Office project at 27th & Main

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Office project at 27th & Main

Post by Critical_Mass »

Site plan:

Tough to say, but it looks like the label for the greenspace is 'North Lawn'. There would seem to be space to build something between 27th and the circle drive.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

normalthings wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:37 pm
FangKC wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:19 pm So is the plan to build new structures on both sides of this building in the grassy areas?
I am not sure what they are supposed to do instead of leaving a green space or park. Surface lot?
Build to the sidewalks -- like in other big cities. Push the building to the south--making space for additional buildings on the north of the block.

It just seems our local architects and developers have no experience building in an actual city. Someone needs to import some staff who have that experience.

That V-intersection is prominent. One could design a really nice building utilizing that feature.
watcher64110
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by watcher64110 »

Yuck. Looks like Corporate Woods or something... Probably just tall enough to block the skyline views from 30th and grand area, while making people on the street near the building/streetcar stop feel like aliens who don't belong there. But ...those workers will get a nice view before they head directly home to Leawood in their cars...🙄
Walker
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Walker »

That south lawn looks big enough for a nice condo tower in the future. Could playoff the curved facade on the office's south side. A third building to the north could have a point at its south end giving you the effect of 3 nested buiding.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

A structure more flush with both Grand and Main would be ideal at that location. A great place for a classic Flatiron type building. The spot is wasted on a suburban style building with enormous setbacks.

The sketches shown above are not consistent with the plan view also shown. The plan view shows the building tapering towards the Grand-Main intersection but the sketches show the taper being truncated into a flat face towards the south.
Walker
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Walker »

Highlander wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:05 pm
The sketches shown above are not consistent with the plan view also shown. The plan view shows the building tapering towards the Grand-Main intersection but the sketches show the taper being truncated into a flat face towards the south.
It looks like the building's form changes as it grows taller. You can see the taper in the drawing.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Also the loading dock on Grand is not a feature that encourages walking...not to nitpick
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

smh wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:38 pm Also the loading dock on Grand is not a feature that encourages walking...not to nitpick
Wish the city would add angled parking on Grand around there. Would slow traffic down and would be a big step towards reducing its car sewer status.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

normalthings wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:08 pm
smh wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:38 pm Also the loading dock on Grand is not a feature that encourages walking...not to nitpick
Wish the city would add angled parking on Grand around there. Would slow traffic down and would be a big step towards reducing its car sewer status.
Before we introduce parking, maybe we could put in the missing sidewalk through there. :D
watcher64110
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by watcher64110 »

Union Hill pedestrians headed for the streetcar stop on 27th out would exit to Grand at Warwick... right by garage entrance and loading deck and will need to cross the street and also walk around this massive structure somehow. Was hoping they would build a structure a little more resident friendly.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Critical_Mass wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:07 pm Site plan:

Tough to say, but it looks like the label for the greenspace is 'North Lawn'. There would seem to be space to build something between 27th and the circle drive.
That's kinda low res. Where did you snap that? Link?
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Cityscene article was updated with it
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

Any developer or architecture firm that designs a parking garage with a curved/non-rectilinear layout and then asks for incentives should be laughed out of the room.
kenrbnj
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kenrbnj »

Here's to the developer recognizing this block was always intended for an iconic structure (per Hallmark).

The property is prominent from all angles. This project appears further along than most proposals; the architecture proposed for the building was certainly tailored to the space.

Whomever is committed to this space (FSLI) will be treated to a heck of a view.

Damn, I wish I kept that house on Union Hill.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

The building looks good and has some interesting curves. Attempts to front Main and has groundfloor tenant space. Massive improvement over the hay field that's been there for decades. Not perfect but its far better than the existing condition so who cares. Lets get it built.

Were there ever any plans for a second Federal Reserve tower?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

So far, I like it. Looking forward to seeing more renderings/perspectives of this soon to get answers on things that I’m wondering about.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Folks the ground floor along Main has a tenant lounge and fitness lounge + parking. What are you all seeing that I am not?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

The plan doesn't say lounge, it's listing the GSF of each "room." 2 lettable ground floor spaces. 3 if it's a public gym. Its big enough that I could see it being a public gym buy who knows.
Last edited by normalthings on Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

smh wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:32 pm Folks the ground floor along Main has a tenant lounge and fitness lounge + parking. What are you all seeing that I am not?
See above
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

normalthings wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:37 pm
smh wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:32 pm Folks the ground floor along Main has a tenant lounge and fitness lounge + parking. What are you all seeing that I am not?
See above
I stand corrected!