OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: We are getting a new airport!!!

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:23 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:18 pm https://thebeacon.media/stories/2021/09 ... ick-fil-a/
KC LGBTQ Commission raising concern about the inclusion of Chick-fil-A in the new airport. A letter was sent to the city on Monday about it.
It's annoying they chose a place that won't be open on Sunday...which is the biggest traveling day of the week..
So true. BWI has Chick fil A and I think it's closed half the times I'm there.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Goonies wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:37 pm That letter should have been sent straight to the shredder. What a joke.
Umm no it’s a perfectly valid thing for them to do.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Riverite wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:54 am
Goonies wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:37 pm That letter should have been sent straight to the shredder. What a joke.
Why are they trying to ban it though? Why can’t they just not patronize the business if it is included in the airport?
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:04 am
Riverite wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:54 am
Why are they trying to ban it though? Why can’t they just not patronize the business if it is included in the airport?
Asking a business to not be included because it’s exclusive is perfectly valid for a public project. This is why businesses shouldn’t be in the politics game.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Riverite wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:07 am Asking a business to not be included because it’s exclusive is perfectly valid for a public project. This is why businesses shouldn’t be in the politics game.
Every business is in the politics game.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:09 am
Riverite wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:07 am Asking a business to not be included because it’s exclusive is perfectly valid for a public project. This is why businesses shouldn’t be in the politics game.
Sure but there’s a difference between campaigning for more tif versus being against marriage equality
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Riverite wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:11 am
Sure but there’s a difference between campaigning for more tif versus being against marriage equality
Most every major corporation has made a political statement around marriage equality. Many, many statements in favor and donations for; Chik-filA donations against.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:48 am
Riverite wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:11 am
Most every major corporation has made a political statement around marriage equality. Many, many statements in favor and donations for; Chik-filA donations against.
Sure but it’s the exclusionary aspect that is problematic. I’m just saying it shouldn’t get public funds. I would also be against a group that used their money to fund getting rid of churches.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Riverite wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:58 am Sure but it’s the exclusionary aspect that is problematic. I’m just saying it shouldn’t get public funds. I would also be against a group that used their money to fund getting rid of churches.
I can understand that. I guess I'd just prefer that if the public wants to take a political stand, they do so by not giving business to companies they disagree with. There have been strong campaigns against Chik-FilA to encourage people not to eat there. They seem to have failed mostly. So, people have made their choice and that is the beauty of a free society. Obviously, there is a demand for the product of Chik-FilA and people that want to eat their food. I agree with your statement mostly that businesses shouldn't be in the politics game. I guess I'd also prefer government not be in the personal donations of business owners business. Just pick the best restaurants and vendors for the airport. Let people make their own personal choices about where they want to spend their money.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Picking a business like CFA for what is ostensibly a public building is an endorsement of sorts IMO. If city hall had a food court with a CFA there would be the same problem
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

CFA is out
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:51 am Picking a business like CFA for what is ostensibly a public building is an endorsement of sorts IMO. If city hall had a food court with a CFA there would be the same problem
CFA and Starbucks are common airport brands
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

normalthings wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:08 am
TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:51 am Picking a business like CFA for what is ostensibly a public building is an endorsement of sorts IMO. If city hall had a food court with a CFA there would be the same problem
CFA and Starbucks are common airport brands
Ok
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Who’s gonna replace Chick Fil A at the airport?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The letter is no more valid than the txt spam
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

If a public facility is standing to benefit financially from an entity that advocates publicly against my right to marry and raise a family then the public has a right to say that entity shouldn't be included. Sure most businesses endorse policies that some people are against, but I would argue that the values of CFA aren't something I want supported by having them at the front door to our city. If someone wants to eat there or support them, go to one of their freestanding restaurants.
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

Totally agree. Their closed on Sunday policy, traditionally a busy travel day, alone is reason to exclude them. How about a Stroud’s?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Major KC Fan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:28 pm Totally agree. Their closed on Sunday policy, traditionally a busy travel day, alone is reason to exclude them. How about a Stroud’s?
You really want Bubba eating fried chicken with his hands at the gate?
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

How about go chicken go or Popeyes or slim chickens I mean there are loads of choices where no one will care
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:28 am
Riverite wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:58 am Sure but it’s the exclusionary aspect that is problematic. I’m just saying it shouldn’t get public funds. I would also be against a group that used their money to fund getting rid of churches.
I can understand that. I guess I'd just prefer that if the public wants to take a political stand, they do so by not giving business to companies they disagree with. There have been strong campaigns against Chik-FilA to encourage people not to eat there. They seem to have failed mostly. So, people have made their choice and that is the beauty of a free society. Obviously, there is a demand for the product of Chik-FilA and people that want to eat their food. I agree with your statement mostly that businesses shouldn't be in the politics game. I guess I'd also prefer government not be in the personal donations of business owners business. Just pick the best restaurants and vendors for the airport. Let people make their own personal choices about where they want to spend their money.
The public has few effective tools to take a political stand as it is, so I figure people should use whatever they've got. It's obvious enough that "personal choices" actually don't amount to anything, only organized actions do, which is why companies prefer to deal with an atomized work force instead of a union, for example. There is nothing stopping you from similarly organizing whatever groups have an interest in getting CFA into the airport -- lovers of shitty fast food chicken, homophobes, whoever else -- to publish a letter of your own. Organizing and telling public entities what you want from them is also one of the beauties of a free society.