Office project at 27th & Main

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Office project at 27th & Main

Post by FangKC »

mykn wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:59 pm
im2kull wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:42 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:45 am I think your missing the point here with your trollish flippant comment. Development teams aren't out for the neighborhood's best interest.
Then create one that is and quit complaining about an entity that you have NO controlling interest in doing things that you don't "like".
That’s literally the point of this entire website, complaining about things we have no control over.
There are things we have affected though. I will remind everyone on this board when the Empire Theater (now Mainstreet) was going to be demolished, many on this board emailed, wrote, called City leaders, the media, and summoned their friends and networks to put a stop to it. I know this because I met with then council member Becky Nace over that issue. She told me it was local media attention and public outcry that got the Council to intervene quickly, and stopped Executive Hills from proceeding. The fences were already up, and demolition equipment were parked on-site. Nace introduced the emergency ordinance that stopped it.

It was also the same for the President Hotel. Ron Jury said as much. Jury indicated there were powerful forces trying to block his redevelopment of the President Hotel. Public support saved it. I believe our combined voice also helped save the Cosby Hotel.

The same is true for that ill-fated plan for the Balcony Building demolition on the Plaza by Highwoods for the Polsinelli law firm.

Keep in mind that some of the media coverage of development and preservation issues comes from reporters who read this forum.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:31 pm Back to topic.

VanTrust is the developer, per KCBJ.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... trust.html
Some things in this that I found interesting, and notable, is...
- Pei Cobb Freed and Partners is the lead architect.
- Work could start in April 2022 and wrap up in February 2024.

I don't think those have been mentioned on here yet.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Henry Cobb of Pei, Cobb, et. al was the architect for 2600 Grand, the building just to the north of this. I find it interesting that there is an empty lot between 2600 and the lot 27th & Main is slated for. It looks like it would be about the right size for this building. In addition, 2600 Grand has a circular drive on the south that appears to match the circular drive on the north of 27th and Grand. Perhaps 27th/Main was originally designed for that parcel. Much better fit, isn't it? Just eyeballing this stuff.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

im2kull wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:42 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:45 am I think your missing the point here with your trollish flippant comment. Development teams aren't out for the neighborhood's best interest.
Then create one that is and quit complaining about an entity that you have NO controlling interest in doing things that you don't "like".
I don't think you get how society works but your just trolling as always.
kenrbnj
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kenrbnj »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:48 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:31 pm Back to topic.

VanTrust is the developer, per KCBJ.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... trust.html
Some things in this that I found interesting, and notable, is...
- Pei Cobb Freed and Partners is the lead architect.
- Work could start in April 2022 and wrap up in February 2024.

I don't think those have been mentioned on here yet.

Good News. Sound history of development via VanTrust.

Plus those on the North View can get to see the Kenneth Snelson sculpture. It's easy to ignore it; but it is a treasure.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Harry Cobb said of his 2600 bldng and the Fed Reserve that he was trying to frame the Liberty Memorial, not compete with it. Hopefully his firm will continue this philosophy. This firm has done plenty of work in larger cities that is more in line with what we want for the street level. Probably much of the design is the wishes of the lead tenant wanting a Taj Mahal monument set off by grassy lawns. That north lawn in this layout is absurd with the large green space that already exists north of 27th.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Business Journal article seems to confirm a fitness center (which we could see) and a ground floor coffee bar. 6 floors of office above parking. Honestly, I'm not trying to say we don't want development unless it is perfect, but help me understand: Why would we provide incentives for a project like this that simply shuffles some jobs to a highly desirable part of the city?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I guess maybe to prevent them from moving to JoCo.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:24 am I guess maybe to prevent them from moving to JoCo.
To promote an overall increase in office/building space available in our downtown. To increase tax revenues.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

normalthings wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:32 am
moderne wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:24 am I guess maybe to prevent them from moving to JoCo.
To promote an overall increase in office/building space available in our downtown. To increase tax revenues.
31st/Broadway to 27th/Grand is about 3,000 feet so the bang for the buck here seems rather low, particularly if we're building in ways that incentivize driving and inhibit transit usage--on a high frequency transit line.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

This project is lacking
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Seems like the only way KC can get any new building with some height it to build a low-mid rise on top of huge parking structures. 150k sq ft is a relatively small office building. The fed reserve or 2600 grand is probably double or triple the sq ft in the same size structures.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:14 pm Seems like the only way KC can get any new building with some height it to build a low-mid rise on top of huge parking structures. 150k sq ft is a relatively small office building. The fed reserve or 2600 grand is probably double or triple the sq ft in the same size structures.
Seems like alot of office projects in other cities are the same idea. I feel like I see a ton of office over garage in Austin, Nashville, DC, etc
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

normalthings wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:25 pm
GRID wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:14 pm Seems like the only way KC can get any new building with some height it to build a low-mid rise on top of huge parking structures. 150k sq ft is a relatively small office building. The fed reserve or 2600 grand is probably double or triple the sq ft in the same size structures.
Seems like alot of office projects in other cities are the same idea. I feel like I see a ton of office over garage in Austin, Nashville, DC, etc
yeah, but you are more likely to see a much larger tower on top the garage. Maybe it's just how they design it. I just think buildings are ugly when half the tower is a parking structure.

I will say this rendering looks pretty decent though. At least from one side, you can't see the garage. I'm fine with it. I mean, this site needs something of at least 14 stories. Putting a six story office building on an underground garage in that spot would be kind of dumb.

I guess it comes down to how they pull off blending in the garage. That new building in BPV in StL looks silly to me. The garage is bigger than the office building, but the garage is probably needed there being next to the stadium.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Would love to have something like this. Huge garage but 100% screened
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Yeah. I didn't even know that building had an above ground garage under it. Looks good.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Note how the building addresses the corner as well. That's what we're looking for as we building out Crown Center South. Not office park bullshit.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I think this will change. Suburban fear is driving it. You have people that are used to working at Corporate Woods that now have leaders who see the benefit of moving to the city. To offset the fear of those not familiar with the city, they build these drive in/drive out, never leave the building structures. As reputations change and the word gets out that the central district is relatively safe, walkable and fun you will get less fortress buildings.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:30 pm
I think this will change. Suburban fear is driving it. You have people that are used to working at Corporate Woods that now have leaders who see the benefit of moving to the city. To offset the fear of those not familiar with the city, they build these drive in/drive out, never leave the building structures. As reputations change and the word gets out that the central district is relatively safe, walkable and fun you will get less fortress buildings.
Must accommodate the workforce of tomorrow (downtown location+transit) while retaining the workforce of today (plentiful parking). This building has lower parking ratios than others proposed in recent years I believe. Moving in the right direction.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

normalthings wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:39 pm Must accommodate the workforce of tomorrow (downtown location+transit) while retaining the workforce of today (plentiful parking). This building has lower parking ratios than others proposed in recent years I believe. Moving in the right direction.
Took 50 years to abandon the city, will take 50 to build it back. A task worthy of a lifetime.