New Chiefs Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: New Chiefs Stadium

Post by AlkaliAxel »

dukuboy1 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:17 pm But weather is a real thing and FEB in KC has the potential to be cold, snowy and icy.

But shitty weather in FEB is better than a 50/50 prospect no matter how matter stats you find
Again, it's an average of 47-48 on Feb 20-21 in KC.

You avg 3.2 inches on Feb. snow- and almost all of that little 3 inches is closer to January.

It's 95% chance it's just sunny and 48 on that day. Is this not viable enough to host with an outdoor stadium? You tell me. I think it's fine.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Snow is fine, it's a windy ass 20 deg day I would be worried about.

Where are you getting 95% of sunny and 48 on that day? It's actually a 50% chance it will be below 47 and 100% there will be no sun at kickoff.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

shinatoo wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:08 pm Snow is fine, it's a windy ass 20 deg day I would be worried about.

Where are you getting 95% of sunny and 48 on that day? It's actually a 50% chance it will be below 47 and 100% there will be no sun at kickoff.
The average high on Feb 20 or 21 is 47-48. A kickoff at 5:30 would be sunny out still- sunset isn't until 6:03. But, the sun or clouds are irrelevant, it's just the temps people are concerned about.

And I'll reiterate, it ain't snowing that late in Feb.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

is FEB 20-21 the dates? I thought it was the week before. No one is saying it will snow but there is a chance and its a 50/50. It snows in late FEB hell it snows in March commonly. But I love your passion and the looking at almanac stats, Could it happen, sure. Just not planning on it. If they asked me to support it I will
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

dukuboy1 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:32 pm is FEB 20-21 the dates? I thought it was the week before. No one is saying it will snow but there is a chance and its a 50/50. It snows in late FEB hell it snows in March commonly. But I love your passion and the looking at almanac stats, Could it happen, sure. Just not planning on it. If they asked me to support it I will
Feb 20-21 will be the future dates when they move to 18 game season soon.

And I'm sorry, but it's more like 4-5% chance it snows on a given day in late February. If your average temp on the day is 47, then it's definitely not a 50/50 chance of snow lol.

And it hasn't snowed here in March for years. I just truly don't get these stereotypes all because it snowed one time here in March in like 2014 people will say "oh yeah, it snows commonly in March". It's just a bad stereotype that's not backed by facts.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

What is March even being talked about here? Let's be done with this, it's going nowhere.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:58 pm What is March even being talked about here? Let's be done with this, it's going nowhere.
Honestly at this point I agree. Just give me a Super Bowl and be done with it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Fly to LA in a couple weeks and watch the Chiefs :)
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Last February 13th the high was 9 low was -1. At 6pm it was 5. There was an inch of snow on the ground.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:50 am Saying the middle of February is better than the end of January is an argument I guess, although not a very good one.

Regardless, KC will never host Superbowls or big bowls on a regular basis because people are normal and like warm weather. So no reason to design a stadium around this.

If hunt has some fetish for hosting a super bowl he can pay for it. Voters here have already said no once and I suspect they would again.
You think your arguments are clever until you realize that Minneapolis just hosted two weeks worth of Super Bowl events like 4 years ago, and that was when the SB used to be like Feb. 3rd or so. In our time it'll be the 20th.
Last edited by AlkaliAxel on Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

shinatoo wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:14 pm Last February 13th the high was 9 low was -1. At 6pm it was 5. There was an inch of snow on the ground.
Again for 10th time now, we're playing for the 20th or 21st when it's an 18 game season soon. Jeez. So check on that one. We're not getting a Super Bowl during the 17 game season era.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:18 pm
shinatoo wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:14 pm Last February 13th the high was 9 low was -1. At 6pm it was 5. There was an inch of snow on the ground.
Again for 10th time now, we're playing for the 20th or 21st when it's an 18 game season soon. Jeez. So check on that one. We're not getting a Super Bowl during the 17 game season era.
Feb 20th and 21st 2021 6pm 38deg Drizzle. 32 deg by 9:30. 10mph wind.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

shinatoo wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:23 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:18 pm
Feb 20th and 21st 2021 6pm 38deg Drizzle. 32 deg by 9:30. 10mph wind.
I think kickoff is 5pm or 530. But given that this was the coldest February in decades last year, it's safe to say that's the worst case for this time. And if that's the worst case, then I think we'll be fine.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

The last time it was above 37 degs on Feb 20th or 21st was 2017.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

shinatoo wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:36 pm The last time it was above 37 degs on Feb 20th or 21st was 2017.
At the time 5pm or just as a high? because I don't buy that otherwise
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

5pm. Might have been a couple of deg higher for the high.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

shinatoo wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:45 pm 5pm. Might have been a couple of deg higher for the high.
Idk what else to tell you, it’s a 47-48 degree average. It very rarely ever snows that late in the winter here either.

I think one of the problems is that it’s so deeply imbedded in everyone from KC for so long that “all of winter is freezing” because “we’re Midwest and the Midwest has to be cold” that it can’t even be fathomable when I show data saying it’s 47-48 degrees on average with no snow. Its because when people thinking of February, they naturally just think about the worst days they experienced in it- when it may not be the reality. It’s just such a deeply imbedded stereotype that if you’re in the Midwest even in the slightest, your winter is like Minnesota until mid March. Like I said, I’m trying to break this stereotype.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

And again, if New Jersey hosted an outdoor Super Bowl in 2013 with colder climate than we have, then we should atleast try and see if we can host with 47-48 degree average days BEFORE we spend $1.5 bil.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

2 conversations are happening here: One if cold vs warm weather climate super bowls. The other is if KC is capable of hosting a Super Bow.

I agree that cold-weather Super Bowls may be less exciting for visitors then warm weather. However, as Alkali points out, NFL seems open to hosting them every few years. If that is the case, there is no reason to let IND be the only one bidding.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:50 pm
shinatoo wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:45 pm 5pm. Might have been a couple of deg higher for the high.
Idk what else to tell you, it’s a 47-48 degree average. It very rarely ever snows that late in the winter here either.

I think one of the problems is that it’s so deeply imbedded in everyone from KC for so long that “all of winter is freezing” because “we’re Midwest and the Midwest has to be cold” that it can’t even be fathomable when I show data saying it’s 47-48 degrees on average with no snow. Its because when people thinking of February, they naturally just think about the worst days they experienced in it- when it may not be the reality. It’s just such a deeply imbedded stereotype that if you’re in the Midwest even in the slightest, your winter is like Minnesota until mid March. Like I said, I’m trying to break this stereotype.
Actually I find the opposite. Those of use who have lived here for any length of time understand our winters aren't that bad, cold is snapped by warm days and snow doesn't stick around along. What you are describing is what outsiders tend to assume about KC weather. We do have some brutally cold days but not too many, I don't mind KC winters at all and I hate winter.

Demanding a super bowl is a good idea here because it's an average of 45 degrees is not breaking any stereotypes.