OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Transportation topics in KC
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:08 am Ok LOL….I never said “build the prairie fire museum” haha.

You know that little strip outside the AMC Prairie Fire with all those shops, restaurants and of course the theatre? It’s extremely walkable and attractive. And that’s what I think KC should build.
yeah, you walk from the parking garage to the strip mall. Come on man.

I will give some credit to Leawood. It's still not my cup of tea, but that little development where AMC moved from Downtown is decent for what it is.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:17 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:08 am Ok LOL….I never said “build the prairie fire museum” haha.

You know that little strip outside the AMC Prairie Fire with all those shops, restaurants and of course the theatre? It’s extremely walkable and attractive. And that’s what I think KC should build.
yeah, you walk from the parking garage to the strip mall. Come on man.

I will give some credit to Leawood. It's still not my cup of tea, but that little development where AMC moved from Downtown is decent for what it is.
Alright you can take out the parking garage from it, but what they have in prairie fire is what we need more of downtown. Retail and easy walkability like that
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

how long was the AMC lease?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:24 pm

how long was the AMC lease?
Until 2031? I have no idea how reputable this is https://property.compstak.com/11500-Ash ... d/p/139007
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Wouldn't it be great if Chinese owned AMC returned downtown in a building in P&L in a return to Stan Durwood's vision?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

moderne wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:32 pm Wouldn't it be great if Chinese owned AMC returned downtown in a building in P&L in a return to Stan Durwood's vision?
You're awful quick to forgive!
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

moderne wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:32 pm Wouldn't it be great if Chinese owned AMC returned downtown in a building in P&L in a return to Stan Durwood's vision?
Wanda group is no longer the majority owner of AMC. Individual investors make up 90% of the company at this point. With the recent meme stock craze, the current CEO has become significantly more open to input from the community. I’m sure he’d entertain the idea of an HQ movement, should someone around town pose the question.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Loving these ideas. Also helps remind everybody how and why we are here with this new bridge especially the next two tier goals .critical for maximum success. Might help grid understand the project a bit more.

https://www.beyondtheloopkc.com/enhancements
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I'll be honest, I'm more sold on saving the bridge now after seeing their proposals. I'm still wondering where the financing would come from.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Does anyone have any information on the Harlem Riverfront Trail in the rendering?

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:23 pm I'll be honest, I'm more sold on saving the bridge now after seeing their proposals. I'm still wondering where the financing would come from.
What has changed your mind? I think those of us that have supported saving the bridge have envisioned basically what is in the rendering this whole time. Only I would like to see a larger more comprehensive plan to tie the bridge to more trails and parks in the city, but that can come later.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:11 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:23 pm I'll be honest, I'm more sold on saving the bridge now after seeing their proposals. I'm still wondering where the financing would come from.
What has changed your mind? I think those of us that have supported saving the bridge have envisioned basically what is in the rendering this whole time. Only I would like to see a larger more comprehensive plan to tie the bridge to more trails and parks in the city, but that can come later.
Realizing it could be an important bike trail to link bikers across the river was a big one. That hasn't really been talked about much until I noticed it.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:16 pm Loving these ideas. Also helps remind everybody how and why we are here with this new bridge especially the next two tier goals .critical for maximum success. Might help grid understand the project a bit more.

Did this study or whatever this is not come after the main plans for the bridge were done and construction was already started? If this were the plan from the start, I probably would not have been so aggressively against it. However, it's people like me that probably got people really thinking about what could be done with the old bridge.

Some things still don't make sense though. Route 9 barely carries any any traffic, so I don't see how the new bridge is going to really change anything there. If the city wanted to make Route 9 an at grade, it could regardless of what happened with Broadway. Also, the fact that Modot and Kdot just rebuilt the Lewis and Clark Viaduct back to its original state makes no sense.

I still don't love the idea of another high speed freeway and ramps. You are going to take so much traffic off the I-29/I-35 bridge (especially trucks) with this new configuration and clog up the west side of the loop. I just think the city should have done the exact opposite and discouraged through traffic from using the Broadway Bridge. 169 should just turn into Broadway with no direct access to the interstate system. Route 9 can be at grade and the north loop can be downgraded or removed. The west loop would simply be access to the Fairfax district of KCK or removed as well since it's also redundant to 670 which is way under capacity.

None of this matters. The new bridge is happening now and I think people are finally thinking beyond KC's typical 1950's highway design culture. Repurpose the old bridge. That's all I'm hoping for now. Removing the north loop could have happened regardless of making 169 an interstate alternative. Hopefully it still happens.

More and more cities are getting the funding to do it:
https://www.curbed.com/2022/01/hochul-s ... -i-81.html

Hopefully KC's happens soon.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

At the end of that PDF:
TOTAL ENHANCEMENT REQUEST WITH OLD BRIDGE CONVERTED TO LINEAR PARK: $52,500,000 - $53,00,000
TOTAL ENHANCEMENT REQUEST WITHOUT OLD BRIDGE CONVERTED TO LINEAR PARK: $2,250,000 - $3,000,000

Does the cost to do it without doing the linear park include the cost to remove the bridge?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

GRID wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:07 pm At the end of that PDF:
TOTAL ENHANCEMENT REQUEST WITH OLD BRIDGE CONVERTED TO LINEAR PARK: $52,500,000 - $53,00,000
TOTAL ENHANCEMENT REQUEST WITHOUT OLD BRIDGE CONVERTED TO LINEAR PARK: $2,250,000 - $3,000,000

Does the cost to do it without doing the linear park include the cost to remove the bridge?
Would MODOT fund removing the bridge?
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

GRID wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:55 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:16 pm Loving these ideas. Also helps remind everybody how and why we are here with this new bridge especially the next two tier goals .critical for maximum success. Might help grid understand the project a bit more.

Also, the fact that Modot and Kdot just rebuilt the Lewis and Clark Viaduct back to its original state makes no sense.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We need to remove the N Loop and bring 9 to grade. A linerar park is a great idea, but without funding plus the extensive operating costs, that's all it is at this point, an idea and I don't think taxpayer dollars should be going towards. We need to improve connectivity and Harlem may be ready for some redevelopment but that can be done with the new bridge interchange. We definitely should do the rest of the reccomendations of the survey though, it all sounds like great ideas and minimal cost comparatively.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

alejandro46 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:01 pm We need to remove the N Loop and bring 9 to grade. A linerar park is a great idea, but without funding plus the extensive operating costs, that's all it is at this point, an idea and I don't think taxpayer dollars should be going towards. We need to improve connectivity and Harlem may be ready for some redevelopment but that can be done with the new bridge interchange. We definitely should do the rest of the reccomendations of the survey though, it all sounds like great ideas and minimal cost comparatively.
Don't really need money right away...just need it not torn down so that the asset is available in the future when more money is available. Make it "shovel ready" for the next pile of cash the federal government wants to spend.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:55 pm

Did this study or whatever this is not come after the main plans for the bridge were done and construction was already started? If this were the plan from the start, I probably would not have been so aggressively against it. However, it's people like me that probably got people really thinking about what could be done with the old bridge.

Some things still don't make sense though. Route 9 barely carries any any traffic, so I don't see how the new bridge is going to really change anything there. If the city wanted to make Route 9 an at grade, it could regardless of what happened with Broadway. Also, the fact that Modot and Kdot just rebuilt the Lewis and Clark Viaduct back to its original state makes no sense.
To answer your first question, yes this was all part of the initial beyond the loop study. What the beginning of this document is doing is resetting what has been done and then goes into the asks for more enhancements for the bridge itself.

All I know on 9 is this relieving pressure off of 9 makes bringing it down to grade more doable. As for all the technicals behind it I'm sure this is a document you'd understand better than I with your history: http://www.beyondtheloopkc.com/s/2018-0 ... educed.pdf
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

^ I understand the route 9 plan was part of the initial plan, but nothing else mentioned in that report was. I'm pretty sure the plan was to tear down the old bridge and build a new one making sure that nobody going to and from I-35 had to tap their brakes. Throw a sidewalk on the new bridge and call it a day.

This plan has at least some thought put into how to make downtown better too.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

There was a piece on the local news about detours for construction. They also interviewed someone on site who said that the low river levels have complicated construction. It was not explained exactly how the river level impacts construction. I could see how high level would cause problem but not low level. Anyone have any insight? It does seem that the normally ice choked river at this time of year being ice free would be helpful.