Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Three Light

Post by DColeKC »

Part of being transparent about a project is having egg on your face when things don't go as planned with your timeline. Most of the delays on 2L were minimal but the delays on 3L were extensive, even if not all on the developer.

I do think 3 brand new residential towers going up within 8 years is insanely fast for KC, especially considering an average of 18-24 months of construction time each.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

freedog wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:15 pm
dukuboy1 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:24 pm Also with the decking creating more of a tunnel for 670 maybe some art of some kind to go along the walls of the enclosed portion?
Can't imagine you'll be able to see much down there + might be hard to maintain as well.

Very much a fan of public art though and hope work is done to recreate/replace the murals lost
well if the maintain the level of lighting they have now as "2 feet from the sun bright" I assume you could see them just fine 8)

But I do hope they can be reproduced in some fashion so we can continue to enjoy them
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:28 am I do think 3 brand new residential towers going up within 8 years is insanely fast for KC, especially considering an average of 18-24 months of construction time each.
For a city like Denver, would that be considered fast as well? Or normal?
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:48 pm
freedog wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:15 pm
dukuboy1 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:24 pm Also with the decking creating more of a tunnel for 670 maybe some art of some kind to go along the walls of the enclosed portion?
Can't imagine you'll be able to see much down there + might be hard to maintain as well.

Very much a fan of public art though and hope work is done to recreate/replace the murals lost
Not that it's comparable to fully replacing the murals, but it is cool they don't just paint over these and they're exposed on some interior walls. 2L did a great job replacing them and the exterior of 3L will have some great artistic qualities that tie back into the KC music history.
I hope they can be preserved in some way to the public, but glad to hear they will be a part of the building
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:02 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:28 am I do think 3 brand new residential towers going up within 8 years is insanely fast for KC, especially considering an average of 18-24 months of construction time each.
I won't try to speak on behalf of cordish, but it's fairly normal for developers to reach a certain level of occupancy before continuing development. Especially true with power and light where they're building in one area and effectively only competing with themselves.

Even more so now that they control the area across Truman now.

Cordish has no obligation to tell us their private corporate strategy, but we also don't have to believe them anymore when they say four light will start soon. History says this is unlikely.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:05 pm
I won't try to speak on behalf of cordish, but it's fairly normal for developers to reach a certain level of occupancy before continuing development. Especially true with power and light where they're building in one area and effectively only competing with themselves.

Cordish has no obligation to tell us their private corporate strategy, but we also don't have to believe them anymore when they say four light will start soon. History says this is unlikely.
Rumos were that Cordish is gonna start 4 Light before 3 Light is done
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:50 pm

That's been the rumor for every light building and it's never happened.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I'd be very surprised if they broke ground on 4 before 3 opens. I haven't seen or heard of any updated designs for 4L or even it's official location. Not to mention, the Midland project is a high priority that's nearing the end of the budget process. That needs to be done or well underway before 4L starts.

Also, as mentioned above it depends on how quickly 3L leases up. If it is slow to lease or doesn't hit full occupancy, 4L will be put on the back burner.

KC compared to Denver or Nashville is apples to oranges. Those cities have been blowing up at a record pace for awhile. I was saying by KC standards.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:29 pm

I'd be very surprised if they broke ground on 4 before 3 opens. I haven't seen or heard of any updated designs for 4L or even it's official location. Not to mention, the Midland project is a high priority that's nearing the end of the budget process. That needs to be done or well underway before 4L starts.

Also, as mentioned above it depends on how quickly 3L leases up. If it is slow to lease or doesn't hit full occupancy, 4L will be put on the back burner.

KC compared to Denver or Nashville is apples to oranges. Those cities have been blowing up at a record pace for awhile. I was saying by KC standards.
But if you're saying "extremely fast for KC standards" is extremely fast here the equivalent of normal pace for Denver? Because if so, then that would mean we'd be on a normal pace for downtown development compared to those cities.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

It is very fast for KC historically. The View, formerly Vista Del Rio, was to have a twin. The Manhattan and its twin formerly River Hills were to have one or two more buildings. These never were built out. Crown Center was to have several more San Francisco towers, again never realized. Residential tower at Sailors project became suburban low rise. The many versions of Stan Durwoods Crosstown had residential towers planned. I am sure there are more unbuilt KC residential towers?
KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

Could someone please get us an updated picture or two? Thanks in advance!!!
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

KCTOGA wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:27 pm Could someone please get us an updated picture or two? Thanks in advance!!!
These are from last Saturday

KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

Thank you so much, LastGentelman!!!!!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Every time I walk by this site I laugh about how they were able to accommodate pedestrians on Main Street. Just shows you how other projects lack any creativity when they say it can't be done.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:52 pm Every time I walk by this site I laugh about how they were able to accommodate pedestrians on Main Street. Just shows you how other projects lack any creativity when they say it can't be done.
Or the laziness of them to not want to accommodate pedestrians
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Incentives for the project are on the council docket. I honestly think they made a mistake and meant to have posted the FSL HQ instead? Almost all notes are for 3 Light except for mentioning FSL as backing the debt.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Yeah i thought that was weird too. What is FSL?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

kboish wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:16 pm Yeah i thought that was weird too. What is FSL?
I believe the tenant of that proposed building near 27th and Main. Maybe a bank or finance company.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

kboish wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:16 pm Yeah i thought that was weird too. What is FSL?
Fidelity Security Life (insurance). New HQ at 27th and Main as Chris notes...