5th & Main Southern Corners

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: 5th & Main Southern Corners

Post by KCPowercat »

Wait just remembered, did they change so the parking isn't dumping onto 5th? That is a critical change. It needs to dump onto indy if not block main at 5th and have their traffic go out to walnut.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Agree, that's more important than removing 'the bridge'.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:17 am Wait just remembered, did they change so the parking isn't dumping onto 5th? That is a critical change. It needs to dump onto indy if not block main at 5th and have their traffic go out to walnut.
I just don't think this group is creative enough to have an entrance off Independence unless the city forces them to do so. Admittedly my assumption is that would be expensive to do and involve MoDOT. But agree it would be better. There is no parking entrance on 5th now, and the driveways are pushed to the southern ends of the project along Main.

Stupid question: How does a public garage like this work on a market weekend, logistically? Will someone (city) end up paying a person to stand at the entrance and keep an inventory count, a bit like they do today with the existing surface lots? I'm imagining a line of people taking a ticket to enter the garage only to find the parking is full. With somewhat limited public spots it almost doesn't seem worth it to have open as weekend public parking at least not before say, 2 or 5pm. Thoughts?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Does modot have any jurisdiction over independence ave?

For sure the city would need to force it. Even without an entrance right onto 5th having another garage for people to get in and out of on main pouring onto 5th is dumb.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:55 am Does modot have any jurisdiction over independence ave?

For sure the city would need to force it. Even without an entrance right onto 5th having another garage for people to get in and out of on main pouring onto 5th is dumb.
Not anymore. US-24 designation was removed last year, I think. Obviously they still control the access points to I-70, etc.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:55 am Does modot have any jurisdiction over independence ave?

Council seemed to argue that they are better off with a surface lot than the proposed development with structured parking so I'm not too sure about their will to add cost to this new garage.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

normalthings wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:29 pm

Council seemed to argue that they are better off with a surface lot than the proposed development with structured parking so I'm not too sure about their will to add cost to this new garage.
When did they argue that?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:34 pm

At committee meeting on this last week.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

normalthings wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:16 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:34 pm

At committee meeting on this last week.
Do you by chance recall who was making the argument? Love the argument, but it is a little surprising!
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

normalthings wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:16 pmAt committee meeting on this last week.
Do we get to have context or any additional info?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Land Sale Ordinance Updates:

5/19/2021 Without Recommendation
5/20/2021 Assigned Third Read Calendar as Substituted
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I missed the “without recommendation” discussion at committee. Anything of note?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:48 pm Council approved ordinance 201050: http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/liveweb/Docum ... YBhBngcve5
Looks like it’s just approved by committee and not the full council?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:25 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:48 pm Council approved ordinance 201050: http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/liveweb/Docum ... YBhBngcve5
Looks like it’s just approved by committee and not the full council?
I don't think the clerk has updated it. There was a full council vote during today's legislative session. It was on the agenda.