Infrastructure Stimulus

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Infrastructure Stimulus

Post by DaveKCMO »

Funding was part of the actual poll: https://morningconsult.com/2021/03/31/b ... porations/

grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Gotta love that republican plurality response!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Jeff Bezos came out yesterday in support of higher corporate taxes to pay for the infrastructure plan.

Biden's corporate tax hikes would still be less than what they were under Obama and George W. Bush.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:35 am
FangKC wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:52 am Percentages of political support for infrastructure plan.

I think you find the bigger discrepancy when it comes to agreeing how to pay for these things. That’s obviously when the big split between dems and republicans starts to widen.
Increases in spending under Trump made no attempt to pay for as we go, instead borrowed money. In addition, during this increase in spending, he cut the federal revenue stream with tax cuts for the wealthy.

At least Biden is making an attempt to pay for things as we go with increasing some taxes.

I've been talking to people about this, and the consensus seems to be that many taxpayers don't mind the increased spending and higher taxes if the money is spent inside the USA, and not fighting and financing expensive foreign wars.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

FangKC wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:34 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:35 am
FangKC wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:52 am Percentages of political support for infrastructure plan.

I think you find the bigger discrepancy when it comes to agreeing how to pay for these things. That’s obviously when the big split between dems and republicans starts to widen.
Increases in spending under Trump made no attempt to pay for as we go, instead borrowed money. In addition, during this increase in spending, he cut the federal revenue stream with tax cuts for the wealthy.

At least Biden is making an attempt to pay for things as we go with increasing some taxes.

I've been talking to people about this, and the consensus seems to be that many taxpayers don't mind the increased spending and higher taxes if the money is spent inside the USA, and not fighting and financing expensive foreign wars.
Do those people think that only big companies would be paying more taxes and that their personal finances won’t be impacted?

I think many people are cool with taxing corporations to pay for things but they don’t realize that those higher taxes eventually impact the middle class.

I am all about not spending money on foreign wars but at the same time, not reducing the military budget drastically.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Tax me then, I can't take money with me after death & personal wealth is pointless. Future generations deserve a great infrastructure to pop into. We keep venerating the Greatest Gen & stuff without doing all the self sacrifice of previous generations.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:34 pm Tax me then, I can't take money with me after death & personal wealth is pointless. Future generations deserve a great infrastructure to pop into. We keep venerating the Greatest Gen & stuff without doing all the self sacrifice of previous generations.
Speak for yourself! I don’t mind paying my fair share in taxes and don’t think I have to agree or approve how every penny is spent but I’ve got several years left in the workforce and can never save enough for my own two daughters future. I want a easier life for them and other future adults but I think our government continues to prove they’re terrible with money management. So at least for my kid’s, my personal/family wealth has a very important point.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

I'm 31, my parents tried to save for us too, all wiped out through various recessions & stuff. 9/11 wrecked our hope, 2008 ruined our chances, COVID just dug the knife in deep. We will never get the chance to buy a home or anything at this rate, & it's no fault of our families but of banking & choices made by the 2000s White House, which oh look.

The millennials are now the biggest generational group & we're permanently priced out of homebuying unless our families were wealthy or got rich off of something else. The middle class is shot & everyone is still dogging in on taxes. So good luck to your kids, maybe there will be chances to buy homes one day but it isn't looking too shiny based off the already well into adulthood & entering middle age millennials & the now becoming adult zoomers. Good luck.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Most of the wealth in this country is controlled by a small percentage of Americans.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:41 pm I'm 31, my parents tried to save for us too, all wiped out through various recessions & stuff. 9/11 wrecked our hope, 2008 ruined our chances, COVID just dug the knife in deep. We will never get the chance to buy a home or anything at this rate, & it's no fault of our families but of banking & choices made by the 2000s White House, which oh look.

The millennials are now the biggest generational group & we're permanently priced out of homebuying unless our families were wealthy or got rich off of something else. The middle class is shot & everyone is still dogging in on taxes. So good luck to your kids, maybe there will be chances to buy homes one day but it isn't looking too shiny based off the already well into adulthood & entering middle age millennials & the now becoming adult zoomers. Good luck.
I understand what you’re saying but I also know dozens of everyday barely middle class millennials who have purchased homes. I think many people in our age group have a sense of entitlement or they want a home beyond their means. They want to skip the starter home and go straight to the 4 bed, 3 bath home.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:01 pmI understand what you’re saying but I also know dozens of everyday barely middle class millennials who have purchased homes. I think many people in our age group have a sense of entitlement or they want a home beyond their means. They want to skip the starter home and go straight to the 4 bed, 3 bath home.
You must live on Mars
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

My friends, family, friends of friends, all can't afford even the simplest one bed/one bath. I wish you knew the struggle, seeing stuff like this just continues the drain on hope.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

My son is 25. just bought a house out by the stadium for 120k, fine shape, needed a little work.

3 bed 2 bath raised ranch, great starter home.

Just did a Zillow search and I see 87 homes, 3 bed 2 bath minimum, for sale under $150k. Max payment on a 30 year would be $800 a month.

All homes under 150k numbered over 800.

All my nephews and cousins that are millennials and younger have homes and none of them are high earning professionals. I could also name 6 of my son's friends that have bought houses in the area. None of them are children of wealthy family's.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:10 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:01 pmI understand what you’re saying but I also know dozens of everyday barely middle class millennials who have purchased homes. I think many people in our age group have a sense of entitlement or they want a home beyond their means. They want to skip the starter home and go straight to the 4 bed, 3 bath home.
You must live on Mars
Nope, right here on earth but the fact you think I’m the one on Mars is insightful.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

shinatoo wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:01 am My son is 25. just bought a house out by the stadium for 120k, fine shape, needed a little work.

3 bed 2 bath raised ranch, great starter home.

Just did a Zillow search and I see 87 homes, 3 bed 2 bath minimum, for sale under $150k. Max payment on a 30 year would be $800 a month.

All homes under 150k numbered over 800.

All my nephews and cousins that are millennials and younger have homes and none of them are high earning professionals. I could also name 6 of my son's friends that have bought houses in the area. None of them are children of wealthy family's.
Exactly. It’s possible if people understand their means. Sure, we have problems in this country with personal finances like the idea you basically have to go into debt to build credit. However the idea most working class folks simply can’t afford a home isn’t accurate and plays into victimhood.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Who even needs studies or statistics when you have anecdotes?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

phuqueue wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:46 am Who even needs studies or statistics when you have anecdotes?
Just talking about Kansas City. I understand my statement was anecdotal, but it was also factual. KC is a different animal than large swaths of our country. In fact there is plenty of affordable housing in most midwestern cities.

However that affordable housing stock in the midwest is starting to drop in quantity and go up in price because it's being bought up by millennials. Which is going to create a simmilar issue in the midwest for Gen Z that millennials are felling on the coast. I don't know how we are going to solve that issue since you can't build a 1500sft house in KC for less than 250k. And probably higher now because of covid related lumber shortages, and building material shortages in general.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

shinatoo wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:15 am
phuqueue wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:46 am Who even needs studies or statistics when you have anecdotes?
I don't know how we are going to solve that issue since you can't build a 1500sft house in KC for less than 250k. And probably higher now because of covid related lumber shortages, and building material shortages in general.
By making it easier to build, promoting infill, and building sprawl at 1900s density levels. Cutting transpo costs by reducing car ownership would open up funds for housing.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

normalthings wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:40 am
shinatoo wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:15 am
I don't know how we are going to solve that issue since you can't build a 1500sft house in KC for less than 250k. And probably higher now because of covid related lumber shortages, and building material shortages in general.
By making it easier to build, promoting infill, and building sprawl at 1900s density levels. Cutting transpo costs by reducing car ownership would open up funds for housing.
OK, But this is what a 1500 infill new house looks like now. 3 bed 2.5 baths, $450k

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 2714-38703

In the next ten years this attainable Raytown house at 150k 3b 2bath. is going to be 300k. Two earner household making 60k combined isn't even going to be able to sniff that. https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 2714-38703
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Yeah, because anecdotal evidence isn't relevant. SMH

I'm talking about the FACTS I personally know. I don't disagree there are issues with wages not keeping pace with home prices but 66% of americans own a home, so spare me with the concept it's not possible. Let's be honest here and admit many millennials want the big 350K house when they really have a 225k budget.

Edit: Technically, I'm a millennial, so I'm not old guy bitching here.