South KC: $5B district primarily genomic research/life sciences center

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

South KC: $5B district primarily genomic research/life sciences center

Post by earthling »

Developers plan genomic research facility, greenhouse to launch $5B south KC project
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... earch.html
Jim Stowers III, owner of Oxford Cos. LLC, and Ryan Cos. shared plans to kick off The Glade, on 325 undeveloped acres northwest of Interstate 435 and 87th Street, with a 120,000-square-foot Center for Excellence in Genomic Research.

The building will be split evenly between lab and administrative space, launching a central 1.4 million-square-foot village center with commercial and residential uses. Of that figure, 1 million square feet will be programmed for life science research and supporting businesses, Brandon Brensing, director of real estate development with Ryan Cos.' Kansas City office, told the Port Authority of Kansas City's development committee Monday afternoon.
It's a rehash of Oxford on the Blue proposed several years ago fused in with The Glade.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: South KC: $5B district primarily genomic research/life sciences center

Post by Highlander »

earthling wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:27 pm Developers plan genomic research facility, greenhouse to launch $5B south KC project
Jim Stowers III, owner of Oxford Cos. LLC, and Ryan Cos. shared plans to kick off The Glade, on 325 undeveloped acres northwest of Interstate 435 and 87th Street, with a 120,000-square-foot Center for Excellence in Genomic Research.

The building will be split evenly between lab and administrative space, launching a central 1.4 million-square-foot village center with commercial and residential uses. Of that figure, 1 million square feet will be programmed for life science research and supporting businesses, Brandon Brensing, director of real estate development with Ryan Cos.' Kansas City office, told the Port Authority of Kansas City's development committee Monday afternoon.
It's a rehash of Oxford on the Blue proposed several years ago fused in with The Glade.
Related question. Several years ago, the Stowers Institute was contemplating a Stowers Institute Phase II. Did that ever happen? I am assuming this proposal has nothing to do with the actual Stowers Institute other than the life science theme?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Highlander wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:50 pm
earthling wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:27 pm Developers plan genomic research facility, greenhouse to launch $5B south KC project

Related question. Several years ago, the Stowers Institute was contemplating a Stowers Institute Phase II. Did that ever happen? I am assuming this proposal has nothing to do with the actual Stowers Institute other than the life science theme?
That was a 600,000 sqft project contemplated back in 2006. This new life sciences center in the suburbs is the type of thing that should be in the core. Potential for a large, high paying job center in the future.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

This should be built in the Paseo West neighborhood. Build it in a location where there are already streets, sewers, water mains, utilities, transit.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

normalthings wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:13 pm
Highlander wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:50 pm

That was a 600,000 sqft project contemplated back in 2006. This new life sciences center in the suburbs is the type of thing that should be in the core. Potential for a large, high paying job center in the future.
What I am talking was after 2006 and the subject of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2151&start=80

The expansion was delayed by Missouri stem-cell research opposition. I don't think it was ever built. At least I've heard nothing out of Stowers on the expansion for a long time.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Would rather see it invested into UMKC and boost UMKC broader into a life sciences research university but given the land Stowers owns out there, not surprising. At least it's in KCMO proper.
CorneliusFB
Pad site
Pad site

Post by CorneliusFB »

FangKC wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:27 pm This should be built in the Paseo West neighborhood. Build it in a location where there are already streets, sewers, water mains, utilities, transit.
Or the other half of the Cerner land? I think we can all see where that project is headed. Something like this could be the saving grace. Now we’ll just have two more half finished projects in that area. If Marion Park isn’t a cautionary tale I don’t Know what is.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

CorneliusFB wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:59 am
FangKC wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:27 pm This should be built in the Paseo West neighborhood. Build it in a location where there are already streets, sewers, water mains, utilities, transit.
Or the other half of the Cerner land? I think we can all see where that project is headed. Something like this could be the saving grace. Now we’ll just have two more half finished projects in that area. If Marion Park isn’t a cautionary tale I don’t Know what is.
If they are dead set on SKC, It would be nice if this project were merged into the Cerner project. I doubt that Cerner project is even finished now and even if it were finished as planned, it's an urban planning disaster and there is still plenty of room on that site to bring in some other uses.

I don't even get the appeal of the site north of 87th. It's a very bizarre location for such a development.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:31 pm
If they are dead set on SKC, It would be nice if this project were merged into the Cerner project. I doubt that Cerner project is even finished now and even if it were finished as planned, it's an urban planning disaster and there is still plenty of room on that site to bring in some other uses.

I don't even get the appeal of the site north of 87th. It's a very bizarre location for such a development.
Politics come into play with the location as does the existing ownership.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:31 pm

I don't get the appeal of that area at all. I was out there during my recent visit to KC. Cerner looked just plopped down without any real forethought. The parking area is an order of magnitude or more larger than the built area. Not sure another development will have much positive effect on the general area; as far as I could tell, Cerner has had no positive impact. In fact, I'd say the surrounding area was in worse shape than my last visit out there.
earthling wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:11 am Would rather see it invested into UMKC and boost UMKC broader into a life sciences research university but given the land Stowers owns out there, not surprising. At least it's in KCMO proper.

That would be very good if it could ever happen. UMKC doesn't have much room to grow other than increasing the density on the property they already have. UMKC has been assimilating property to the south for decades but I hate to see it grow into the surrounding neighborhoods. The best place or UMKC and/or Stowers growth would be to the NE in the area east of Troost and south of Cleaver.
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

Along Bannister I think the new Price Chopper is done and the hotel on the corner is taking shape. It’s better than nothing.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Others in future
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

I wonder if the Cerner acquisition will impact this at all?
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

freedog wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:17 pm I wonder if the Cerner acquisition will impact this at all?
Predictions as to what will percent of the mall footprint will be redeveloped in 5 years?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Wonder what the current status of this $5B project is. There hasn't been an update since Nov, when apt construction started...
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... h-hub.html
https://martincitytelegraph.com/2021/11 ... nce-world/

STL's $2B Cortex district has been losing money since just before pandemic even with high occupancy and pandemic didn't help. They have a good idea to focus more on pandemic/remote work proof space like more lab space and focus more on job training.

Glade is planning 50/50 lab/office, might make sense to focus first on lab space until remote work dust settles. No incentives being sought for the housing.

The streetscape scale isn't too bad for a non-urban project like this...
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

mistervinix wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:29 pm
freedog wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:17 pm I wonder if the Cerner acquisition will impact this at all?
Predictions as to what will percent of the mall footprint will be redeveloped in 5 years?
Hopefully Oracle/Cerner will build out data centers instead of more office at Bannister site and open a major presence downtown (W&R building). The City may need to aggressively pursue this by restructuring Bannister incentives as Oracle may not consider it by default. Office employees could choose if they want urban or 80s office park. City should convince Oracle to create KC as another general Oracle hub city that any Oracle employee could hop around to as a digital nomad, not just become the Health HQ.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

earthling wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:45 am Wonder what the current status of this $5B project is. There hasn't been an update since Nov, when apt construction started...
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... h-hub.html
https://martincitytelegraph.com/2021/11 ... nce-world/

STL's $2B Cortex district has been losing money since just before pandemic even with high occupancy and pandemic didn't help. They have a good idea to focus more on pandemic/remote work proof space like more lab space and focus more on job training.

Glade is planning 50/50 lab/office, might make sense to focus first on lab space until remote work dust settles. No incentives being sought for the housing.

The streetscape scale isn't too bad for a non-urban project like this...
There is a lot of dirt work being done out there. This is a Google Maps aerial and I'm sure a lot had been done since the Google update was done.

https://www.google.com/maps/place//@38. ... 94.5486945

It would make sense for a lot of people working in the labs and offices to live in that development -- even if they work from home most of the time. They could still easily walk or bike to the lab/office on days they had to put in face time.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^The apts were planned to start leasing this Spring, unknown if that's still on track but at least under construction.

Given there may still be part time home work for a while and many won't live on campus, still potentially less office time. They might need to consider 60-65% labs and 35-40% office to start with until understanding how the remote work dust settles as they are apparently doing spec building using bonds, so there appears to be a risk for the City. Lab space is in demand, not as much office and labs generally require onsite workers.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Have signed up any tenants yet?