Hotel President

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by WoodDraw »

That is just not a nice color.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

That's a great color. Doesn't pair well with dry wall grey.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

shinatoo wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:26 pm That's a great color. Doesn't pair well with dry wall grey.
That looks like finish wall tile
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

One of the other restrooms was more finished (fixtures and stall doors were installed) and it looks great. Little lights above the stall to tell you which ones are occupied.

Missouri limestone covers the headhouse wall above the ticketing counters. Ceilings will be wood to echo the old parquet floors. Nice touches.

The last picture I posted is where RideKC buses will board. No shelters required due to the cover of the roadway. The rest of the tour didn't get to see that section.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I like it
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

What was the count on water bottle filling stations in the new terminal? Flying through Denver tonight I could only find one In concourse C and it was a hike from my gate area, at least 3 moving sidewalks, and there was a line for it. I know KC won’t have quite the demand as DEN, but hopefully we don’t catch ourselves in a situation like this.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I would guess outside every bathroom
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:56 pm What was the count on water bottle filling stations in the new terminal? Flying through Denver tonight I could only find one In concourse C and it was a hike from my gate area, at least 3 moving sidewalks, and there was a line for it. I know KC won’t have quite the demand as DEN, but hopefully we don’t catch ourselves in a situation like this.
I was at the Denver airport several times this summer, for a number of hours in total. Although it was designed and built in the 1990s, it is surprisingly dated. There are public phone stations throughout (but with the Mountain Bell pay phones removed, leaving holes in the walls). The bathrooms are old-school (actually like an old high school); the gate areas are crowded -- strange considering the unlimited space they had when planning. The interiors are really worn as well. Time for a refresh.

The flow of the airport is also irritating -- there is no alternate way to move from concourse A to B to C if the terminal-train fails (which is happening more frequently). Security is a logjam, perhaps because this airport opened before 9/11. The light-rail to the city ends about 200 yards before and 30 feet below baggage claim (why not tunnel it right under baggage claim, or better, put it at grade with baggage claim?) And don't get me started with the penalty fare for the light-rail that only applies to airport users. Other ground transport options appear to have been built for a city of 10 million -- large rental car and parking operations miles from the terminal; a vast highway slog to the city; confusing roadways galore.

TL;DR You need to leave downtown Denver 3 hours before your flight and you'll want lounge access at this airport.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

So is there still 4,500 sf of "lounge" space available on the main floor in B node? Delta is taking 11k sf. but that's a floor higher.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:54 pm So is there still 4,500 sf of "lounge" space available on the main floor in B node? Delta is taking 11k sf. but that's a floor higher.
Isn't that the uso?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

WoodDraw wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:55 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:54 pm So is there still 4,500 sf of "lounge" space available on the main floor in B node? Delta is taking 11k sf. but that's a floor higher.
Isn't that the uso?
From what I remember the USO will be in head-house, or just barely on A concourse, they tend to be pre security.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

normalthings wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:40 pm Image

Solar field rendering
Suspect this will be one of our big infrastructure federal bids.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Garage Glass Installation Begins
Shingled glass installation is underway on the Kansas City International Airport New Terminal parking garage with more than 100 pieces installed to date. The average weight of each piece is 1,600 pounds, with some of the larger pieces weighing in at just under a ton. Click on the images to view larger.

Moving Walkways Installed
Treads are being installed on the Kansas City International Airport New Terminal’s four moving walkways in the connector between the concourses. Each of the walkways’ 1,000 – 1,200 treads are installed by hand. When complete, they will move at a pace of 100 feet per minute, which will transport standing travelers at 1.4 miles per hour and walking passengers at approximately 2.24 miles per hour. Moving walkway protocol is stand on right, walk on left! Of course, travelers have the option to walk on their own in the center of the connector. At the halfway point of the connector there will be a break in the walkways into an open area. This space will feature a display outlining the history of the airport property, aviation in Kansas City and of the airport itself. Click on the photos to view larger.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It's so fun getting a real airport!
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:23 am It's so fun getting a real airport!
*cue GRID coming at you now telling you how it’s not a real airport and every other city including has this, and how Indianapolis airport is so much more advanced than ours it even has a fire-breathing dragon at the front of theirs
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:05 pm
*cue GRID coming at you now telling you how it’s not a real airport and every other city including has this, and how Indianapolis airport is so much more advanced than ours it even has a fire-breathing dragon at the front of theirs
IND would have a better airport if security was BEFORE concessions and not the other way around. The overly large head house and putting concessions before security were big misses in my book.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:05 pm
I guess you don't actually comprehend my posts. I have always supported the new terminal 100% and am excited that KC will actually have a functioning modern airport terminal. That said, it absolutely will be a bare bones "economy" terminal. Maybe there is nothing wrong with that, but most new airport terminals around the USA and the World do try to go that extra mile to build something special and memorable.

The most memorable thing about the new KCI is that it will function like a normal airport should function and have even the most basic amenities that frequent travelers are used to in nearly any mid to major sized airport in the world. And that's okay. But I was just hoping for more. No big deal though.

You know it's okay to be down to earth and realistic about things and not always sound like a member of the chamber of commerce.
Last edited by GRID on Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID is generally right with the airport. The "game-changer" is just getting back to something close to average. Same thing with hotel construction downtown and a number of other topics, we are just getting back up to average. That is why it is dangerous that many are saying we need to slow or stop building when all we have done is get back to something remotely close to average.