Politics

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
mykn

Re: Politics

Post by mykn »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:03 pm It appears you don't, because you want Cuomo hung but seem ok with Biden.
I'm sorry, when did I say Tara Reade allegations against Biden should be swept under the rug? Or any of the creepy behavior towards women that he's shown over the years. Or hell, even how he treated Anita Hill and his embarrassing asking for forgiveness from her before starting his campaign. And yes, Bill Clinton also needs to be held account. All abusers must be held accountable for their actions.

You seem to think I'm some liberal, lol fuck the democratic party.
mykn

Post by mykn »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:18 pm
grovester wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:12 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:03 pm
... because you want Cuomo hung but seem ok with Biden.
You are fucking hilarious.

Freshly stoked from CPAC, I'd imagine.

I can only guess how many bots are on your social media feeds.
I'm hilarious? Cuomo's latest accuser is getting attention because he touched her and made her feel uncomfortable. We have dozens of photos of Biden doing the same to..... children. How to do you explain the double standard? I'm not saying Biden is a sexual predator, but creepy perhaps?

What's hilarious is you can't even address the statement, instead you do your regular move, toss out a personal insult and imply I spent last week polishing my guns, waxing my big jacked up truck and drinking busch light while I watched every second of CPAC.

Fuckin clown.
I love how no one was even talking about Biden but you had to redirect. Yes, biden sucks and is a creep as well, fuck him.

You are a bad faith actor. honk honk
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Is there a way to mute an entire channel?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

mykn wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:41 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:03 pm It appears you don't, because you want Cuomo hung but seem ok with Biden.
I'm sorry, when did I say Tara Reade allegations against Biden should be swept under the rug? Or any of the creepy behavior towards women that he's shown over the years. Or hell, even how he treated Anita Hill and his embarrassing asking for forgiveness from her before starting his campaign. And yes, Bill Clinton also needs to be held account. All abusers must be held accountable for their actions.

You seem to think I'm some liberal, lol fuck the democratic party.
That’s the thing. You never say anything on your own, instead you only ever respond to what I say.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

shinatoo wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:08 pm Is there a way to mute an entire channel?
Yes, stay out of the politics forum.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Brett Kavanaugh is bad, Joe Biden is bad, Andrew Cuomo is bad, the New York state Democratic Party is bad, tu quoque arguments are bad, doubting allegations against powerful men is bad, these past couple pages have been bad
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

phuqueue wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:05 pm Brett Kavanaugh is bad, Joe Biden is bad, Andrew Cuomo is bad, the New York state Democratic Party is bad, tu quoque arguments are bad, doubting allegations against powerful men is bad, these past couple pages have been bad
Agree with you, except about the last few pages. I'd rather see activity in here than it sit dormant for weeks in between conversations. Not that the last few pages have been constructive at all.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:18 pm
grovester wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:12 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:03 pm
... because you want Cuomo hung but seem ok with Biden.
You are fucking hilarious.

Freshly stoked from CPAC, I'd imagine.

I can only guess how many bots are on your social media feeds.
I'm hilarious? Cuomo's latest accuser is getting attention because he touched her and made her feel uncomfortable. We have dozens of photos of Biden doing the same to..... children. How to do you explain the double standard? I'm not saying Biden is a sexual predator, but creepy perhaps?

What's hilarious is you can't even address the statement, instead you do your regular move, toss out a personal insult and imply I spent last week polishing my guns, waxing my big jacked up truck and drinking busch light while I watched every second of CPAC.

Fuckin clown.
Fuckin'
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

In a completely unrelated topic shift, it’s been a few weeks since Gina Carano was fired from Mandalorian. What’s everyone’s take? While I found her social media content to be blatantly instigating, I hardly think the justification was there to fire her.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:42 am In a completely unrelated topic shift, it’s been a few weeks since Gina Carano was fired from Mandalorian. What’s everyone’s take? While I found her social media content to be blatantly instigating, I hardly think the justification was there to fire her.
Just another example of the double standards applied based on who you support politically. Pedro Pascal compares Trump supporters to Nazis and that’s cool. Gina Carano says the Nazis turned the people on each other and we shouldn’t hate each other for having different political views and is fired in 38 hours.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:42 am In a completely unrelated topic shift, it’s been a few weeks since Gina Carano was fired from Mandalorian. What’s everyone’s take? While I found her social media content to be blatantly instigating, I hardly think the justification was there to fire her.
I haven't followed it closely but didn't she post pictures in 'character'? That could be an issue if she states opinions along with character that the company doesn't agree with or harms image. And it's common for companies to have HR policies (like not allowed to denigrate people because of their culture) that if not followed, can be let go. We don't know if she also was making such statements within the workplace as well. If she broke the policies, I don't see the issue with letting her go, especially if true she was also posting pics of her Disney-owned character. And not a double standard if others are calling out those who denigrate particular cultures.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

earthling wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:00 am
I haven't followed it closely but didn't she post pictures in 'character'? That could be an issue if she states opinions along with character that the company doesn't agree with or harms image. And it's common for companies to have HR policies (like not allowed to denigrate people because of their culture) that if not followed, can be let go. If she broke the policies, I don't see the issue with letting her go, especially if true she was also posting pics of her Disney-owned character. And not a double standard if others are calling out those who denigrate particular cultures.
She hadn’t posted anything with her in character with the questionable posts. The biggest controversy was people bashing her for not having pronouns in her bio, and she then decided putting beep/bop/boop in her bio. The most recent one to get her fired was a reposted screenshot of a post describing how the Nazi regime dehumanized opposition, most importantly the Jews, in order to allow for their maltreatment, then drew a connection to modern society where people dehumanize others for political beliefs.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

If you're an at-will employee, as the vast majority of us are, companies can terminate your employment for (almost) any reason or no reason at all, and doing something that the company believes publicly reflects badly on it is definitely a reason. My company reminds us all the time, as I'm sure most companies do, to be careful about what we post on social media. People want to treat this as some kind of attack on free expression, but if you work for a private company, the threat that you will be fired for what you post on social media lingers over you constantly. Gina Carano, of course, was not an at-will employee, as an actress she would have had a contract, so her termination means one of a) her actions violated the terms of the contract; b) her actions did not violate the terms of the contract, but Disney was so bothered that they took her off the show even though they're still obliged to pay her (in which case, tiniest violin in the world for the rich person getting paid not to work); or c) Disney declined to renew her expired contract (which of these scenarios it was has probably been publicly reported, but I won't bother to look it up because all roads lead to "I don't care").

A few years ago, that lady who was not wealthy or famous also lost her job that she probably actually needed, unlike Gina Carano, because she flipped off Trump's motorcade and a White House photographer got a picture of it that went viral (actually, she was specifically fired for reposting this already well-publicized photo to her own facebook account, apparently in violation of her company's social media policy against posting "obscenity" -- this could arguably be considered a pretextual firing if she had been otherwise protected from termination, but alas, she was not, just like most of us). So this does, in fact, cut both ways, the mean ol' liberals do lose their jobs over this too.

I guess if you want to have a conversation about all the ways in which we have ceded way too much power to corporations and we fail to adequately protect workers, that would be a good conversation that we should have (in this thread, or like, as a whole society), but if you just want to stand in solidarity with a rich and famous person who lost this one job but will experience no hardship from it because she is, after all, rich and famous, then, well, who cares. This, like most culture war issues that raise hackles on the right, doesn't matter.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

I am taking no stance in this issue from a political side, and I whole heartedly agree that any company has the ability to do what they will in regards to employees and their social media behavior. I’m simply coming at this from the standpoint that, I personally, enjoyed the character in the mandalorian, and was pleased to have StarWars return to somewhat similar roots to what I knew it as growing up. I’m incredibly disappointed solely because this move by Lucas films only serves to hurt the brand, which is struggling to recover from the Disney trilogy
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Then I guess I am not sure why you posted it in the politics thread, but ok
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

phuqueue wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:04 pm Then I guess I am not sure why you posted it in the politics thread, but ok
Wanting to see other takes on it is all :lol:
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

And reroute the thread to less of direct attacking and insulting
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

phuqueue wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:35 pm If you're an at-will employee, as the vast majority of us are, companies can terminate your employment for (almost) any reason or no reason at all, and doing something that the company believes publicly reflects badly on it is definitely a reason. My company reminds us all the time, as I'm sure most companies do, to be careful about what we post on social media. People want to treat this as some kind of attack on free expression, but if you work for a private company, the threat that you will be fired for what you post on social media lingers over you constantly. Gina Carano, of course, was not an at-will employee, as an actress she would have had a contract, so her termination means one of a) her actions violated the terms of the contract; b) her actions did not violate the terms of the contract, but Disney was so bothered that they took her off the show even though they're still obliged to pay her (in which case, tiniest violin in the world for the rich person getting paid not to work); or c) Disney declined to renew her expired contract (which of these scenarios it was has probably been publicly reported, but I won't bother to look it up because all roads lead to "I don't care").

A few years ago, that lady who was not wealthy or famous also lost her job that she probably actually needed, unlike Gina Carano, because she flipped off Trump's motorcade and a White House photographer got a picture of it that went viral (actually, she was specifically fired for reposting this already well-publicized photo to her own facebook account, apparently in violation of her company's social media policy against posting "obscenity" -- this could arguably be considered a pretextual firing if she had been otherwise protected from termination, but alas, she was not, just like most of us). So this does, in fact, cut both ways, the mean ol' liberals do lose their jobs over this too.

I guess if you want to have a conversation about all the ways in which we have ceded way too much power to corporations and we fail to adequately protect workers, that would be a good conversation that we should have (in this thread, or like, as a whole society), but if you just want to stand in solidarity with a rich and famous person who lost this one job but will experience no hardship from it because she is, after all, rich and famous, then, well, who cares. This, like most culture war issues that raise hackles on the right, doesn't matter.
My employer which is a Fortune 500 company repeatedly tells us that if we use Facebook or other social media platforms to make political statements, do not identify yourself as an employee of the company on that platform. Their concern is that if you identify yourself as an employee, it could be construed that you are speaking on behalf of the company. This is part of an ethics and harassment course we have to take annually. I've seen employees engage in political discussions on facebook all the time with no adverse reaction from the company but I have no doubt if one posted swastikas or some other hate symbol on FB and it became known, the company would react.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I don't think there is much argument against her employer firing her or having that right. I just wonder why it's not applied equally across the board. What Pascal posted was far worse IMO. I don't think either one of them did anything offensive enough to deserve firing, but I'm not running a huge company that bends down to public pressure. That's all it takes these days is for some person online with a decent amount of followers to post something asking for a person to be cancelled, it goes viral and the employers hands are tied.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

The standard that is applied equally across the board is: the company you work for will fire you if, in their own judgment, your behavior could negatively impact their business. I don't know who Pedro Pascal is (from a cursory Google search, I guess he's the dude who got his head crushed on Game of Thrones? or maybe I should say he's a dude who got his head crushed on Game of Thrones) or what he posted or what company didn't fire him from whatever show or movie he was working on at the time, but clearly some factor or combination of factors here was different, including, possibly, just that the company was not worried about how this reflected on them the way Disney worried about how Gina Carano's tweets reflected on her. His posts were, in your opinion, "far worse," but your opinion doesn't matter, my opinion doesn't matter, only the opinions of those in the C-suite matter, which is exactly the world Republicans have worked tirelessly to build for decades. So I guess my question is, why is this the one thing where the right suddenly wants to second guess the judgment of private enterprise? I mean, obviously I know the answer already, but I'll pose the question anyway.