OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Post by WoodDraw »

You have no idea what you’re talking about. ☺️
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I'll try one last time.

In the United States, mens and womens players don't get to pick where they play, other than in special circumstances.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

WoodDraw you are only partially right. MLS now has free agency and international players usually have a choice - for example Pulido and Russell both would have had to chosen to come here. These occurrences are more than special circumstances and cover the majority of the higher paid players, however you are correct that a significant number of players do not have a say and that playing downtown would likely be far down a list of determining factors. State of the art stadium and training/practice facilities would typically be a major determinant though.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

TrolliKC wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:38 pm WoodDraw you are only partially right. MLS now has free agency and international players usually have a choice - for example Pulido and Russell both would have had to chosen to come here. These occurrences are more than special circumstances and cover the majority of the higher paid players, however you are correct that a significant number of players do not have a say and that playing downtown would likely be far down a list of determining factors. State of the art stadium and training/practice facilities would typically be a major determinant though.
MLS free agency is incredibly restricted, and way too complicated to get into for this thread, especially internationally.

For those slots it's all based off of money though and availability of the club to offer it within the rules.

Nwsl has no free agency.

These players live all over the city and none of them would spend time training downtown. They're already playing in class facilities, best in the leagues and national teams.

Building a downtown stadium will have no impact on attracting players under the current setup.
Last edited by WoodDraw on Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

My argument to him, in this and every other sport, was always that when it's a close call in free agency for players (which happens all the time) then having a great place/location to play makes the difference. Especially in a non-coastal city like KC, you need all the help you can get luring players. It's like "hey, you're gonna be playing in a stadium that's in the middle of nowhere in a city that's already in the middle of nowhere. Come sign with us!" is what they think has no bearings at all for players. It's just...lol.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Omg, I can't believe this. There are 32 mls free agents across the league. There are no nwsl free agents.

International free agents only want money.

Ffs, make this stop
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:55 pm Omg, I can't believe this. There are 32 mls free agents across the league. There are no nwsl free agents.

Ffs, make this stop
LOL. If they command enough value to control their own destiny, international soccer signings in the USA go to the coasts only. David Beckham & Zlatan played in LA for a reason. SKC could offer David Beckham anything and he'd have chosen LA.

I'll reiterate again, if it's a close call in free agency for a player between multiple spots- or it could be a big free agent that can get cash offered anywhere- they're going to play in a place they want to be at. The entirety of free agent sports decisions doesn't come down to the exact penny offered. Location is a huge factor in free agent sports decisions. That's every single NBA star (and most NFL,MLB, soccer) that's hit free agency signs mostly based on location- because they can get paid anywhere as a given already. That's how the decisions are made.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/complete ... mls-season

Which one of these free agent stars would you have signed?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Don't forget they go to the salary cap.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I would have listed all the star nwsl players we could sign but they don't have free agency.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:22 pm Be patient on the SKC stuff. Believe things are ongoing.
Really? They are making some facilities investments that do not support a "we will be gone in 4 years" mentality.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:55 pm Omg, I can't believe this. There are 32 mls free agents across the league. There are no nwsl free agents.

Ffs, make this stop
This whole string should be moved to sports. Regarding 32 - that number will increase in the future. Free agency has only been around since 2015 in MLS and only in its present form which lowered the age and expanded the potential pool. Money is only one consideration for internationals, albeit an important one.

Anyway, I’m glad the NWSL stadium will go downtown. It will help maximize the audience, the experience and perhaps tangentially, impact the players somehow.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

https://twitter.com/kcstreetcar/status/ ... 99235?s=20

Wrap or an extension to the stadium?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

wrap
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

The season just ended which makes it a weird time for a wrap?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:46 pm The season just ended which makes it a weird time for a wrap?
My thoughts exactly
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm hoping for the extension of course, just seemed like a wrap with the image they posted with the tweet. They just put up billboards too.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah, kinda odd if streetcar soccer theme wrap at this time but could still be something as mundane as that.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I guess it makes sense with the rebranding to get the name out downtown since they're moving here.

Maybe both, announce a long term study/partnership. They made a big deal about having no new parking.