City Hall Replacement

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

City Hall Replacement

Post by normalthings »

City Hall and Jackson County Courthouse have a debilitating pipe leak or another major issue at least once a year. Now City Hall's garage is getting ready to collapse. At some point, we need to start thinking about replacement facilities. Thoughts?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: City Hall Replacement

Post by beautyfromashes »

normalthings wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:27 pm City Hall and Jackson County Courthouse have a debilitating pipe leak or another major issue at least once a year. Now City Hall's garage is getting ready to collapse. At some point, we need to start thinking about replacement facilities. Thoughts?
How about updating the old Federal Reserve building as a temporary City Hall/Courthouse and doing proper renovations on the two buildings instead of bandaids? The old Fed should have layouts and amenities good enough for the short term and activity in the building might spark movement after they move out.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

normalthings wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:27 pmAt some point, we need to start thinking about replacement facilities.
....or rehabilitation of the buildings that, uh, already exist?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:44 pm
normalthings wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:27 pmAt some point, we need to start thinking about replacement facilities.
....or rehabilitation of the buildings that, uh, already exist?
Exactly, build replacement facilities and renovate the old into housing. Gut job is needed but intrusive and costly if you are working around active offices
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Just fix it and maintain it properly -- basically what they should be doing with everything.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I like the idea of moving out and fixing it properly versus new buildings.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:32 am I like the idea of moving out and fixing it properly versus new buildings.
yeah, the board of education went the new building route and the old building ended up an empty lot instead of being redeveloped.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:16 am
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:32 am I like the idea of moving out and fixing it properly versus new buildings.
yeah, the board of education went the new building route and the old building ended up an empty lot instead of being redeveloped.
+1 on renovate. We gotta get out of this habit of tearing down buildings and then lamenting all the vacant lots in the city.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

+ on renovate. Those two buildings are among the best examples we have of our art deco architecture. If the Power & Light and 909 Walnut buildings can be renovated, there's no reason these buildings cannot.

And didn't the City just refurbish the exterior of City Hall just a few years ago?
Philacav
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Philacav »

City Hall is as much a landmark as other notable city halls of a similar vintage, like the Los Angeles City Hall. It’s not going anywhere. It would be costly to do a full renovation but perhaps the current issues will create a momentum to finally take it all on. I hope so.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Philacav wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:03 pm City Hall is as much a landmark as other notable city halls of a similar vintage, like the Los Angeles City Hall. It’s not going anywhere. It would be costly to do a full renovation but perhaps the current issues will create a momentum to finally take it all on. I hope so.
Same said about BOE though.
Philacav
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Philacav »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:20 pm
Philacav wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:03 pm City Hall is as much a landmark as other notable city halls of a similar vintage, like the Los Angeles City Hall. It’s not going anywhere. It would be costly to do a full renovation but perhaps the current issues will create a momentum to finally take it all on. I hope so.
Same said about BOE though.
I’ll take your word for it as I was not aware of the discussion about the building. I wager there’d be far more affection for City Hall than the former library/BOE. A matter of architectural taste of course.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I am not proposing the demolition of the existing structures. I am proposing new replacement facilities constructed at a different location (your choice of east village, 18th vine, BOE, etc), government moves out of what is there today, and the old get gutted and refurbished into something else.

We can't keep having expensive bad aid after expensive band-aid. Build all new facilities and turn the old into housing or another use. Power & Light kicked everyone out, was gutted, and turned into a new use. Lets do the same with City Hall.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

normalthings wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:11 pm I am not proposing the demolition of the existing structures. I am proposing new replacement facilities constructed at a different location (your choice of east village, 18th vine, BOE, etc), government moves out of what is there today, and the old get gutted and refurbished into something else.

We can't keep having expensive bad aid after expensive band-aid. Build all new facilities and turn the old into housing or another use. Power & Light kicked everyone out, was gutted, and turned into a new use. Lets do the same with City Hall.
Totally agree with this as long as it is guaranteed the buildings wouldn't be torn down, thus the discussion of BOE. They said the building would be redeveloped when they built their new building but it's now gone.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:11 pm I am not proposing the demolition of the existing structures. I am proposing new replacement facilities constructed at a different location (your choice of east village, 18th vine, BOE, etc), government moves out of what is there today, and the old get gutted and refurbished into something else.

Could do the same and keep it city hall. A new city hall is going to be a boring building.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:17 pm

Totally agree with this as long as it is guaranteed the buildings wouldn't be torn down, thus the discussion of BOE. They said the building would be redeveloped when they built their new building but it's now gone.
My thought is KCMO says they want to build work force housing and can actually develop this as such vs schools plan was to sell it off for renovation.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

If they build a new city hall I can guarantee it’ll be mediocre at best and absolute trash at worst. The existing city hall is a building so lavish and expensive, KC couldn’t have ever even afforded it normally. Turning it into something as mundane as apartments would be like turning the British parliament into a luxury hotel. Strange, unnecessary, and a total shame
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:52 pm If they build a new city hall I can guarantee it’ll be mediocre at best and absolute trash at worst. The existing city hall is a building so lavish and expensive, KC couldn’t have ever even afforded it normally. Turning it into something as mundane as apartments would be like turning the British parliament into a luxury hotel. Strange, unnecessary, and a total shame
I'd take a boring City Hall being built on an empty lot and 1000 new DT residents in the current building any day of the week.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:43 pm I'd take a boring City Hall being built on an empty lot and 1000 new DT residents in the current building any day of the week.
If the goal is just getting 1000 more people downtown, there are a million better ways of doing that besides kicking the city government out of their historic purpose built skyscraper.

For instance, you could kick the computers out of the Bryant Building and put people there. Or restart the old federal reserve project as apartments and put them there. Or restore oak tower as apartments and put them there. Or restore the scarritt building as apartments and put them there. Or restore the grand temple building as apartments and put them there............
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah but a fan of this idea at all. City hall is an awesome building inside and out. Keep it a public building