Troost developments

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Troost developments

Post by TheLastGentleman »

daGOAT wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:58 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:16 pm
daGOAT wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:45 pm I'm just glad the existing buildings are getting renovated, even if it's somehow taking as long as Grand Place to finish. Does anyone have any recent photos of the old Laugh-O-Gram Studios? That building deserves to be saved and could be an incubator for the future creative minds, really it should be a priority.
I've never understood why Laugh O Gram wasn't created into a museum or something.

I mean Mickey fucking Mouse was born in that shack.

And we just let it sit there and rot? How stupid are we?
Walt Disney tried to make it work in KC but was ripped off in the production of a dozen animated films causing bankruptcy, thus prompting his move to a burgeoning Hollywood. 100 years later and the city (and state) still fail to support filmmaking on a competitive level despite having an amazing arts scene and a great history in cinema. It's maddening lol.

P.S. Disney was actually a WWI vet and had alot of political cartoons (possibly why the Star denied him a job as a comic cartoonist) and there's actually some very interesting short cartoons he did with Ub Iwerks about corruption in KCPD, and the infamous political machine that shaped the city's most iconic time period.

Sorry ik this was kinda off topic.
Do you know where to find those cartoons?
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:32 pm
daGOAT wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:58 pm

I've never understood why Laugh O Gram wasn't created into a museum or something.

Walt Disney tried to make it work in KC but was ripped off in the production of a dozen animated films causing bankruptcy, thus prompting his move to a burgeoning Hollywood. 100 years later and the city (and state) still fail to support filmmaking on a competitive level despite having an amazing arts scene and a great history in cinema. It's maddening lol.

P.S. Disney was actually a WWI vet and had alot of political cartoons (possibly why the Star denied him a job as a comic cartoonist) and there's actually some very interesting short cartoons he did with Ub Iwerks about corruption in KCPD, and the infamous political machine that shaped the city's most iconic time period.

Sorry ik this was kinda off topic.
Do you know where to find those cartoons?
I actually had the pleasure of viewing with some film student friends projected on an 8mm print here in Los Angeles but there are a few online! Go to the Laugh-O-Gram Studios wikipedia page, the Newman Laugh-O-Grams video has one on Spring Cleaning in KC and a shoutout to old Petticoat Lane. Looking now there is even his original Alice In Wonderland, produced right before the bankruptcy. It's all pretty amazing actually.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

daGOAT wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:50 pm I'm aware but this is Troost Developments not Troost Village, so it remains relevant, especially given the auto centricity that threatens a gem and the creative minds that don't have a shot because no one is making a change. A change that quite literally could be spearheaded by... a thorough renovation of Laugh-O-Gram Studios.
Yep, totally get all that. I chimed in because I didn't want anyone mistakenly linking the two projects. L-O-G has enough problems without being linked to TV. :)

Also: viewtopic.php?t=2045
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Restoration of Laugh O Gram after sitting idle after the collision has recently come back to life with most of the brick back up. The trouble all these years has been only local interest, none from the Disney conglomerate or the Disney family.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

SW corner of Armour + Troost breaking ground soon
NW corner of 28th and Forest just requested rezoning
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

UC-B Properties, a significant developer on Troost Avenue, is pursuing a 90- to 100-unit apartment project at the southeast corner of Linwood and Troost.

Developer John Hoffman said would like to break ground on the proposed Troostwood development by summer.
Hoffman said the project will include a mix of studio, one-bedroom and two-bedroom units. Monthly rents are expected to range from $900 for a studio to $1,400 for a two-bedroom.
https://cityscenekc.com/workforce-apart ... d-linwood/
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

daGOAT wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:40 am SW corner of Armour + Troost breaking ground soon
Confirmed! Request to relocate bus stops received!
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:34 am
UC-B Properties, a significant developer on Troost Avenue, is pursuing a 90- to 100-unit apartment project at the southeast corner of Linwood and Troost.

Developer John Hoffman said would like to break ground on the proposed Troostwood development by summer.
Hoffman said the project will include a mix of studio, one-bedroom and two-bedroom units. Monthly rents are expected to range from $900 for a studio to $1,400 for a two-bedroom.
https://cityscenekc.com/workforce-apart ... d-linwood/
Boomerang project. Hope it works this time.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Breaking ground by summer (even end of summer) seems a little optimistic. PIEA still owns half the land and I haven't seen signs that the process of acquiring the land has begun. Add to this the face that there are no renderings or firm details.

Still, I hope they can break ground soon. Maybe it will light a fire under everyone else sitting on properties/plans around there.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Misread that as the SW corner. It would be great if UCB could get that project off the ground. You'll remember that at one point they had an option on the SE corner, pending the successful completion of the SW corner. They were pretty far along on the design of the SW corner before deciding that they couldn't make it work and punting to Milhaus. Not sure what's changed since then that makes the SE corner viable for them now. Given all that I almost wish PIEA would hold the SE corner for now. It just seems like developers are squatting on that intersection. Everyone's project is contingent on the completion of an adjacent one.
Pastense
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Pastense »

The PIEA just rejected $988 studios at 3rd & Grand as not being affordable. Does calling it "workforce housing" and charging $900 make a difference?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Pastense wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:46 am The PIEA just rejected $988 studios at 3rd & Grand as not being affordable. Does calling it "workforce housing" and charging $900 make a difference?
Troost vs River Market might?
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

a big part of that is just replacing the wrong members with the right members, specifically O'Neil who somehow believes the streetcar is an incentive. I've spoken with him a few times and he is extremely against incentive use downtown.
Pastense
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Pastense »

The mayor needs to have a meeting with all of his board appointees to remind them of what he expects of them. LCRA just stumbled on another Main Street project. As someone previously noted, why build the streetcar to serve empty, blighted buildings? Barnes & Cleaver wouldn't have let this happen.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Pastense wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:12 pm The mayor needs to have a meeting with all of his board appointees to remind them of what he expects of them. LCRA just stumbled on another Main Street project. As someone previously noted, why build the streetcar to serve empty, blighted buildings? Barnes & Cleaver wouldn't have let this happen.
Is LCRA considering voting down the blight designation and incentive request for Exact Partners project around the old Main Street Armoury?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

They delayed a month on the Armory vote.

https://www.facebook.com/cityscenekc
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

PIEA Troost project updates

Resolution approving a Third Amendment to the Real Estate Purchase and Sale Agreement between the PIEA and East Linwood and Troost, LLC for 3200 Troost Avenue, 3212 Troost Avenue and 1021 E Linwood Blvd. in the Troost Cooridor PIEA Area.
Res. #2200......................................................................John McGurk, Milhaus
5. Resolution approving a Second Amendment to the Memorandum of Agreement between the PIEA and UC-B Properties, LLC for redevelopment of 2101 Troost Avenue and 3211 Troost Avenue, in the Troost Cooridor PIEA Area.
Res. #2201.............................................
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

So Milhaus developing SW corner and UC+B developing SE corner. I'm guessing that is a typo for 2101 troost which doesn't exist. Likely should be 3201 troost, the vacant lot next to 3211.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I noticed signage up today on the old laundromat building at 3740 Troost that said renovation underway for Screenland. Parcel Viewer confirms this building is owned by Butch Rigby.

This is exciting and could be a huge get for Troost. I'm a little surprised that we haven't really heard much publicly in the way of the plans for more development in the vicinity of Armour and Troost. I would think that Mac's project would have spurred on some more developers now that it is well under way. Hopefully this is the first of many.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Shame the city allowed the owner of the old car wash on the opposite corner to turn it into a storage unit.