https://www.flykci.com/media/fwshioga/s ... cation.pdf

Max of $4.50 allowed
https://www.faa.gov/airports/pfc/
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: We are getting a new airport!!!

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:48 pm Yep, it's maxed out.

Application for $4.50 back in 2019
https://www.flykci.com/media/fwshioga/s ... cation.pdf

Max of $4.50 allowed
https://www.faa.gov/airports/pfc/
IIRC, most of the Aviation Departments existing debt roles off the books in 2020-2023. Could open up some wiggle room again but probably not a ton with these lower passenger levels.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The new terminal is looking great. It's certainty a bare bones terminal, but that's fine. It should be a very nice user experience and that's all that matters.

The terminal looks kind of odd being only where terminal A was, but now the airport is set up perfectly for a future second terminal if that is ever warranted.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I know it’s not all we dreamed of, but this is easily the project in kc I’m most excited for. So happy we got it done pre-covid.

I really want to see more interior renderings. My big worry is that it’s going to be too narrow like midway.

I had to fly recently for the first time in awhile so was paying attention. It’s really not how anything looks, but how things feel as you’re moving around. Really hopefully they get the interior right.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:46 pm I know it’s not all we dreamed of, but this is easily the project in kc I’m most excited for. So happy we got it done pre-covid.

I really want to see more interior renderings. My big worry is that it’s going to be too narrow like midway.

I had to fly recently for the first time in awhile so was paying attention. It’s really not how anything looks, but how things feel as you’re moving around. Really hopefully they get the interior right.
Most of the annoyances so far feel like things that can be changed relatively easily in the future. That curtain wall precast isnt hard to replace with glass when the facility is renovated in 2043.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

normalthings wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:49 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:46 pm I know it’s not all we dreamed of, but this is easily the project in kc I’m most excited for. So happy we got it done pre-covid.

Most of the annoyances so far feel like things that can be changed relatively easily in the future. That curtain wall precast isnt hard to replace with glass when the facility is renovated in 2043.
Yeah, I almost made this point. There’s a lot that can be fixed here when we come up for renovations next.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Well what a sad state of affairs. 2.years from opening and already hoping renovations can fix things.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:04 pm Well what a sad state of affairs. 2.years from opening and already hoping renovations can fix things.
Well, it's fixing all the negatives about KCI. But other than that it's basically a boring box attached to another boring box. Fancy boxes don't make a city better though, so I digress.

I look forward to anything that is not the current KCI.

P.S. Does everybody have to cross the street? No tunnels, no skywalks? Buses are all on other side of lanes too? Not so sure about that. See, now you will think I'm complaining again!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

What is being discussed to be renovated seems pretty small just not the discussion I want to be thinking about when I'm still excited about the new terminal. Definitely excited to move past current terminals.

Also annoyed of everyone crossing the street with no truly protected walkways. I'm sure that's an amenity that can be added later as well and lower level will at least be protected from precip.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:27 pm What is being discussed to be renovated seems pretty small just not the discussion I want to be thinking about when I'm still excited about the new terminal. Definitely excited to move past current terminals.

Also annoyed of everyone crossing the street with no truly protected walkways. I'm sure that's an amenity that can be added later as well and lower level will at least be protected from precip.
And even crossing the street will be a major improvement from current KCI where the crosswalks are typically nowhere near the exit doors from the terminals or the bus stops. Then you walk down a narrow raised median and wait for the bus in the elements in the middle of the traffic lanes.

Yeah. The new terminal will be amazing haha.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

the current terminals were first renovated after 30 years. 2043 is laughable
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

GRID wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:21 pm
Well, it's fixing all the negatives about KCI. But other than that it's basically a boring box attached to another boring box. Fancy boxes don't make a city better though, so I digress.
There was a massive push to not replace the airport because a vocal group of people say they don't spend more than 5 minutes inside the terminal

One architectural goal of the airport is to not care what it looks like because you can get in and out so quickly that you don't think twice about what it look like.

Look at Amtrak. Other than the fancy building it's inside their space is so mundane you wouldn't comment on it.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:36 am
I like to think that we will grow fast enough for a renovation and gate expansion within 20 years from now.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

normalthings wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:30 pm
I like to think that we will grow fast enough for a renovation and gate expansion within 20 years from now.
Those are two different things
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

flyingember wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:31 pmThose are two different things
No
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

Orlando International Airport released a video update about the South Terminal Complex currently under construction. Sharing only because it's an interesting comparison with another airport terminal being built right now, although the two markets are very different, of course.

(Aside: Is there any way to embed Youtube videos? Supposedly phpBB supports a [youtube] tag, but I couldn't get it to work.)
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Sani wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:53 pm Orlando International Airport released a video update about the South Terminal Complex currently under construction. Sharing only because it's an interesting comparison with another airport terminal being built right now, although the two markets are very different, of course.

(Aside: Is there any way to embed Youtube videos? Supposedly phpBB supports a [youtube] tag, but I couldn't get it to work.)
IIRC the Orlando intermodal facility has been done for some time. I am excited to try out the plane to intercity train concept in the future. I think the New Orleans New Terminal could be the single best comparison for KC based on the "what we could have had if we didn't lollygag" followed by Indianapolis.

Roanoker was able to imbed a video using IMG and a link to Flickr Video. Supposedly, media and video tags work to link in a video. Maybe we are running an older version of PHPBB?

Edit 1: Further reading makes it sound like the forum admin has to download a plug-in for media content to work. You can even get tweets to show up when linked. The flash code was turned off for KCRAG.

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Arrivals should always be on the top level. Much better experience after a flight I'm sure, but basic airport design always pushes departures to the top level (baggage systems, road capacity etc). Many will at least stagger the levels outside so arrivals is not in a tunnel.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:31 pm
normalthings wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:30 pm

Those are two different things
The new terminal is somewhat modular and designed for easy future upgrades throughout the facility as traffic increases. For example, it is designed for new lounge structures to be built onto the terminal with relative ease as traffic increases. A head house expansion could also be done without too many disruptions. The big lift would be going to anything above 40 gates. I think you could also expand the retail nodes but I don't think its been studied.

The pre-cast to glass replacement is more of want. However, the deliberate choice of curtain wall pre-cast over CIP or CMU opens up the possibility for a relatively easy facade change.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »