Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by earthling »

Could incorporate a tower into the residential building that functions as office or part of master bedroom. Would extend the top of tower a few floors higher than the residential building to stand out as part of the 'Plaza skyline', potentially used for public purposes (as part of a rooftop public bar/space of some form). Also likely easier to get NIMBY buy-in with things like public uses for rooftop/tower.

OTOH, maybe Norstrom will move forward with the site afterall.

Valencia, SP...
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

ericwyner wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:45 pm
empires228 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:55 pm
mgsports wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:32 pm JCPENNY's? Burlington Coat Factory? Stage is coming back but doesn't mean KS/MO so is Boston Store bigger and better. In like Iowa/Wisconsin,OK,Arkansas has stores not in area.

Ward Parkway Shops already has TJMAXX,Ross,Old Navy.
Burlington at the Plaza is laughable.
was Lenscrafters?
LensCrafters is low hanging fruit. They have the same right to be down there as Bath & Body Works does, more so since they carry higher end brands of frames. Where were y’all when Beauty Brands and XXI moved in? lol
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

Even some of the largest high-end malls in the country are going to have stores like LensCrafters and Bath & Body Works. The Plaza can focus on more local and upscale stores, but they need to have options for other shoppers too. I think what's so annoying about the Plaza is the poor lack of planning/concentration when it comes to these stores. Historically, high-end stores have been spread out all over the plaza whereas in most well-managed malls/shopping centers they are concentrated (i.e., a "luxury wing"). A good example is when Burberry was two blocks away from Tiffany, which made no sense.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The city of KCMO and the residents have got to start allowing this type of development to happen. If they continue to stop allowing the plaza to evolve and densify, the plaza will continue to die.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... 2022-04-08
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

GRID wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:28 am The city of KCMO and the residents have got to start allowing this type of development to happen. If they continue to stop allowing the plaza to evolve and densify, the plaza will continue to die.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... 2022-04-08
Adds 6 condos on top of the previous 3 story restaurant proposal. Each unit would occupy a full floor.

alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Wow I thought this was just a 3 restaurant stacker originally. Now another 9 condos?

Seriously, the Plaza Bowl concept is just NIMBYism/viewhogging at its finest to stop development. Your view is going to be of a bunch of empty storefronts...
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I’m fine with these developments if they keep the design of the Plaza atleast somewhat. The reason you can put a Shake Shack & Potbelly’s on the Plaza and nobody cares is because the design. That’s what’s cool about the Plaza. We only need a few luxury brands, just fill out the rest with anything and keep the designs.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

alejandro46 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:48 am Seriously, the Plaza Bowl concept is just NIMBYism/viewhogging at its finest to stop development. Your view is going to be of a bunch of empty storefronts...
I think many pro bowlers want to keep the Moorish towers as the Plaza skyline view. Can still place residential with towers on corner a few floors higher than residential portion and keep that effect. And the residential portion does need to align with Spanish/Moorish aesthetic as well.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Would be nice if this 9-story plan happened, but looking at the floor plans, I can tell that it's just a concept. The developer says that each floor will be its own condo, but they'll be from 4400sf to 5800sf in size. That's ridiculous.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Maybe they are targeting Hallbrook and other McMansion downsizers but yeah, seems to just be conceptual to show off the tiered concept.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

How does this test the bowl if it’s smaller than the Lockton Building and further west?
jasty5
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jasty5 »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:35 pm Would be nice if this 9-story plan happened, but looking at the floor plans, I can tell that it's just a concept. The developer says that each floor will be its own condo, but they'll be from 4400sf to 5800sf in size. That's ridiculous.
I know of at least three condo owners on the plaza or downtown that are combining neighboring condos to double their size. I think there is a (small) demand for units of this size, and the whole floor concept would be appealing as well.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

jasty5 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:46 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:35 pm Would be nice if this 9-story plan happened, but looking at the floor plans, I can tell that it's just a concept. The developer says that each floor will be its own condo, but they'll be from 4400sf to 5800sf in size. That's ridiculous.
I know of at least three condo owners on the plaza or downtown that are combining neighboring condos to double their size. I think there is a (small) demand for units of this size, and the whole floor concept would be appealing as well.
Yeah KC is definitely a different kind of market but the idea that there would be some kind of demand for a 4800sf condo doesn't seem completely off the deep end to me.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

jasty5 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:46 pm
I get that. Some people want to have more living space and having a floor to yourself helps with privacy. I guess with me being single and younger, it doesn't appeal to me as much. I toured a few condos on the Plaza and really did like one in a modern building on an upper floor. Great views, easy access to the Plaza, and built well. Just I wish the unit wasn't as big as it was. Condos aren't really first-time starter homes either, so I'm pushed down and out to a house or apartment.

But if some people like the large condos, great.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

All the space of a mansion with none of the extra acreage lol
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Kansas City developers feud as proposed Country Club Plaza development triples in size
https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 09530.html

Really interesting. Writing the bowl into law after Lockton and 46Penn still makes no sense to me, and might be the developer's best argument at CPC. This building would be shorter than either of those, and not much taller than the old Jack Henry building.

Good to hear Lucas calling for more density.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah with the other two taller what's the controversy?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Its a particularly interesting site because it is surrounded by taller buildings. The stepped nature of the proposal actually helps blend the area better than a smaller building that would just be dominated by its surroundings.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I wonder if the developer has thought to ask to be added to the Plaza CID (TDD?) that pays for the parking garages. That would seriously diminish one argument against them
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

I suggest anyone wanting to see this happen write Kathryn Shields and Eric Bunch. Proper lobbying has accomplished crazier things.