OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: We are getting a new airport!!!

Post by beautyfromashes »

Concourse connector is a little shorter and not as grand as I imagined but it all looks very nice. Great for KC.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:21 pm Concourse connector is a little shorter and not as grand as I imagined but it all looks very nice. Great for KC.
I guess the idea is that people will zip through it on their way to/from their gates or retail nodes. I suspect that an adjacent structure could be built to house more seating or f&b as traffic increases.
Last edited by normalthings on Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I didn't think about it before, but the parking garage is going to be a great place to watch planes because there won't be anything between it and most of the airfield.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

flyingember wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:26 pm I didn't think about it before, but the parking garage is going to be a great place to watch planes because there won't be anything between it and most of the airfield.
Actually the middle of the airport it not a great place to watch planes. You will see them in the distance, but the ends of the runways are much better.

KCI doesn't have any dedicated viewing areas and you can't get too close to the ends of the runways. Here, both DCA and BWI have very popular parks right at the ends of primary runways and the parks are tied to regional trail systems.

KCI and the city of KCMO should consider building a park right here and maybe build a trail loop around the airport that connects into the platte county trails system:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kansa ... 94.7170213
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:27 pm
flyingember wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:26 pm I didn't think about it before, but the parking garage is going to be a great place to watch planes because there won't be anything between it and most of the airfield.
Actually the middle of the airport it not a great place to watch planes. You will see them in the distance, but the ends of the runways are much better.

KCI doesn't have any dedicated viewing areas and you can't get too close to the ends of the runways. Here, both DCA and BWI have very popular parks right at the ends of primary runways and the parks are tied to regional trail systems.

KCI and the city of KCMO should consider building a park right here and maybe build a trail loop around the airport that connects into the platte county trails system:
I used to go chill up there some lazy days. I always felt I was doing something wrong!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Airport police is regularly out there running people off. The airport wants as few people as possible probing around the airport gates and fences.

McHenry Park is good for plane watching and will get much better once the new terminal opens.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

normalthings wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:19 pm

Airport police is regularly out there running people off. The airport wants as few people as possible probing around the airport gates and fences.

McHenry Park is good for plane watching and will get much better once the new terminal opens.
Why? BWI has a bike trail that runs feet from the fence around the entire airport and it's full of people all the time. San Diego and many others do too. You don't need five square miles of cow pasture around the airport for safety reasons. Give me a break.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1745449 ... a=!5m1!1e3

Actually livestock and wildlife in general is a much bigger safety problem for KCI than cyclists are at other airports.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

it's true that the airport police in Kansas City are always running people off from there, but definitely not for any good reason as it's actually detrimental to airport security to not have regular plane spotters who can ID and phone the police when they spot somebody irregular hanging out around the gate.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

100% of planes going to the terminal will be within a third of a mile of the garage. You can't say that when picking one end of a runway with three of them.
The last video linked shows one plane taking off being above the terminal height about 0.4 miles away from the garage
The very closest fully public road to the very end of a runway is 0.7 miles away.

Now, clearly not all planes will use the same runway but they're all going to taxi to within a half mile view of the garage. It's just not planes flying.

For a family with a child, they're not going to drive to the end of a runway, they'll walk up the garage for five minutes of viewing. That's what the garage enables. One parent takes the youngest kids outside to go watch planes take off while the other one picks up their checked luggage and meets them at the curb or a group for an event is waiting on their shuttle coming in 30 minutes.
Last edited by flyingember on Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

im2kull wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:59 am
it's true that the airport police in Kansas City are always running people off from there, but definitely not for any good reason as it's actually detrimental to airport security to not have regular plane spotters who can ID and phone the police when they spot somebody irregular hanging out around the gate.
There's a giant logic problem here

the difference between a regular plane spotter and someone brand new to it is how long they've done it.

the difference between someone new to the activity and someone irregular is identified by what? their sketchy white van which you see wires in the back when they open the door?

that's the problem with assuming, people don't match assumptions and security is acting on that they can't identify someone who shouldn't be there based on being "regular" vs not.
Last edited by flyingember on Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

So they can ID "regular" plane spotters how exactly?????
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Like many other aspects of KC gov, what works in other cities isn’t always supported by the mindset of the people who work here. With as large as the airport is and as sparsely populated the surrounding areas are, I do sorta see where they are coming from.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

normalthings wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:12 am

Like many other aspects of KC gov, what works in other cities isn’t always supported by the mindset of the people who work here. With as large as the airport is and as sparsely populated the surrounding areas are, I do sorta see where they are coming from.
All the more reason to use the space for something productive. Jesus, it's no wonder KC can accomplish anything at all. Everything is so damn hard to do there. Well apparently except for building more freeways so nobody ever has to tap on the brakes.

It's a god damn park and a bike trail. No more complicated than that. You even have an existing exit at 152 and could punch Tiffany Springs Parkway through there. City owned flat land, much of which can't be developed.

If somebody wants to get onto airport property, they can easily do that in many other parts of the airport. There is a reason that's not really a problem. Running plane spotters off is just giving bored kci cops something to do.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yes KCI police monitoring land by runway approaches is why kansas city can't accomplish anything.

Take a break my friend.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:19 pm Yes KCI police monitoring land by runway approaches is why kansas city can't accomplish anything.

Take a break my friend.
huh? I didn't say that. What are you talking about. I just simply gave an idea of how to use under utilized city owned land and in come all the reasons why it's impossible, impractical, unaffordable etc.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:53 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:19 pm Yes KCI police monitoring land by runway approaches is why kansas city can't accomplish anything.

Take a break my friend.
huh? I didn't say that. What are you talking about. I just simply gave an idea of how to use under utilized city owned land and in come all the reasons why it's impossible, impractical, unaffordable etc.
City already built a nice park for recreation and plane watching on their land south of the airport gate. Seems like your idea has already been implemented aside from the requirement of being up against the security fence.

“Real” plane spotters have a variety of ways to see things and an official program has been talked about. When special flights happen (unique planes visits including AF1) the police allow the general public to get up against the fence and take photos under their watch. Random people who park next to the security fence in isolated locations are a different story
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Never mind, you are obviously not visioning what I was proposing at all. That's okay. I need to move on haha, been rapid firing posts here lately and wasting a ton of my time. It happens. I post in spurts like that.
Last edited by GRID on Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

We always need a good "kc can't do anything" grid shaming. Lol
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:43 pm We always need a good "kc can't do anything" grid shaming. Lol
I was simply saying that you could build a nice bike path around KCI and build a nice park on the south side of the west runway and really add to the recreational infrastructure of the area. Lots of cities have similar parks/trails at airports and they are very popular. It can be done at relatively low cost. Don't want to entertain the idea? Fine. Don't care. I would never use it. But don't give me lame excuses as to why it can't be done. The only real excuse is money. Maybe if the metro didn't have 5000 miles of highways, it wouldn't be so hard to fund.

The plan for the Broadway bridge on the other hand? That's a hard fail IMO and I'm going to tell you what I think and regretfully watch it unfold from the east coast. Turning that thing into a freeway that won't even function properly because it's a four lane bridge trying to be both a freeway and Broadway.

And not even taking a serious look at re-purposing the Broadway Bridge before now is just another example of how bad KCMO and Modot really are at urban planning. It's bad. Sorry it just is. And somebody needs to be shamed.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

GRID wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:33 pm Turning that thing into a freeway that won't even function properly because it's a four lane bridge trying to be both a freeway and Broadway.
That's what it is today

Should come back to KC, clearly you don't know what things are like on the ground