OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by WoodDraw »

As kcp said, it's about connections. I fly Delta, so getting me to CDG is amazing. I flew there recently to go to Turkey. Getting me to lesser flown cities is not very helpful or lucrative I'd imagine?

You want a hub that connects with all of Europe.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

WoodDraw wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:19 pm As kcp said, it's about connections. I fly Delta, so getting me to CDG is amazing. I flew there recently to go to Turkey. Getting me to lesser flown cities is not very helpful or lucrative I'd imagine?

All the cities I named would have connections to every other major city in Europe, ME, China, Russia and lots of Africa, etc and I'd much rather spend time in them than Frankfort or London.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:28 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:19 pm As kcp said, it's about connections. I fly Delta, so getting me to CDG is amazing. I flew there recently to go to Turkey. Getting me to lesser flown cities is not very helpful or lucrative I'd imagine?

All the cities I named would have connections to every other major city in Europe, ME, China, Russia and lots of Africa, etc.
I should have been more clear. While I've been on all those airports, I have no idea what their codeshare is with American or Delta and the frequency of flights. That's the important part.

With Europe there are a few hubs that dominate for international travel. Connections mean nothing if you can't make them.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

WoodDraw wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:32 pm I should have been more clear. While I've been on all those airports, I have no idea what their codeshare is with American or Delta and the frequency of flights. That's the important part.

With Europe there are a few hubs that dominate for international travel. Connections mean nothing if you can't make them.
Iberia partners with AA and Alitalia partners with Delta.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Neither are very good partners, and one doesn't exist anymore. Not sure what happened in the bankruptcy.

Not about partners though, it's about flights.

I'd take it though.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Frankfurt is the best, most central European city we could add non-stop service to. Paris and CDG is trash. Many, many people purposely avoid it at all costs. Frankfurt on the other hand is pretty much the gold standard for European, African, and West Asia destinations.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

im2kull wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:59 am Frankfurt is the best, most central European city we could add non-stop service to. Paris and CDG is trash. Many, many people purposely avoid it at all costs. Frankfurt on the other hand is pretty much the gold standard for European, African, and West Asia destinations.
If you’re traveling on, it’s a great option. But, it’s not a destination and not exactly close to the major cities you’d want to visit. Schiphol in Amsterdam is a beautiful airport with connections and is a destination city on its own. It’d be my preference. CDG is trash but you’re in a city you’d want to visit. I’d love a place you could jet to for a long weekend without much addition hassle/travel.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:44 am
im2kull wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:59 am Frankfurt is the best, most central European city we could add non-stop service to. Paris and CDG is trash. Many, many people purposely avoid it at all costs. Frankfurt on the other hand is pretty much the gold standard for European, African, and West Asia destinations.
If you’re traveling on, it’s a great option. But, it’s not a destination and not exactly close to the major cities you’d want to visit. Schiphol in Amsterdam is a beautiful airport with connections and is a destination city on its own. It’d be my preference. CDG is trash but you’re in a city you’d want to visit. I’d love a place you could jet to for a long weekend without much addition hassle/travel.
AMS would be my vote honestly, transit connections to the terminals alone make it leaps and bounds better, and it’s all of 10 miles from downtown , if that. Delta does serve the second highest amount of passengers from KC, so it wouldn’t be hard for them to pick it up a little bit for that
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

That would be my choice but mostly because of my United frequent flier status and Lufthansa alliance. I flew through Frankfurt extensively from 98-2016 for my job. I found it a decent enough airport but a little bit of a maze and I didn’t care for the propensity to deplane on the tarmac. That can be timely and frustrating with a 747 or AB380. That said, the connections are excellent and Frankfurt is ideally situated in a very central location in Western Europe with good railroad connections. I don’t care for CDG. Heathrow is fine but BA is an expensive airline and I wonder how Brexit will impact connections to the rest of Europe (haven’t been thru the UK since Brexit). KLM through Amsterdam is another good option.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Not a huge fan of CDG but it has great connections and Paris is a major destination in itself. It would make a lot of sense for a direct continental flight.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Solar field rendering
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

that would be insanely awesome.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Any chance we could use the old terminals for battery storage or control center?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:41 pm Any chance we could use the old terminals for battery storage or control center?
I think I've said about 30 times now that the old terminals need to come down to make way for apron space, future expansion ,etc.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

I would guess that the solar farm will look much smaller once the FAA gets a chance to review it. I highly doubt they will allow the solar panels to be that close to RWY 9/27 or the approach end of 1L. And is there a way to guarantee the reflection from the panels won't blind incoming pilots?
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

horizons82 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:02 am
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:48 am I think it’s more so the fact that it’s a full two stories above the terminal. It makes the arrivals area feel like a canyon. I still argue that the expense of going subterranean for a couple stories would’ve helped to not make the garage feel as imposing
The cost of going below grade is significant. There’s not a world where you VE the roof heights/forms of the terminal but still budget for sub-grade parking.

I get what you’re saying about a canyon effect in the departures roadway, but that also occurs at plenty of other facilities. It seems silly to single out this as a KC blunder when it occurs all over the country.
The cost of going below grade is that same as the cost when we went below grade on the other short term parking garages we built at MCI at the other terminals. That was the right approach.

The massive parking garage we have built looks absolutely ridiculous and it compromises what otherwise could have been a decent arrival experience to the new terminal. And just because some other airports have made a similar mistake doesn’t make it right.

WTF.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

MidtownCat wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:33 am
horizons82 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:02 am
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:48 am I think it’s more so the fact that it’s a full two stories above the terminal. It makes the arrivals area feel like a canyon. I still argue that the expense of going subterranean for a couple stories would’ve helped to not make the garage feel as imposing
The cost of going below grade is significant. There’s not a world where you VE the roof heights/forms of the terminal but still budget for sub-grade parking.

I get what you’re saying about a canyon effect in the departures roadway, but that also occurs at plenty of other facilities. It seems silly to single out this as a KC blunder when it occurs all over the country.
The cost of going below grade is that same as the cost when we went below grade on the other short term parking garages we built at MCI at the other terminals. That was the right approach.

The massive parking garage we have built looks absolutely ridiculous and it compromises what otherwise could have been a decent arrival experience to the new terminal. And just because some other airports have made a similar mistake doesn’t make it right.

WTF.
all of the above
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't disagree it would be better below ground but nobody (airlines) are paying for that hence why every airport has it.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

normalthings wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:41 am
beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:41 pm Any chance we could use the old terminals for battery storage or control center?
I think I've said about 30 times now that the old terminals need to come down to make way for apron space, future expansion ,etc.
But, I'm tired of tearing things down.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »