OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Transportation topics in KC
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: New Broadway Bridge

Post by FangKC »

moderne wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:35 am For thousands of years up until modern times all of Egypt went under water once a year. Even as recently as the 1960's residents of Cairo had to wade through water all across the city every summer.
Let's all live in houseboats!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:02 pm
moderne wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:35 am For thousands of years up until modern times all of Egypt went under water once a year. Even as recently as the 1960's residents of Cairo had to wade through water all across the city every summer.
I would do a house boat on the Plaza if it was an option
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

On Flush Creek?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

There was a rather significant house boat community on the blue river back around the turn of the century.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:06 pm
There was a rather significant house boat community on the blue river back around the turn of the century.
I don't remember that at all.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Turn of the LAST century
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Houseboats Once Thrived on the Blue River
Flood Control Efforts Replaced Floating Community

https://www.flatlandkc.org/curiouskc/qu ... lue-river/
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

FangKC wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:45 am

Houseboats Once Thrived on the Blue River
Flood Control Efforts Replaced Floating Community

https://www.flatlandkc.org/curiouskc/qu ... lue-river/
Thanks for the link fang! I was too lazy to find it :lol:
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There is a period drama in there somewhere.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/bu ... zvotO3Ncjk

This is a horrible project as proposed. All it does is create a faster way to bypass downtown while removing part of downtown in the process. I don't understand why anyone would see this as a good thing? Very much a 1950's - 1960's mentality. KC needs to be thinking about removing the chokehold that highways have on it's downtown not adding an Olathe-ish interchange to the only corner of downtown that doesn't already have one.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Highlander wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:00 pm https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/bu ... zvotO3Ncjk

This is a horrible project as proposed. All it does is create a faster way to bypass downtown while removing part of downtown in the process. I don't understand why anyone would see this as a good thing? Very much a 1950's - 1960's mentality. KC needs to be thinking about removing the chokehold that highways have on it's downtown not adding an Olathe-ish interchange to the only corner of downtown that doesn't already have one.
Nice to see somebody with some common sense.

The only saving grace to this project is if they somehow kept the old bridge and re-purposed it. But that should have been a given all along in conjunction with a better design for the new bridge. KC acts poor, but is spending like 15-20 million on more freaking soccer fields in metro with massive soccer complexes everywhere. Apparently millions of people from all over the world are going to come to KC to play amateur soccer or something.

Gotta love all these articles saying how important this is to KC's future. They all sound exactly like what all the planners said when the freeway loop and other areas highways were being proposed and built in the 50's.

You would think KC would have an economy the size of Seattle or MSP by now with the already existing freeway miles per capital and lack of traffic delays if all that rhetoric were actually true.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

This thread is like Groundhog Day. Everybody’s said their piece plenty of times over.

Inevitably your opinion of the bridge comes back to whether you believe north loop removal is possible.

Believe north loop removal is possible = the new bridge is a necessary evil
North Loop Removal Skeptic = new bridge is terrible and must be stopped.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

horizons82 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:31 pm This thread is like Groundhog Day. Everybody’s said their piece plenty of times over.

Inevitably your opinion of the bridge comes back to whether you believe north loop removal is possible.

Believe north loop removal is possible = the new bridge is a necessary evil
North Loop Removal Skeptic = new bridge is terrible and must be stopped.
I still do not believe 169 needs to be a through route freeway and actually making it more of a freeway than it already is with high speed ramps is counterproductive to the future of downtown with or without the north loop removal.

169 should be a gateway to "downtown", not a another bypass to avoid downtown for commuters. The city and state should be discouraging through traffic from using 169, not encouraging it them to that route. This is just going to gum up the west loop and southwest corner of the loop when all through traffic should be run along a rebuilt east loop. That's my opinion anyway.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Opinions are great and I don’t disagree completely, but we have to work with what the feds and modot give us.

Remember there were only two options:

1) this
2) what we have now

Most people think allowing the chance for removal of the north loop is more important
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

This gets us to removing the north loop. That's the bottom line for me. That's it. Bottom line.

There is no total loop rebuild on the table. This is an improvement for our neighborhood. Even those in our neighborhood don't agree so I appreciate the differing opinions on this one.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:25 am This gets us to removing the north loop. That's the bottom line for me. That's it. Bottom line.

There is no total loop rebuild on the table. This is an improvement for our neighborhood. Even those in our neighborhood don't agree so I appreciate the differing opinions on this one.
Is the north loop removal even a serious topic of discussion at this point? I think there are a lot of downsides og this project and destroying the River Market footprint west of Broadway would be the biggest.

So if the Loop is removed, does that mean the end of the Intercity Viaduct? That highway seems seldom used anymore.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Port KC Board Meeting tonight said they are in discussions with US DOT about their new infrastructure programs (i think that is port+transit+highway removal). They also mentioned their ability and willingness the take on ROW/land that gets reclaimed from MODOT.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Highlander wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:06 pm So if the Loop is removed, does that mean the end of the Intercity Viaduct? That highway seems seldom used anymore.

The viaduct predates the loop.

That highway (WB) was closed for over two years. It wasn't being used by design.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Do we think that if this wasn’t already named after Buck O’Neil that there would be a mad scramble to get federal dollars for an iconic bridge to be named after Hawley or Cleaver?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Cleaver was a leader in bringing back earmarks, so he would probably be the winner. If it were named after Hawley it would probably be burned down.