Capping the Loop

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Capping the Loop

Post by DColeKC »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:22 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:19 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:52 pm

100% not true or able to be done lol.
You don’t think live music venues will sell marijuana options just like they do alcohol as soon as it’s federally legal? Lol

It’s already in the works.
The legalization of pot means you can buy it, but you're not allowed to smoke it out in public. It's only legal to use in your home.
You’re missing something I said….. if federally legalized.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:00 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:22 pm

You don’t think live music venues will sell marijuana options just like they do alcohol as soon as it’s federally legal? Lol

The legalization of pot means you can buy it, but you're not allowed to smoke it out in public. It's only legal to use in your home.
You’re missing something I said….. if federally legalized.
I don’t see why the federal government would allow public smoking of pot. None of the states even allow that.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Ok. So when it is eventually legalized federally and at the state level, most states will allow it to be sold and consumed just as if it were alcohol. So at outdoor music venues, it is a sure thing that people will be able to buy marijuana products. Now they’ll have to follow the same no smoking rules the venue decides to enforce.

Also, in entertainment districts like PNL and Westport, you would absolutely legally be able to smoke weed as you walk from bar to bar with their special permissions.

If this park has a concert or ticketed type event, well, hopefully you get what I’m saying.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

It would be the same as smoking a cigarette when federally legally. I will say, as a proud stoner, that public usage should be tactful and respectful, and I wouldn't condone public usage if there were children present.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

They’ll never allow it to be smoked openly in public in a million years.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:50 pm They’ll never allow it to be smoked openly in public in a million years.
It’s already LEGAL to smoke weed in public in NYC unless it’s in a area that doesn’t allow cigarette smoking.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:59 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:50 pm They’ll never allow it to be smoked openly in public in a million years.
It’s already LEGAL to smoke weed in public in NYC unless it’s in a area that doesn’t allow cigarette smoking.
Banned in parks, beaches & places that don’t allow it…so basically everywhere. And that’s before the rich people get annoyed with the smell and get it banned like they did with vapes in Palo Alto lol.

So there goes the south loop park idea lol
Last edited by AlkaliAxel on Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Times have changed. One can smoke weed legally in public, and not smoke cigarettes in most places now. I flew to Paris once on a red-eye Air France 747 widebody and it seemed every passenger on the airplane was chain-smoking the entire flight--and drinking. It was like being in a disco at 10,000 feet. I don't recall there was a non-smoking section of the airplane, and it wouldn't have mattered much anyway because the entire cabin had the aura of a 1920s jazz club.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

FangKC wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:09 pm Times have changed. One can smoke weed legally in public, and not smoke cigarettes in most places now. I flew to Paris once on a red-eye Air France 747 widebody and it seemed every passenger on the airplane was chain-smoking the entire flight--and drinking. It was like being in a disco at 10,000 feet. I don't recall there was a non-smoking section of the airplane, and it wouldn't have mattered much anyway because the entire cabin had the aura of a 1920s jazz club.
Regardless of where you can & can’t smoke it in public, if it’s widespread smoking at the park, very few people will go. There’s still be a huge swath that supports legalization but don’t wanna smell it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:02 pm

It would be legal in public during events.

Give me your estimate on year this happens. I'll take the over.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:58 pm

Give me your estimate on year this happens. I'll take the over.
Powerful people in the alcohol business have been investing in marijuana type products for years at this point. There’s currently a amphitheater being designed and developed with the specific intent to allow marijuana smoking at its events.

It may never get to the point of venues selling snoop sized blunts but THZ infused products will be available at these types of events before you know it.

We have just enough old heads around and still plenty of pushback from certain industries to keep it moving slowly though.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

You were the one making the claim that it will be "soon"
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

What does this all have to do with Capping the Loop?
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:38 am What does this all have to do with Capping the Loop?
If wether naming it blunt park or not will cause more open weed use in said park.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:32 am You were the one making the claim that it will be "soon"
So now you want to come to an understanding of what “soon” means to you versus me? This has derailed into stupidity so let’s get back to the topic at hand.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I simply asked for the year to help understand what you were thinking soon was.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:19 am I simply asked for the year to help understand what you were thinking soon was.
That's like asking me to predict when the feds will make it 100% legal. We all know it's trending that way and the majority of the country supports it, but everyone's interpretation of what "soon" means is different. I'd say you'll see some examples of this within 3 years which I consider very soon and for it to be widespread within 6-10 years. Regarding this type of hyper-political topic, I'd consider within 10 years soon.

You may see the timeframe differently. Regardless, even if named Blunt park, I'm not seriously worried about the pot smoking having any kind of negative impact.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Can we get back to arguing whether Cordish should allow dog parks for all or none
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:50 am
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:19 am I simply asked for the year to help understand what you were thinking soon was.
That's like asking me to predict when the feds will make it 100% legal. We all know it's trending that way and the majority of the country supports it, but everyone's interpretation of what "soon" means is different. I'd say you'll see some examples of this within 3 years which I consider very soon and for it to be widespread within 6-10 years. Regarding this type of hyper-political topic, I'd consider within 10 years soon.

You may see the timeframe differently. Regardless, even if named Blunt park, I'm not seriously worried about the pot smoking having any kind of negative impact.
Thanks. Yeah I agree lot of variables that's why I was surprised to see someone thinks selling marijuana options (assuming edibles) in a music facility. I'll definitely take the over 10 years.

And yes I agree, any hand wringing about the name and park activities are pretty silly.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

^ Technically it's already being done. The legal hold up at this point is in most states, you can't sell marijuana AND alcohol at the same venue or event. So I expect dispensaries flush with cash, looking to invest it somewhere will start building venues that don't allow alcohol, but will sell marijuana. This is underway locally as we speak.

Now will the city be cool with a marijuana specific event being held in this park in the next 10 years???