Tracks 215 Project

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Tracks 215 Project

Post by DaveKCMO »

Good catch. I'll ask if they've run into problems heading west from here, which would explain that shift to the existing sidewalk area rather than along the railroad tracks.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:35 pm We will see more refined renderings soon enough. These look like a way to establish a basic massing.

Rendering observations: The Podium project is rendered as well as the widely talked about "Green Line". I notice that the Green Line switches over to 22nd Street at the Pedestrian Bridge
You forgot to mention the iconic SketchUp orbit tool icon! I am hoping that the Podium side moves forward quickly. Interesting that it is included in Helix's model for this project.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:58 pm Good catch. I'll ask if they've run into problems heading west from here, which would explain that shift to the existing sidewalk area rather than along the railroad tracks.
Maybe the move of the Green Line is to be a selling point for the walk-up style units on 22nd Street. I imagine that marketing could be "these units are along the Green Line pedestrian trail, connecting you to restaurants, shops, job centers and more". That could be a good selling point.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:06 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:58 pm Good catch. I'll ask if they've run into problems heading west from here, which would explain that shift to the existing sidewalk area rather than along the railroad tracks.
Maybe the move of the Green Line is to be a selling point for the walk-up style units on 22nd Street. I imagine that marketing could be "these units are along the Green Line pedestrian trail, connecting you to restaurants, shops, job centers and more". That could be a good selling point.
Greenline will front the tracks within the Freight House property.

-------------------------------

The school district and TIF were all over this change to the project ("adding more units" by reducing the average unit size and the 19 new units along 22nd street). They are soo against changing the project for the better. The level of anti-development sentiment is troubling to say the least.
Last edited by normalthings on Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

normalthings wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:53 pmGreenline will front the tracks within the Freight House property.

The school district and TIF were all over this change to the project. They are soo against changing the project for the better. The level of anti-development sentiment is troubling to say the least.
I don't follow
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I sincerely doubt the KCPS had an official opinion about the location of the trail. I will find out from the source.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:39 pm I sincerely doubt the KCPS had an official opinion about the location of the trail. I will find out from the source.
Not the trail. The change to "add" units by making them smaller and adding units along the street which was not included in the original Tracks 215 plan.
Last edited by normalthings on Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

normalthings wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:38 pmNot the trail. The change to "add" units by making them smaller and adding units along the street.
I’m still confused. Are there not units along the street in the renderings? And what are your sources?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

It may have been mentioned in a Zoom meeting, of which I have access too. Unsure about Normal Things. I'll have to watch and listen carefully.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Public meeting scheduled for March 29th at 6 PM

https://zoom.us/j/95000342917?pwd=a0ZLd ... cxU3kwQT09
(ID: 95000342917, passcode: 313077)

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... ttachments
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:34 pm Public meeting scheduled for March 29th at 6 PM

https://zoom.us/j/95000342917?pwd=a0ZLd ... cxU3kwQT09
(ID: 95000342917, passcode: 313077)

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... ttachments
This meeting was tonight. Not many attendees. According to a guy speaking, the metal over the front entrance will be perforated so that it glows at night. In addition to that, an emphasis on having the building designed to match the neighborhood was made often. New rendering and other stuff...
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Left the trash receptacles right at the front entrance where everyone will be walking into their building. smh.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Someone needs to call a meeting in front of those when the weather starts warming up.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:15 pm Left the trash receptacles right at the front entrance where everyone will be walking into their building. smh.
The "receptacle" on the TRACKS property is a KCPL transformer. The architect said that it and the attached line feeds much of the neighorhood and is not feasible to move.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

normalthings wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:53 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:15 pm Left the trash receptacles right at the front entrance where everyone will be walking into their building. smh.
The "receptacle" on the TRACKS property is a KCPL transformer. The architect said that it and the attached line feeds much of the neighorhood and is not feasible to move.
Looks like they are screening it and turning it into a signage element. Pretty clever!
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

normalthings wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:53 pm
The trash for the Jack Stack restaurant is right there though.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

And it's not on the property they can modify. Hard to blame them for not removing it.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

If you have a problem with smelly trash, cities probably aren’t for you
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I like this project and as somebody that loves trains, it would be cool to have a place overlooking some of the busiest freight tracks in the country.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Project is good news for stormwater management, too -- the exposed amenities will absorb some, in addition to the larger street tree wells and required underground retention.