New Chiefs Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: New Chiefs Stadium

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:24 pm I'm not saying MPLS super bowl was a good idea. Horrible idea. Fine cities, not super bowl cities. Maybe if SB was in the summer it would be fun to rotate it around to other cities but not February.
I agree for the most part. Winter KC is not nearly as fun as summer KC. A summer Super Bowl in KC would be a smash hit (see World Cup 2026). Numerous articles were published deriding IND for being boring, cold, and for lacking adequate and affordable hotel capacity. I think it ended up going relatively well though.

IND wants to host again. If they are submitting bids I see no reason we shouldn't try either. Even in warm weather cities, fan events are held in convention centers/arenas or temporary facilities. Power & Light gets packed for the Super Bowl regardless of weather and is thankfully not far from the Convention DIstrict
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:18 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:24 pm I'm not saying MPLS super bowl was a good idea. Horrible idea. Fine cities, not super bowl cities. Maybe if SB was in the summer it would be fun to rotate it around to other cities but not February.
I agree for the most part. Winter KC is not nearly as fun as summer KC. A summer Super Bowl in KC would be a smash hit (see World Cup 2026). Numerous articles were published deriding IND for being boring, cold, and for lacking adequate and affordable hotel capacity. I think it ended up going relatively well though.

IND wants to host again. If they are submitting bids I see no reason we shouldn't try either. Even in warm weather cities, fan events are held in convention centers/arenas or temporary facilities. Power & Light gets packed for the Super Bowl regardless of weather and is thankfully not far from the Convention DIstrict
Ok well that's Indianapolis...no offense but KC is alot more fun and better than Indy and it's not even really close lol. And warmer too.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:37 pm

Ok well that's Indianapolis...no offense but KC is alot more fun and better than Indy and it's not even really close lol. And warmer too.
Same weather and I think we have fewer and/or not as nice downtown hotels as they do. They are walkable to the stadium vs we at least have an enjoyable downtown.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Exactly, and Wikipedia noted it was one of the lowest watched super bowl. A lot of people come in from out of town, our infrastructure would be strained plus the potential of a winter storm would be not a great time. With a new domed stadium and downtown MPLS it was fine but a gamble. since the NFL doesn’t care that much where it is, it was fine to reward the new dope ass stadium they got up there and risk it. No point in risking it on KC or other similarly situated cold weather smaller markets.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:42 pm

Same weather and I think we have fewer and/or not as nice downtown hotels as they do. They are walkable to the stadium vs we at least have an enjoyable downtown.
No our weather is warmer by a fair amount. Our temps are better and we get way less snow.

We get the best weather of all big cities in the Midwest. One of my goals is to bust stereotypes about KC.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Yeah, I'm on vacation right now and there's a reason I'm in the southern hemisphere.

Spending a billion dollars to host a game one time I think is too stupid even for us.

Again, I hear the chiefs are happy. If we get the world cup, they'll get some money. They'll get more when the royals do their thing too. I haven't heard any noise about a new stadium, just land use and basic renovations.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:54 am Yeah, I'm on vacation right now and there's a reason I'm in the southern hemisphere.

Spending a billion dollars to host a game one time I think is too stupid even for us.

Again, I hear the chiefs are happy. If we get the world cup, they'll get some money. They'll get more when the royals do their thing too. I haven't heard any noise about a new stadium, just land use and basic renovations.
Oh wait except it’s the middle of January right now and the Super Bowl is the middle of February.

Nobody’s saying it’s Aruba obv, but I’m saying there are people who highly overrate the KC winter. They act as if it’s an iceberg like the upper Midwest where I’m from and it’s not. It doesn’t even snow here hardly, and it’s t-shirt weather the last few Christmas’s. There’s a very stark difference from winters here in KC and up north where it’s 15 out literally every day, and frankly January is the only month I’d consider to be somewhat “harsh” here.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Saying the middle of February is better than the end of January is an argument I guess, although not a very good one.

Regardless, KC will never host Superbowls or big bowls on a regular basis because people are normal and like warm weather. So no reason to design a stadium around this.

If hunt has some fetish for hosting a super bowl he can pay for it. Voters here have already said no once and I suspect they would again.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:19 am

No our weather is warmer by a fair amount. Our temps are better and we get way less snow.

We get the best weather of all big cities in the Midwest. One of my goals is to bust stereotypes about KC.
Indy February average past 30 years - high - 41, low 24, winter season - 22 days of snow, 25 inches
KC February average past 30 years - high - 44, low 24, winter season - 13 days of snow, 18 inches

Not sure those are "fair amount" different.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It's okay to admit what we aren't everybody. As the super bowl runs today, we are not a good match for hosting one.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

would it be cool to host a Super Bowl? Sure and there would a uniqueness to it for the teams and fans having to deal with the weather. Most likely not a big deal but there will be some fans that will be super excited to sit in the cold and watch the game. However most people going to a SB are "fat cat" business folks, celebrities, and big money ppl that want comfort and are only there to take a self and post on their Instagram they are here. They have no rooting interest, or minimal rooting interest. Yes there will be fans of the team that make it but they are typically outnumbered by the others.

But weather is a real thing and FEB in KC has the potential to be cold, snowy and icy. This causes huge infrastructure issues of transporting fans to stadium and around town to events. Issues for the team moving about town and not to mention travel issues of getting to KC

Any city can experience issues, LA may have wild fires or an earthquake that will cause issues sure. But the warm weather sites you reduce the variables of what could impede the basics needs of playing the game in comfort, transportation, travel, etc.

If KC were to host it would be fun and KC is a fun town. If there is one thing we know how to do is throw a party that everyone is invited to. PPl would no doubt rave about how much fun they have and that perhaps they were not expecting to. So for the city to shine, I'm not worried about that. But shitty weather in FEB is better than a 50/50 prospect no matter how matter stats you find
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:00 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:19 am

Indy February average past 30 years - high - 41, low 24, winter season - 22 days of snow, 25 inches
KC February average past 30 years - high - 44, low 24, winter season - 13 days of snow, 18 inches

Not sure those are "fair amount" different.
Because you're lying

Kansas City February- 45.1 daily high, 11.0 inches of snow yearly
Indianapolis February- 40.8 daily high, 25.5 inches of snow yearly

Idk if you're looking at old stats, but these are the current stats. I'm a junior weather savant, I keep up with it all over the country.

So, yes, KC is fairly warmer than Indy and gets FAR less snow.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah not sure why I would "lie" about this. I found a site and posted that data. Happy to have a better source. I don't see 4.3 degrees difference (my source was 3) as a huge difference especially when talking about hosting an event like the SB.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/ ... verage.php
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:28 pm yeah not sure why I would "lie" about this. I found a site and posted that data. Happy to have a better source. I don't see 4.3 degrees difference (my source was 3) as a huge difference especially when talking about hosting an event like the SB.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/ ... verage.php
The airports in each city have the tracking data.

4.3 is a fair difference. However I think they key here is the snow. Does anyone really believe if we host a Super Bowl on Feb. 21st it'll be *that* cold or snow? When's the last time it ever snowed that late or was even that cold around that time. I'm also assuming that 45-55 range (which would be Feb. 21) isn't considered bad weather for hosting a game.

I don't understand how KC weather is that bad in late February to where we can't host. The data says it's fine, with way less snow than average. And I think we should TRY to make that case to the NFL before blowing $1.5 billion.
Last edited by AlkaliAxel on Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Already forget February 2021?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

moderne wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:45 pm Already forget February 2021?
On Feb. 20th the KC historical average is 47 degrees. Is that not good enough to host?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Since we're being pedantic about this, the super bowl this year is the 13th. Average snowfall in February is 5.9 inches, max on the 13th is 5.5" ( https://www.weather.gov/eax/kcrecnorm-feb)

Wonder what the snowfall in Miami and New Orleans would be that day? San Diego? Tampa?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:47 pm
moderne wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:45 pm Already forget February 2021?
On Feb. 20th the KC historical average is 47 degrees. Is that not good enough to host?
Not in my mind but opinions vary. I don't think many love to be hanging out at a super bowl experience in a full coat but everybody likes different weather.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:48 pm Since we're being pedantic about this, the super bowl this year is the 13th. Average snowfall in February is 5.9 inches, max on the 13th is 5.5" ( https://www.weather.gov/eax/kcrecnorm-feb)

Wonder what the snowfall in Miami and New Orleans would be that day? San Diego? Tampa?
3.2 inches in modern data (1990-2020). And in late Feb? Prob none

Yes it's on the 13th this year but in the near future with the 18 game schedule it'll be hosted on like Feb. 20 or 21st. That's why I'm saying, late Feb. isn't a problem for our weather at that time. It'll be 47 so it's up to NFL to decide whether that's feasible or not. I think it is.
Last edited by AlkaliAxel on Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah that's kinda my point