OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

freedog wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:52 am I think that's so neat they saved some of the mosic floors and are incorporating them into the new terminal.

Would've been a shame to lose all 39 from the old terminal A

Sad they won’t keep the KC Scout statue medallion from terminal B.
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

Hoping they save all medallions as the old terminals are demo’d and use them in other city facilities.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Or save them for any future expansions the terminal might get
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

I think the plan is to try to save all the medallions they can from all terminals. There just isn’t any plan yet for the medallions from B and C

https://www.kcur.org/arts-life/2019-03 ... oject-ever
Airport planners have already removed the hanging installations and intend to save and reuse as many of the 39 medallions in Terminal A's terrazzo floor as they're able. They'll do the same for terminals B and C, but Bosch says he doesn't have a timeline for those.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It's fun and all but the less I remember of the current terminals the better.

I'm ready for a fun 11 months of seeing the finishing touches coming together.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

First of the new Jetway/JetBridge deliveries. Each bridge it seems requires two trucks, so this will likely be a lengthy delivery process. Link to video is below

https://youtu.be/paIwXmql9N0
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Neat!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Boarding Bridges

Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

Nice. I'm glad we sprung for those instead of the windowless ones made of corrugated steel, fluorescent lighting, and despair.
ztonyg
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by ztonyg »

Sani wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:07 pm Nice. I'm glad we sprung for those instead of the windowless ones made of corrugated steel, fluorescent lighting, and despair.
I was under the impression that there was some rule or regulation that in the US the jetbridges had to be made of corrugated steel, fluorescent lighting, and despair. The new jetbridges at Phoenix Sky Harbor all are of the windowless design.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

ztonyg wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:37 pm
Sani wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:07 pm Nice. I'm glad we sprung for those instead of the windowless ones made of corrugated steel, fluorescent lighting, and despair.
I was under the impression that there was some rule or regulation that in the US the jetbridges had to be made of corrugated steel, fluorescent lighting, and despair. The new jetbridges at Phoenix Sky Harbor all are of the windowless design.
The FAA originally did have some type of rule or regulation stating they had to be made of a solid material, I’m unsure if the airport had to get a clearance from them, or if that rule has simply faded away. I know the extension to the Killeen regional airport down in Ft. Hood, TX used glass jetways as well. Haven’t seen them elsewhere in the U.S. yet
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They tweeted out a couple years ago these didn't cost anymore
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:58 pm
The FAA originally did have some type of rule or regulation stating they had to be made of a solid material, I’m unsure if the airport had to get a clearance from them, or if that rule has simply faded away. I know the extension to the Killeen regional airport down in Ft. Hood, TX used glass jetways as well. Haven’t seen them elsewhere in the U.S. yet
I think its a construction and buildings code rule that was changed, not FAA
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:58 pm
I looked into this once. There was a regulation that functionally prohibited them (quoting from a 15-year-old thread on airliners.net):
The reason is due to NFPA 415, Airport Terminal Buildings, Fueling Ramp Drainage, and Loading Walkways which prohibits glass except for a window in the ramp access door and a window in the cab to move the jetty. This is because jetties are used as an evacuation route. From the NFPA themselves:

“The Committee’s intent of paragraph 6.2.4 has always been to restrict the use of glass and transparent or translucent materials in the passenger loading walkways to the minimum required for safe operation of the walkway. One of the main concerns is the psychological impact of people being able to see the flames and smoke, potentially negatively impacting the evacuation of the aircraft.”
In 2014, NFPA had Hughes Associates put together an Aircraft Loading Walkways Literature and Information Review, which basically said, "lots of airports around the world have been using glass jetbridges for decades without issue, and people getting off of smaller planes often get dumped straight on the ramp anyway, so the concern that people will panic because they can see a fire through a glass jetbridge is kinda silly."

I couldn't determine at what point NFPA decided to modify 415 in such a way as to allow glass jetbridges, and I'm not spending $58.50 to download it, but I'm guessing they made clear in the 2016 edition that it is possible for glass jetbridges to meet NFPA 415 requirements.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Pic gives good idea of width. From this I could see kiosks or s small bar in the middle and still space on both sides to pass for the amount of foot traffic we would typically see

https://twitter.com/KCIAirport/status/1 ... iRsWA&s=19
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Great to meet @SouthwestAir President Mike Van de Ven earlier today in Kansas City. His first two words when he saw his airline’s gate space in the new terminal? “Wow. Wow!”
#BuildKCI

https://twitter.com/JustinMeyerKC/statu ... QyfkGTovpQ
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

That terminal still doesn't look very wide.
KC is the way to be!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Needs furniture. It's like an empty room in a house

I'm pretty pleased after seeing the people side by side.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:42 pm Needs furniture. It's like an empty room in a house

I'm pretty pleased after seeing the people side by side.
That's a perfect analogy actually lol. Everyone thinks the bedroom is too small until you move the furniture in there
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Don't rooms typically look larger without furniture?

I would think adding the chairs/counters/signs/etc would make the terminal look even more narrow.

Right now, it reminds me of Salt Lake City's airport, which I remember being adequate yet narrow.

But I don't work construction, so maybe all the pieces are needed to really make it come together.
KC is the way to be!