World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:34 pm I think our bid's 4 biggest pro's are:
1. Stadium size
2. Central location
3. Soccer fandom city/facilities
4. The Hunt family soccer influence
FIFA's comments on "clusters" kind of made It sound like a central location, but far away from other hosts, may not be that ideal. Agree on 1,3,4
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:39 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:34 pm I think our bid's 4 biggest pro's are:
1. Stadium size
2. Central location
3. Soccer fandom city/facilities
4. The Hunt family soccer influence
FIFA's comments on "clusters" kind of made It sound like a central location, but far away from other hosts, may not be that ideal. Agree on 1,3,4
I thought about that as well. I think you could also swap #2 and say "not shutting out the Midwest" as well just as easily.

I think our best and only shot at "cluster" is with Dallas & Denver. Denver might be thinking the same thing about us for their cluster case as well.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

This article just came out yesterday from USC about picking the host cities, and it really likes KC for a bid.

https://www.uscannenbergmedia.com/2021/ ... world-cup/

Made some interesting points, though I don't agree with it that they'll put USA games in KC.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I think it’s more likely than not that the us bases itself in kc. Don’t get to pick where they play though.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

GRID wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:15 am ^ Interesting. I guess I didn't realize how many people will be coming from out of town. I figured the vast majority of ticket buyers would be in the KC area or a few hours drive.
A large majority of the people at the game will not be local. Unless FIFA sets aside a decent number of tickets for locals a Kansas City resident has as much of a chance to buy a block of tickets as a person from Miami or England or France or China. From my experience a ticket buyer does not buy individual tickets for a match at a city but buys tickets for all matches at that city. Now for individual countries that may play in different cities I would assume that country/team would have access to tickets for the individual matches in each host city that country's team plays in for their fans to attend and support the team.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Clusters to me seems like it's a case where you can drive to the next city in about a day or a flight would be quick enough that an airline could turnaround at least two flights with the same plane

Looking at a map I can picture several likely clusters. Nashville, KC, Cincinnati, Dallas, Houston seems like it's doable for all possible routes.

If the first flight to Houston is at 6:30am, it arrives at 8:30am, unloads and refuels and is back in KC for a 2:30pm flight it could get back in Houston at 4:30pm. Not sure if a third round trip is possible with a tighter schedule but two clearly is.

On driving, it's possible to get a hotel halfway between all those cities or make a day of the trip and stay in the other city if the games are separated by a few days.
aknowledgeableperson wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:48 pm A large majority of the people at the game will not be local. Unless FIFA sets aside a decent number of tickets for locals a Kansas City resident has as much of a chance to buy a block of tickets as a person from Miami or England or France or China. From my experience a ticket buyer does not buy individual tickets for a match at a city but buys tickets for all matches at that city. Now for individual countries that may play in different cities I would assume that country/team would have access to tickets for the individual matches in each host city that country's team plays in for their fans to attend and support the team.
Basically like Big 12. People will buy a set and just might not use all of them all or might sell their later tickets to someone else if that's possible.

I could see each city getting some for promotional use. I also could see where some percentage local residents get first dibs at some seats before they go on general sale. They match to the zip code of your address.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

My experience is also that tickets must be purchased in a block for all sessions in a particular location. Although it has been ~25 years since I went to the last World Cup and things might be different, you also ranked your locations; if your first choice was LA, second choice was Dallas and third choice was DC you could end up with tickets in any one of those locations or none at all.

I could be wrong on this but I believe the team draw happens AFTER the tickets go on sale so you don't know which teams you'll be seeing when you sign up to buy tickets.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

kcjak wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:55 am My experience is also that tickets must be purchased in a block for all sessions in a particular location. Although it has been ~25 years since I went to the last World Cup and things might be different, you also ranked your locations; if your first choice was LA, second choice was Dallas and third choice was DC you could end up with tickets in any one of those locations or none at all.

I could be wrong on this but I believe the team draw happens AFTER the tickets go on sale so you don't know which teams you'll be seeing when you sign up to buy tickets.
For the 94 World Cup I remember having to order tickets by phone. My son's first choice was not Chicago but by the time we got through that choice was already sold out but Chicago was still available. Turned out to be a very good choice. And where the teams played the first round was already known.
PS
Just for the fun of it I looked up when I bought those tickets. I have used Quicken for decades and I found that the tickets were purchased on 6-12-93 in the amount of $544. The World Cup was a year later so I guess the teams hadn't completed the qualifying competition and the ranking for brackets.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

MO Lt. Gov Kehoe: “ Two months after officials with the international soccer federation visited Kansas City as part of a site selection tour, Kehoe said he believes the state has a near lock on being picked for an event that could draw tens of thousands of spectators to the western half of the state.”

That is quite a statement from the LG in today’s paper

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/gov ... 3f551.html

Here’s an interesting tidbit- apparently FIFA needs a blockage of sales tax on tickets

“Missouri lawmakers are being asked to approve legislation that would stop the collection of sales taxes on World Cup ticket sales. Under legislation filed by Senate Minority Leader John Rizzo, D-Independence, the tax would be left off the tickets during the duration of the event.

Kehoe said the existence of the tax is a red flag to FIFA.

“It is a deal breaker,” Kehoe said.“
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

should be a simple fix to remove the sales tax from the tickets, in exchange for the revenue to be generated on sales tax for everything else that the fans, corporate fans, and Teams will spend during their time here.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

dukuboy1 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:20 am should be a simple fix to remove the sales tax from the tickets, in exchange for the revenue to be generated on sales tax for everything else that the fans, corporate fans, and Teams will spend during their time here.
It says Kehoe knows soccer very well too and he thinks we’re a near lock, so that gives me optimism
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I would like to believe it's true, but I think the term "near lock" was the author of the article's choice. Here is the quote:

“I think it’s safe to say we’re a finalist,” Kehoe told members of the Missouri Tourism Commission Monday. “Quite frankly, I think our chances are pretty good.”

I'm not sure that a "pretty good" chance equals a near lock. Also, I don't quite get it -isn't KC already a finalist? Or will there be another narrowing down before the decision is made?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:19 pm I would like to believe it's true, but I think the term "near lock" was the author of the article's choice. Here is the quote:

“I think it’s safe to say we’re a finalist,” Kehoe told members of the Missouri Tourism Commission Monday. “Quite frankly, I think our chances are pretty good.”

I'm not sure that a "pretty good" chance equals a near lock. Also, I don't quite get it -isn't KC already a finalist? Or will there be another narrowing down before the decision is made?
I think he means the final 10 or 11 who get to host.

I’ve been reading alot of other cities newspapers to see they’re language and attitude on getting the World Cup. Of the ones who I think were in real competition with, we seem to have a bit more optimistic officials than them.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Concerns about FedEx Field complicate Washington's 2026 Bid

There's a growing sense that DC & Baltimore are going to join their bids together in order to get DC across the finish line.
-Baltimore would host the games
-DC would host all the events

Apparently, FIFA has a major problem because obviously they want games in DC..BUT...FedEx Field is such a giant piece of shit and so far from the city that they may need to bring in Baltimore to help out.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... dex-field/

My take is this may actually help KC get a bid, because if they're going with NY, Boston, DC & Baltimore, that's tough to also put Philly in there since you'd be giving half the games to just one little section of the country. I think they'd snub Philly then and let in KC & Denver for 10th and 11th spot.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Cincinatti is looking to build a "convention district". Their Port Authority took control of a 900 room hotel and bulldozed it. They are hoping to build a replacement hotel on that site. This is all being done with the hope it can be complete before 2026 and is a key piece of their FIFA bid.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:40 am Cincinatti is looking to build a "convention district". Their Port Authority took control of a 900 room hotel and bulldozed it. They are hoping to build a replacement hotel on that site. This is all being done with the hope it can be complete before 2026 and is a key piece of their FIFA bid.
They can try but out all the teams on the list, they're the absolute last city I'd ever see getting games.

KC's big announcement for FIFA was the new women's stadium on the riverfront. That *will* be there by 2024. Baltimore and Cincy are trying to counter it with their recent proposals.

I think if KC announces south loop cap soon along with the new river stadium, we get the games.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:12 am
normalthings wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:40 am Cincinatti is looking to build a "convention district". Their Port Authority took control of a 900 room hotel and bulldozed it. They are hoping to build a replacement hotel on that site. This is all being done with the hope it can be complete before 2026 and is a key piece of their FIFA bid.
They can try but out all the teams on the list, they're the absolute last city I'd ever see getting games.

KC's big announcement for FIFA was the new women's stadium on the riverfront. That *will* be there by 2024. Baltimore and Cincy are trying to counter it with their recent proposals.

I think if KC announces south loop cap soon along with the new river stadium, we get the games.
Cities have until 1/31 to submit final updates. Cincinnati is not even going to have a program developed by then. However, we need to keep the gas on more hotels to continue growing our convention business.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:42 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:12 am

Cities have until 1/31 to submit final updates. Cincinnati is not even going to have a program developed by then. However, we need to keep the gas on more hotels to continue growing our convention business.
Can we just preemptively get 4 Light announced as a hotel and submit that
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

If Cordish is planning a hotel in the next few years, I am certain it will make it into our bid.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Human Rights in the bid cities/states was identified by FIFA as an area of importance and was its own section of the bid. Having a 2-state metro means FIFA is looking at MO and KS on this.

Numerous states have considered or approved legislation. As far as I can tell, bidding states of Texas, Tennessee, and Florida have enacted trans sports laws. TN also has “bathroom bills” and Texas it’s abortion law. Doesn’t appear to have has a negative impact on getting business or events so far. Somehow, I have a feeling FIFA is willing to overlook human rights issues when it comes to the big money bids in Texas and Florida.
Maybe Tennessee is small enough for them to cut out. Not exactly surprising considering FIFAs 2022 World Cup track record.

Edit: is Tennessee farther right then missouri?
While numerous anti-LGBTQ measures advanced in GOP-led statehouses across the country, no state's political leaders went further than Tennessee in enacting new laws targeting transgender people.

Under Tennessee's bathroom measure, a student, parent or employee could sue in an effort to claim monetary damages "for all psychological, emotional, and physical harm suffered" if school officials allow a transgender person into the bathroom or locker room when others are in there. They also could take legal action if required to stay in the same sleeping quarters as a member of the opposite sex at birth, unless that person is a family member.