blow that stop all the time.
Natural selection in action.
Same thought I had
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

Just a general thought: Why are we devoting this space to discussing scooters in the city? Yes, they're annoying at times; but you will occasionally encounter inconveniences when visiting/living in an urban environment.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Most things that happen in the city or anywhere else seem to be fair game for discussion.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

I guess so. But there are other sites for random complaining. Big nimby/nextdoor vibes.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Yes, this website is classicly known for its nimby attitudes. Accept my apologies for trying to have a discussion on a message board.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

This is not a NIMBY issue. It's about a company (or 2) coming in and using city and public resources to make money, while violating numerous ordinances. They should be held accountable. Accessibility is not a convenience.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I move them, some people are idiots/jerks no matter what form of transit they use.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

OMG do scooters occasionally get in the way of you walking -- how terrible and inconsiderate.

Creating a thread devoted to the driving tendencies of those on scooters. 100% NIMBY behavior
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Link2 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:58 pm I guess so. But there are other sites for random complaining. Big nimby/nextdoor vibes.
Forget it, Jake. It's the internet.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Link2 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:32 pm OMG do scooters occasionally get in the way of you walking -- how terrible and inconsiderate.

Creating a thread devoted to the driving tendencies of those on scooters. 100% NIMBY behavior
Nice to know you didn't read the thread.

Blocked.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:19 pm I move them, some people are idiots/jerks no matter what form of transit they use.
I think you could dedicate the money they pay to having someone actually enforce the law.

In theory, downtown has police. I don't get why scooters are not fined and police don't enforce the rules.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

same reason they don't enforce auto traffic laws. they say they don't have the capacity for it.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

Cincy just mandated that all scooter companies can only operate between 6AM-6PM. It's already been much more tolerable walking around at 6:15 :)