Rankings, lists, and such

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Rankings, lists, and such

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I think this is the right thread to put this into.

After running the numbers of apartments planned or underway in the City of St. Louis (7,048 from 59 projects), I decided to see what I could find in KC. My findings utilized this Forum and CityScene KC for numbers. I'm sure some things are off, and I know I'm missing a lot, but the City of Kansas City is doing really well (in my view). Here's the list...
1. Edison (Faultless site): 228 - Planned
2. Freight House Village: 230 - Planned
3. West Bottoms Flats/Abernathy Phase 2: 90 - Planned
4. Defeo Tower (3rd and Oak): 235 - Planned
5. Bell Haus: UNDEFINED - Planned
6. Muehlebach: 117 - Planned
7. Continental Apartments (Mark Twain Tower): 222 - Pending Start
8. 1532 Grand: 20 - On Hold
9. Tracks 215: 203 - Planned
10. Alle: UNDEFINED - Planned
11. Scarritt: 126 - Planned
12. Ashland: 87 - Pending Start
13. Atlas 303: 76 - Pending Start
14. *5th and Main Northwest: 300 - Planned*
15. 5th and Main South: 189 - Planned
16. 3rd and Grand: 250 - Planned
17. Yards Phase 2: 240 - Planned
18. Shipping Container Apartments: 48 - Planned
19. Oddo Development @ 20th and Walnut: UNDEFINED - Unknown Status
20. Three Light: 288 - Pending Start
21. Midland Lofts: 117 - Pending Start
22. Katz on Main: 192 - Planned
23. Converge KC (Uptown Lofts Phase 1): 213 - Underway
24. Uptown Lofts Phase 2: 84 - Planned
25. Troost and Armour Corners: 340 - Pending Start
26. MAC’s Mainland: UNDEFINED - Planned
27. Robert’s Building: 54 - Planned
28. One Nine Vine: 80 - Planned
29. Troost Village: 149 - Planned
30. Midtown Plaza: 106 - Underway
31. Levy at Martini Corner: 163 - Planned
32. 27th and Troost: 26 - Planned
33. 31st and Troost: 51 - Planned
34. 45th and Troost: 100 - Planned
35. Armory Block: 80 - Planned
36. 520 East Armour: 110 - Nearing Completion
37. West Plaza Flats: 104 - Underway
38. Waldo Ice House: 44 - Nearing Completion
39. Core @ Riverfront Park: 353 - Underway
40. Heritage Lofts @ Riverfront Park: 124 - Planned
41. EPEC @ Riverfront Park: 40 - Planned
42. Flats at Ironside (Riverfront): 75 - Planned/Dead?
43. OPUS Briarcliff: 256 - Planned
TOTAL: 5,810

Of these 43 projects, 4 do not have numbers connected to them yet. I have those projects in bold. So in reality, well over 6000 apartments are planned or underway in the City limits. Although, I personally believe the number to be closer to 7000 as I didn't find/pursue other projects that were surely revealed and still in the works. I also understand that some of these projects could be dead or on hold indefinitely, so that could change the count too.

* and italics: A winning plan for 5th and Main Northwest hasn't been publicly announced, but I believe the Flaherty and Collins project will pull through, which is why it's featured.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Hardesty Renaissance, Arnold Development, 5401 Independence Ave.(at Hardesty), 352 apartments. Renovation of former Bella Hess warehouse.

TOTAL: 6,162
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:35 pm Hardesty Renaissance, Arnold Development, 5401 Independence Ave.(at Hardesty), 352 apartments. Renovation of former Bella Hess warehouse.

Four Light - 300
West Plaza Flats is 350 if you consider they will be leasing beds.
SouthVine Movement plans 100 houses plus multi-family.

UMKC has/had a 400-800 bed project in the works but it has yet to be seen if that will end up as traditional dorms or apartments like 51 Brookside.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

normalthings wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:45 am
FangKC wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:35 pm Hardesty Renaissance, Arnold Development, 5401 Independence Ave.(at Hardesty), 352 apartments. Renovation of former Bella Hess warehouse.

Four Light - 300
West Plaza Flats is 350 if you consider they will be leasing beds.
SouthVine Movement plans 100 houses plus multi-family.

UMKC has/had a 400-800 bed project in the works but it has yet to be seen if that will end up as traditional dorms or apartments like 51 Brookside.
I'm always cautious of counting "beds" as "units" as they're within individual apartment units, but could be rented out individually. It's that reason why something like West Plaza Flats remains as a "unit count" instead of "bed count". It also brings more consistency across the board when counting everything up.

In the event UMKC goes for a similar option to West Bottoms Flats, the number of units would be posted instead of the amount of beds for the sake of consistency.

Like my St. Louis list, single family homes are not included on the lists since there's so many of them going up all over. Interesting to see what SouthVine comes up with in terms of multi-family housing.

Thanks FangKC for pointing out the Hardesty project. I forgot about that one and yet, it has the most units of any project on my list (for now at least).
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Here are the Berkadia metro multi-family lists for each that might not be accurate with stages, can break out cities....

KC - Metro Construction: 3.2K, Planned: 10.7K, Prospective: 15K units
https://www.berkadia.com/wp-content/upl ... imized.pdf

STL - Metro Construction: 1.4K, Planned: 3K, Prospective: 7.9K units
https://www.berkadia.com/wp-content/upl ... imized.pdf
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Here are a few more that come to mind that I didn't see on the list.

Additional phases of Midtown Plaza - there are signs that these could be starting soon. The proposal was for 114 apartments (and 20 townhomes).

Milhaus development on SW corner of Linwood and Troost - 150 units.

Milhaus at The Glade - 263 units. (I think construction may have started already).

Offices at Overlook - 155 units in preliminary phases, up to 850 units total.

Third phase of the Netherlands development - I don't think the number of units has been defined.

Save Inc - 50 units at 31st and Harrison under construction.

25th and Troost - (or is this complete now, hence being left of the list? I know some units are completed, but I think they are still working on the rest). 249 Units.

There is also the first phase of Troost Village that is currently under construction with the conversion of the Shankman building to include 25 units.

Linwood Gardens Apartments - nearing completion. 32 units.

Oglesby Hotel - 25 units.

Brookside Commons - 210 units under construction.

47 Madison - has been delayed quite a bit, but there seem to be signs that it could be coming back (possibly revised) original plan was 247 units.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Westport Terrace - 215 Units on hold/dead/maybe not since 2017-2018, I think the Developer still was saying that this was not completely dead.

Westport High School - 133-unit apartment building + mixed use

Metro North Crossing - 249 apartments, 36 two-story townhomes. Construction underway

Ambassador Office Building Conversion - Foutch project, not sure how many units
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

2600 Independence Avenue (at Prospect), retail building with 15 apartments under construction.

The Rochester on Blue Parkway, 64 market-rate units, 4001 Blue Parkway (announced).

Marlborough School redevelopment, 1300 E. 75th Street, Prairie Fire Development Group, 55 units.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

2020 housing permits, single and multi-family by metro (spreadsheet)...
https://www.census.gov/construction/bps ... 202099.xls

And Jan 2021...
https://www.census.gov/construction/bps ... 202101.xls
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Thanks everyone for sharing projects I missed. With all those projects added in, the number in the City Limits of Kansas City is up to 9,511 (actual number varies because some projects are undefined).

Still though, a great number.

Mapping these out in the original city limits of KC (which Google said is about 61 square miles, to compare to the City of St. Louis's 63 square miles more fairly), there are at least 8,391 apartments planned or underway in the original city limits with an undefined amount planned as a result of 6 projects (60 total projects).

To say it again, the City of St. Louis has 7,075 apartments planned or underway in the city limits in 59 different projects.

Good job KC. Hopefully more come.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Thanks for the insight, really fascinating to learn!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

With rising construction costs, might not see many projects make a move until next year or whenever supply chain issues improve.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

earthling wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:52 am With rising construction costs, might not see many projects make a move until next year or whenever supply chain issues improve.
I just bought 2 pieces of black steel pipe and it cost twice as much as it did 6 weeks ago.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

earthling wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:40 pm ^KC metro has often hit top 20 for commercial/multifamily construction starts over last 5+ years and much higher per capita...

The above was first half of 2020, below is all of 2020. KC climbed up a notch.

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Ran across this 2018 large report on city innovation/talent...
https://forwardcities.org/old/wp-conten ... ls-1.0.pdf

KC ranks higher than might be expected for college grads, creative professionals, young pros, venture capital, public wifi and not surprisingly low for cultural variety, foreign born mix.

KC's patents also increased early last decade, more than similar sized and some larger markets that have research universities but apparently dropping again based on above report. Click on View Map...
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/PATENTCBSA128140
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Midwest housing permits up to March, sorted by Total YTD March 2021..
https://www.nahb.org/news-and-economics ... Metro-Area
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

This article shows KC as #1 for rental increases of a Nw bedroom apartments and #9 for two bedroom last year. https://www.apartmentguide.com/blog/apa ... nt-report/
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^That's KCMO, not metro BTW. There are probably several factors but given significant property tax increases it's not surprising that's passed on to lease rates. If many below avg apts also upgraded, that naturally increases rates for a higher quality product. But curious that KC is #1.

Good problem to have but also need to keep affordable housing in check. KCMO needs a focus to entice upgrading E Side housing with incentives, maintain affordability yet also attract market rate to provide a broader dynamic demographic mix that could also attract more basic services to neighborhoods.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:25 am ^That's KCMO, not metro BTW. There are probably several factors but given significant property tax increases it's not surprising that's passed on to lease rates. If many below avg apts also upgraded, that naturally increases rates for a higher quality product. But curious that KC is #1.

Good problem to have but also need to keep affordable housing in check. KCMO needs a focus to entice upgrading E Side housing with incentives, maintain affordability yet also attract market rate to provide a broader dynamic demographic mix that could also attract more basic services to neighborhoods.
You just described the northland. Not the newer neighborhoods, but the 1950s ones.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

From another thread, KC no longer in Top 25 most segregated metros, becoming much more integrated.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/a ... 88475.html