Capping the Loop

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Capping the Loop

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I’m just banking on that this gets announced in early February like DColeKC hinted at
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Last edited by FangKC on Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

From the earmark era. It was very controversial, delayed, and severely over budget. Little chance that project would get funded today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Dig
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Just announce the south loop cap already after that bullshit game today...just give this city a victory. We need it. Stop the suffering!
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:26 am Rumors ramping up that there’s a big infrastructure announcement coming soon from the city. Hoping this includes news about the cap.
February yearly budget just got announced. What was it?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I hope people will not be disappointed when this finally does happen. It really is not that large an area that will result. It will have less total space than Ilus Davis park. Davis park is two full blocks and the 670 lid is 4 2/5 blocks. The whole of what was 4 blocks is now 2/5 P&L retail and Light towers: 1/5 Truman Drive north/ and 2/5 is I-470. Truman Dr South was 15th St. originally. With all the programming desired It might get cluttered. Would be nice to see at least one of four sections be nothing but paved stones, like European squares. Need to have an open space for large crowd gatherings and also where any kind of festival/marketplace could temporarily be set up.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

moderne wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:28 pm I hope people will not be disappointed when this finally does happen. It really is not that large an area that will result. It will have less total space than Ilus Davis park. Davis park is two full blocks and the 670 lid is 4 2/5 blocks. The whole of what was 4 blocks is now 2/5 P&L retail and Light towers: 1/5 Truman Drive north/ and 2/5 is I-470. Truman Dr South was 15th St. originally. With all the programming desired It might get cluttered. Would be nice to see at least one of four sections be nothing but paved stones, like European squares. Need to have an open space for large crowd gatherings and also where any kind of festival/marketplace could temporarily be set up.
All I care about is the seamless transition from Crossroads to the loop. I hope the park is great though.
Karambit25
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Karambit25 »

I hope people will not be disappointed when this finally does happen. It really is not that large an area that will result. It will have less total space than Ilus Davis park. Davis park is two full blocks and the 670 lid is 4 2/5 blocks. The whole of what was 4 blocks is now 2/5 P&L retail and Light towers
There simply is not enough room for this space to be special or relevant. Especially if Truman Road stays open. Even if you make Truman pedestrian only - which won't happen - the space will be little more than a homeless camp most of the time.
All I care about is the seamless transition from Crossroads to the loop. I hope the park is great though.
The only thing keeping the loop transition from happening now are the empty lots on Main, Walnut and Grand. If those were developed there would be no disconnect. The highway walls could be redesigned taller and turned into art and there would be no interruption. A large entry sign would be much more compelling.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Karambit25 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:18 pm
I hope people will not be disappointed when this finally does happen. It really is not that large an area that will result. It will have less total space than Ilus Davis park. Davis park is two full blocks and the 670 lid is 4 2/5 blocks. The whole of what was 4 blocks is now 2/5 P&L retail and Light towers
There simply is not enough room for this space to be special or relevant. Especially if Truman Road stays open. Even if you make Truman pedestrian only - which won't happen - the space will be little more than a homeless camp most of the time.
The only thing keeping the loop transition from happening now are the empty lots on Main, Walnut and Grand. If those were developed there would be no disconnect. The highway walls could be redesigned taller and turned into art and there would be no interruption. A large entry sign would be much more compelling.
I disagree with point #1, but especially #2. I don't think the size will matter. Just the fact there is a green space close to P&L will be enough to change things

Secondly, you build this cap and those surface lots will disappear alot faster.
Karambit25
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Karambit25 »

Something like this on Main look south at Truman would be a nice draw and really make the Crossroads entry pop.

https://www.aaroads.com/wp-content/uplo ... eet_02.jpg

https://markshimazuphotography.files.wo ... =774&h=516
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Karambit25 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:54 am Something like this on Main look south at Truman would be a nice draw and really make the Crossroads entry pop.

https://www.aaroads.com/wp-content/uplo ... eet_02.jpg

https://markshimazuphotography.files.wo ... =774&h=516
The second link you posted is a fantastic idea. Kinda like what we have for City Market.

I love it, great find.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

You've put entirely too many of your eggs in this basket
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:13 pm You've put entirely too many off your eggs in this basket
What?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:24 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:13 pm You've put entirely too many off your eggs in this basket
What?
I'm sure he means saying things like "this is the only thing that matters".
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:40 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:24 pm
What?
I'm sure he means saying things like "this is the only thing that matters".
Of the *realistic* options right now that the city/people will do, yeah this is the top priority project.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It's not. I want it too but it's not.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Cordish controls so much of the land that a lot of this discussion is being driven by them. Of course they want a publicly funded park that they get to program and set aside for their residents.

For the rest of us it's just a street we walk across that will add another area cordish will try to close for events.

If they have a plan, make it public. If not, I don't know what to say. I want it too but it's not my number one priority.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:26 pm It's not. I want it too but it's not.
That's fine if it's your opinion but I disagree, I think this should be the top priority in the city. I'd say north loop or something else but this is what's realistic right now. I do find it funny this sudden turn against the cap "not really that important" the last couple days.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

nobody is against the cap. It's never been top 10 priority in this city. It is for Cordish.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm not against the cap, but I've always thought the City's priority should be getting surface parking lots developed in the North Loop, and the East Village, and the Crossroads. For me, that comes before a deck. It's not opposition, it's just I think it would produce more revenue for the City in the long run.

The argument could be made that Cordish will likely build more towers as long as they can rent them. Two have gone up already without a deck, the Loews Hotel, and 1400 Baltimore as well.

If I were mayor, I'd be making a monthly call to the head of VanTrust to ask why they haven't announced a development plan for the parcels in the East Village north of 10th Street, or at least started the renovation of the Blackstone Hotel building.

They don't need to know if the baseball stadium is going in south of 10th to develop these parcels.