Phase Three Streetcar Expansion

Transportation topics in KC

What route should the third phase of streetcar expansion follow?

Linwood: Main to Michigan(71 Highway)
10%
Country Club ROW: UMKC to Brookside/Waldo
22%
Country Club ROW: UMKC through Brookside/Waldo to Prospect
13%
Linwood: Main to Emanuel Cleaver 2
12%
City/County Wide Rail Project
36%
Other
8%

Total votes: 111

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Phase Three Streetcar Expansion

Post by DaveKCMO »

It’s cost/benefit, so yes BRT might qualify for federal funding. You can’t get federal funds on future development and density.

Not saying it’s not possible, but you’d need to build incrementally as you address land use. It’s really far away!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:27 am You can’t get federal funds on future development and density.
No, but putting out a plan will get the future development you want in the location you want to get the density needed to make the plan viable.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:27 am You can’t get federal funds on future development and density.
Isn’t the riverfront extension federally funded?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:15 am
Riverfront is a small project so it fell under BUILD (now RAISE). Projects like UMKC extension or any other big ones (ie airport) are under CIG.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:35 pm
Riverfront is a small project so it fell under BUILD (now RAISE). Projects like UMKC extension or any other big ones (ie airport) are under CIG.
I’m sorry but I do not know what that means
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:09 pm
normalthings wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:35 pm

I’m sorry but I do not know what that means
Different federal funding programs
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

So let me get this straight:

It's "hey let's spend $300 mil to build a streetcar line down Main St. so we can get that money back in investment along the streetcar line"

And then "oh now let's kill all the investment that wants to come up along the line that we wanted"

How does this make any sense
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:24 pm So let me get this straight:

It's "hey let's spend $300 mil to build a streetcar line down Main St. so we can get that money back in investment along the streetcar line"

And then "oh now let's kill all the investment that wants to come up along the line that we wanted"

City didn't spend any money on the streetcar line.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:19 pm

I mean, you get the point
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:09 pm

You start to get why so many people leave KC, but remain loyal to the city. Every few years, KC takes steps backwards, just as things start to turn a corner. It's frustrating as hell and much easier to deal with when you no longer live there. But I will always pull for the city.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:19 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:09 pm
You start to get why so many people leave KC, but remain loyal to the city. Every few years, KC takes steps backwards, just as things start to turn a corner. It's frustrating as hell and much easier to deal with when you no longer live there. But I will always pull for the city.
There are tech, banking, and development leaders on the global and national scale with roots in KC. They love the city and want to do stuff here but just can't get it to work out.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

It’s almost like some people in this city have the mindset of “we can have some growth but TOO much growth isn’t what we’re meant for!”

With that being said I still think we’re growing more and in the best spot we’ve been in, in decades.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Yes, through a small discretionary grant program. You can do small incremental projects that fit within those programs, but no one here is proposing small extensions that only need $25 million or less from the feds (which is the max from the RAISE grant program).

A streetcar project that WOULD fit within that program would be an extension south to Crestwood Shops using the CCROW, but no one is talking about that and it's outside of the new TDD so you'd have to put something in place for operating funds.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Extend it to Crestwood and make those darn freeloaders at the Walnuts pay for it!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kboish wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:36 am Extend it to Crestwood and make those darn freeloaders at the Walnuts pay for it!
LOL. You mean my good buddy Kay Barnes? :lol:
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kboish wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:36 am Extend it to Crestwood and make those darn freeloaders at the Walnuts pay for it!
Crestwood Shops would be amazing and a great start to Brookside/Waldo. Is it possible to propose a separate TDD to the South? or,I would think there are enough people in the existing TDD that any Brookside resistance would get outvoted.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:17 am
Crestwood Shops would be amazing and a great start to Brookside/Waldo. Is it possible to propose a separate TDD to the South? or,I would think there are enough people in the existing TDD that any Brookside resistance would get outvoted.
A better approach would be combine several Missouri-side extensions into a larger single TDD, but technically a separate smaller TDD is possible.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Can't imagine Brookside supporting streetcar until the UMKC extension is actually running and they see what they're missing. Some also don't want to lose the bike path. Seems this would be 5+ years out to even have serious consideration.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:32 am Can't imagine Brookside supporting streetcar until the UMKC extension is actually running and they see what they're missing. Some also don't want to lose the bike path. Seems this would be 5+ years out to even have serious consideration.
isn't the ROW wide enough for both?
Last edited by normalthings on Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:27 am
normalthings wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:17 am
A better approach would be combine several Missouri-side extensions into a larger single TDD, but technically a separate smaller TDD is possible.
Would love to see it and East/West in the next few years