OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:43 pm Neighborhood retail might look a lot different in 10 years. It might be more things you can't get delivered to you--mostly services: animal hospitals, more hair and nail salons, massage/spas, yoga studios; various forms of health care: dermatologists, dentists, urgent care clinics, Mailboxes Plus, etc.
Overall I would agree that services involving touching will stick around but not necessarily with a large storefront.

That list doesn't mean you can't downsize those services and need less space. Telemedicine would work especially well for senior care where the main goal is to validate medication success.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Walnut is about to be a bigger mess. H&R will be shutting down the southbound lane for construction staging between 13th and 14th. This could last 3 weeks for a “major” project. Anyone know what the project is?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Maybe they are finally giving me a new LED Display. I thought it was completely dead but there were some signs of life this weekend
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:16 pm Maybe they are finally giving me a new LED Display. I thought it was completely dead but there were some signs of life this weekend
That would be a nice return to the skyline.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

We now have a carnival on Grand. Rerouting buses 2 whole days before it even is open to the pubic this weekend. We still can't get signs upstream alerting people on Grand to reroute.

Great coprogramming. Bocelli and a carnival.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Our long-standing dream to have a Ferris wheel downtown has been realized!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:09 pm We now have a carnival on Grand. Rerouting buses 2 whole days before it even is open to the pubic this weekend. We still can't get signs upstream alerting people on Grand to reroute.

The barriers were likely from a subcontractor who only gets paid if they get them up in time for the carnival company to put their rides up who only gets paid if they get them up and tested before operations need to begin.

There's clear financial incentives to stretch the timeline out as long as possible.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:09 pm We now have a carnival on Grand. Rerouting buses 2 whole days before it even is open to the pubic this weekend. We still can't get signs upstream alerting people on Grand to reroute.

I'm not sure who the responsibility falls on to put signs further up Grand but obviously these events are planned far in advance. They can't wait around and hope T-Mobile doesn't book a show on the same date they plan a massive fall festival.

I just left there, it's a big setup and the carnival needed two days to setup before opening to the public Friday. This isn't normal but was done because everyone is so short on staffing, more time was needed.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:55 am Our long-standing dream to have a Ferris wheel downtown has been realized!
Would be cool to have a massive one permanently installed on the freeway cap one day!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Why not use the lot directly north of tmobile. This is honestly getting to the point of mocking the neighborhood.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Signage should be the responsibility of those closing the street.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:24 pm Why not use the lot directly north of tmobile. This is honestly getting to the point of mocking the neighborhood.
Because anyone can throw together an event in a parking lot. That's not the kind of urban events they're going for and not to mention Cordish doesn't own or control that lot. I'm guessing the owners would rather take the parking revenue over a substantially reduced rental fee.

How do these events mock the neighborhood? These events are specifically for those living in the neighborhood and also meant to showcase the downtown area.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:25 pm Signage should be the responsibility of those closing the street.
So you expect members of the PNL operations staff to place signs in areas that are outside of their territory? I've never seen this done before, probably for good reason.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:24 pm Why not use the lot directly north of tmobile. This is honestly getting to the point of mocking the neighborhood.
Cordish puts on nice programming that I generally enjoy. Usually free or low-cost to me. It also gets people into the area. I am a fan.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:21 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:25 pm Signage should be the responsibility of those closing the street.
So you expect members of the PNL operations staff to place signs in areas that are outside of their territory? I've never seen this done before, probably for good reason.
Construction companies closing streets are required to put up traffic signs to alert outside of where they are working. Why would this be different? I honestly don't care who does it, it just should be required by the city to do. It just helps relieve congestion that ends up on 13th when people are forced o to it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

normalthings wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:30 pm
Cordish puts on nice programming that I generally enjoy. Usually free or low-cost to me. It also gets people into the area. I am a fan.
I think they do a good job as well. I don't think it's worth allowimg for this much closure that puts delays into on of our main transit corridors. Let's not forget bike lane and just overall used car street.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:20 pm
Because anyone can throw together an event in a parking lot. That's not the kind of urban events they're going for and not to mention Cordish doesn't own or control that lot. I'm guessing the owners would rather take the parking revenue over a substantially reduced rental fee.

How do these events mock the neighborhood? These events are specifically for those living in the neighborhood and also meant to showcase the downtown area.
Country fair rides are for downtown residents?
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:21 pm
Put up permanent variable message boards on Grand a few blocks away at say 10th and 18th - somewhere far enough back to give people options besides Truman.

Check out what Minneapolis has on some of their downtown traffic signal masts: https://goo.gl/maps/1ZPE8XBHcsKVcMf37
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I think that's a great idea.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:50 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:20 pm

Country fair rides are for downtown residents?
A fucking carnival DOWNTOWN! That's cool in my book and I think a large portion of downtown residents will think it's cool that can attend "a country fair" in the heart of a city. Which is kind of the entire point.

You also over dramatize the negative impact on bike lanes, transit lines and car traffic. Yes, it's certainly a concern and not something you want to disrupt on a regular basis but the majority opinion is that these urban festivals are worth the pain. Until we have a large area like the cap, something has to give to make these events possible. If keeping the streets strictly for vehicles is the goal, we'd have a very boring downtown.