wtf is happening to w. 39th?!

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: wtf is happening to w. 39th?!

Post by taxi »

My insider source says there is no real plan for the space, it's kind of for sale, and thankfully it is not owned by Del Hedgepath. It's a shame it's empty after having mostly excellent tenants.
I may have an opportunity to buy it, though I'm not sure I am up for such a big project. I would want to restore the theater. Probably not a very smart idea. What do the KCraggers think is the highest and best use for this spot?
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Parcel Viewer shows Price Brothers ownership.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

kboish wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:02 am My guess is they will quietly start demo and finish that before presenting a redevelopment plan to avoid any “save my strip mall” push back. Just a guess though
That was my basic theory. The businesses seemed successful, the liquor store, laundry and the market, but maybe they were unprofitable for some reason. I've been expecting to hear something reliable about this for months but have not.
daGOAT wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:19 am I question the legitimacy of my source but I've been told a plan is already in the works for housing. I dug deeper to see if they were maybe confusing the Jamestown project but they assured me it was a separate project.*fingers crossed*
I would love to see more residential over retail line 39th. Living in the neighborhood I'm probably in the minority on that. They key point is that there is ground floor retail.
kcjak wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:40 am Several people on my Volker neighborhood Facebook page claim that Del Hedgepath (sp?) bought the Bob Wasabi site and put fencing up without even allowing the businesses to clear out (there was a small market that JUST opened in the old laundromat space!). Rumor is that the site will be cleared for a mixed use development and of course neighbors are all worked up that it will be similar to the building on 39th/State Line - the one with Panera on the ground floor. If they're planning on tearing down the laundromat/hookah bar building, I think the neighborhood will fight vehemently against it.
Yeah, I'm aware of the FB group but mostly don't use FB. My wife and neighbor and repeated all of that pretty much verbatim and cited Facebook as their source so I'm aware of that rumor. I basically discounted all of that as BS except the part where residential might get built there. When you look in into the market it almost looks like there is a lot of stock and trade fixtures were left in place which might drive the theory, also the deserved contempt of Del. The one part I agree on is that any new building must absolutely respect the neighborhood better than the Panera building. That thing is an abomination and already looks worse for wear, not more than 10 years old right?
taxi wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:56 am My insider source says there is no real plan for the space, it's kind of for sale, and thankfully it is not owned by Del Hedgepath. It's a shame it's empty after having mostly excellent tenants.
I may have an opportunity to buy it, though I'm not sure I am up for such a big project. I would want to restore the theater. Probably not a very smart idea. What do the KCraggers think is the highest and best use for this spot?
I have heard that there used to be a theater on 39th street but didn't know that this was the spot it was at. I have no idea what your background is but if you crunch the numbers and think you could make a small theater work there I would lose my mind for it. When I was in high school I used to drive in from OP with my film geek friends several times a month to go to the Tivoli. Was pretty devastated to find out it was closed when I moved back to the metro. KC is badly lacking in the art house theater department. Other than that the highest and best use would probably be a high quality residential building with high quality retail on the ground floor to replace what is lost. Parking requirements would probably sink the ideal kind of building I would want though.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

taxi wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:56 am My insider source says there is no real plan for the space, it's kind of for sale, and thankfully it is not owned by Del Hedgepath. It's a shame it's empty after having mostly excellent tenants.
Interesting, when was the theater there?

I have no doubt a new one would be popular in that hood.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

It was a theater and half of the building is still standing. Residential is highly ideal; despite parking minimums and NIMBYism making it unnecessarily difficult. However, a streetcar announcement could change things in the new future. I would almost expect any development in the works to wait and see how Milhaus' project leases, unless their particularly bullish on the area.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

daGOAT wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:17 pm It was a theater and half of the building is still standing. Residential is highly ideal; despite parking minimums and NIMBYism making it unnecessarily difficult. However, a streetcar announcement could change things in the new future. I would almost expect any development in the works to wait and see how Milhaus' project leases, unless their particularly bullish on the area.
I wish they would have allowed the businesses to continue operating if their plan was to sit on it. Bob Wasabi was excellent and I only had the opportunity to try it once before it closed. The little market that was there was really convenient when I needed just a couple items and didn't want to go to Sunfresh. I've only lived here since fall of 2020. IIRC it may have still been a hookah lounge when I first moved then spent less than a year as the market before closing. It will be annoying if this sits vacant with no moves for another year or more.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Giles Theater was at 1714 W. 39th Street. The lobby was demolished. The auditorium remains.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/39727

Aerial showing the remaining auditorium.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1714+ ... 94.6055984

Front of the theater building.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0572681 ... 384!8i8192
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Love that a Laurel and Hardy flick was playing that day lol that movie came out in 1939 so this must be one of the first multiplex theaters in the world... kinda crazy to think how important our city has been to the enjoyment of cinema.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

They would show those films in succession. The first theater in the country to show two films on two different screens simultaneously (multiplex) was at Ward Parkway in 1963. https://kchistory.org/week-kansas-city- ... iplex-born
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Per the Happy Hollow Brewing Company (Cassville, MO) Facebook page, they will be opening 39th Street Brewing in the old Do Good Co building on the NE corner of 39th/Terrace
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

kcjak wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:50 pm Per the Happy Hollow Brewing Company (Cassville, MO) Facebook page, they will be opening 39th Street Brewing in the old Do Good Co building on the NE corner of 39th/Terrace
Hungry Hollow Brewing

Looking forward to checking that out
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

D'Bronx has a sign on the door saying they are temporarily closed as they 'how best to serve the needs of the neighborhood in the months and years to come.' May be related to the impending development of the parking lot behind and block to the south, but their business never seemed to recover after the pandemic. Pizza business seemed somewhat steady but eat-in and takeout sandwiches seemed really off over the past year or so.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

kcjak wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:15 pm D'Bronx has a sign on the door saying they are temporarily closed as they 'how best to serve the needs of the neighborhood in the months and years to come.' May be related to the impending development of the parking lot behind and block to the south, but their business never seemed to recover after the pandemic. Pizza business seemed somewhat steady but eat-in and takeout sandwiches seemed really off over the past year or so.
Please no :cry:
Sirius_Blue
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Sirius_Blue »

Well shit. D'Bronx was a staple for our family pre-covid.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

There was equipment onsite at Aladdin cafe today taking a core sample. Anyone know if there are plans for that site?
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

freedog wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:33 pm
kcjak wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:15 pm D'Bronx has a sign on the door saying they are temporarily closed as they 'how best to serve the needs of the neighborhood in the months and years to come.' May be related to the impending development of the parking lot behind and block to the south, but their business never seemed to recover after the pandemic. Pizza business seemed somewhat steady but eat-in and takeout sandwiches seemed really off over the past year or so.
Please no :cry:
damn, that was the OG , D'Bronx. I could see how dine in business would go down, but that place was not very big to begin with. It filled up fast. But on the flip side I would suspect some downturn in business like everyone else had with the Pandemic. But with them being within walking distance of KU Med and the Med school I would have assumed their walk in business would be ok, and take out still a staple with a major employer right next store.

From the sound of that note it might have been staffing issues to keep things going and more with the owner of the building. I think might be more to do with uncertainty of how to work with all the development going on. Plus it may be that the D'Bronx owners are just ready to retire and looking at what to do with the place.

I hope they continue because they were one of the original places in the area and were the catalyst for everything to come after IMO.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Is something going on with Vietnam Cafe on the corner of Rainbow/39th? Looks like it's deserted now and signage was gone when I passed last week. Could development of that lot finally be on the way?
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

kcjak wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:21 pm Is something going on with Vietnam Cafe on the corner of Rainbow/39th? Looks like it's deserted now and signage was gone when I passed last week. Could development of that lot finally be on the way?
They moved down the street into the Holiday Inn building. As for dev at that corner......there's something in the pipeline, but nothing ready to move forward or begin review.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Looks like KC Pizzeria next to Missie B's has closed.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

dang, that was another tasty place. Do they have another location that is takeout only?

That might be best for them.

Shame that nothing has been able to stay at that location since Nichols Lunch left.