OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Transportation topics in KC
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Post by shinatoo »

freedog wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:30 pm What would be really neat would be a pedestrian bridge to Kaw Point Park over the Missouri. Then connect the Rock Island Bridge with BOB through that, a trail along Leeve Rd and the Riverfront Heritage trail.

Probably wishful thinking but something like this

That would be fantastic.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Would be great as like a future long-term expansion goal to the downtown greenway look thing. People majorly undervalue the development potential of trail system. Atlanta, NY come to mind as examples of how Highline and Greenline trails (combind with good transit) have really increased property values as an added amenitity to new dense development.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

Knowing how KC does things, I suspect the funds will be provided to "save" the BON bridge. The catch is that it will take 10-15 years for funds to be found to actually renovate it into an activated space. It'll just sit there awkwardly until then.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

horizons82 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:40 pm Knowing how KC does things, I suspect the funds will be provided to "save" the BON bridge. The catch is that it will take 10-15 years for funds to be found to actually renovate it into an activated space. It'll just sit there awkwardly until then.
Good news is it seems the main expense by a long way is saving the bridge. “Activating” the bridge is a fraction of that cost
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

If MODOT is building a new bridge because the old one could not be repaired how will the city fix it? MODOT would have fixed it rather than spend money on the new crossing. Besides the structure what would be done to solve the scouring problem, then again what is the design feature in the new bridge piers that will avoid the problem.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

The old one could be and was going to be repaired however MoDOT was going to shut it down for an extended time to repair it. KCMO made the decision to realign the bridge and reduce downtime. Hence why KC had to pony up extra funds for a bridge that’s MoDOTs responsibility
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

freedog wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:30 pm What would be really neat would be a pedestrian bridge to Kaw Point Park over the Missouri. Then connect the Rock Island Bridge with BOB through that, a trail along Leeve Rd and the Riverfront Heritage trail.

Probably wishful thinking but something like this

This Kaw connection and levee trail would be more transformative than saving the BOB, and probably cheaper.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Isn't that what the kaw bridge by Kemper will do?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:07 pm Isn't that what the kaw bridge by Kemper will do?
From the south side. But adding this Kaw Connection and Levee Trail would help remove some of the "bridge to nowhere" concerns of both the Rock Island Bridge and the Buck Bridge Park. Just seems a little odd to me in both cases to walk onto a bridge from an area like the River Market or Kemper/West Bottoms to a very underdeveloped area.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

freedog wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:09 am
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:07 pm Isn't that what the kaw bridge by Kemper will do?
From the south side. But adding this Kaw Connection and Levee Trail would help remove some of the "bridge to nowhere" concerns of both the Rock Island Bridge and the Buck Bridge Park. Just seems a little odd to me in both cases to walk onto a bridge from an area like the River Market or Kemper/West Bottoms to a very underdeveloped area.
Yep. An entire system needs to be built.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I'm a traffic planning city planning Kansas City nerd and I couldn't sit through this whole video (maybe because I already know everything they talk about), but I do agree with them on the new Broadway Bridge:

https://youtu.be/yxhEQgh-W3g?t=7451
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

agree with what that it's boring? We all agree with that, it is boring.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:18 am I'm a traffic planning city planning Kansas City nerd and I couldn't sit through this whole video (maybe because I already know everything they talk about), but I do agree with them on the new Broadway Bridge:

https://youtu.be/yxhEQgh-W3g?t=7451
What did they say about the Broadway Bridge
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:44 am agree with what that it's boring? We all agree with that, it is boring.
I hate how boring it is. Just showing how an outsider sees it since people on this forum seem to think the old bridge is a rusty eyesore. Personally I find the bare bones girder freeway bridge much more of an eyesore.

The entire video is based on how over freewayed KC is and how much redundancy there is there so building more just makes no sense. I'm sill not buying that this design is necessary for the removal of the north loop either. I just think KC and MOdot have too many highway designers stuck in the 1950's and I guess doing everything on the ultra cheap keeps anything interesting from being built architecturally etc.

I know I'm beating a dead horse at this point, so that's why I try to look on the bright side and hope they can do something with the old bridge.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Really going to miss those billboards.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

In all seriousness that little strip of buildings was lost and isolated by our original Broadway bridge plan. They should have just taken them all and used the land for a public use. The owners of those remaining buildings are screwed.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:50 am In all seriousness that little strip of buildings was lost and isolated by our original Broadway bridge plan. They should have just taken them all and used the land for s public use. The owners of those remaining buildings are screwed.
Affordable housing! :lol:
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:48 am Really going to miss those billboards.
I'm sure Outfront will have new ones to take their place. They've been pretty focused on video billboards along highways. Many of the static ones on city streets are going away.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Was looking at image of original Hannibal bridge. It was made out of wood. If designer Octave Chanute were whisked 150 years into the future he would be amazed at the design of the new bridge and that it could cross the river with such a simple and elegant design. It fits the old maxims "form follows function" and "less is more." An extreme for the wish for a fancy superstructure bridge is in Dallas where in a fit of bridge envy or river envy they put up two starchitect extremely tall bridges across the Blue River sized Trinity River when a wooden plank would do.