Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
smh
Supporter

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by smh »

flyingember wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:26 am
smh wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:59 am Also we always mention landbanking in East Village, but the vast majority of the land is owned by KCMO.
The East Village is 8th to 12th, Cherry to Charlotte. 8 city blocks

The city owns ~2.75 blocks. For well under 1/2 of the land in the district.

No one in the district owns a majority
Block 66 is also the city.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

smh wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:33 am
smh wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:59 am Also we always mention landbanking in East Village, but the vast majority of the land is owned by KCMO.

Only if the city is secretly the full owner of an outside company. They're buying for the project but they own the land and are leasing it to the city

Block 66 LLC
% Van Trust Real Estate, LLC
4900 Main St Ste 400
Kansas City, MO 64112
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

FangKC wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:05 am If the stadium was built in such a way where the base of it under the stands contained retail spaces on all four sides (or three if it's built against the interstate), I think it could possible benefit. The retail businesses would be open all during the year, so there wouldn't be dead blocks and long stretches with no street activity during the day and evening. It couldn't be just one business on each of the four corners either. It would have to be a full-stretch of businesses side-by-side down the block with the stands sitting above the first floor. Of course there would have to be entrances to the stadium at various points. And none of the big wasted plazas unless they can be used in off-times by restaurants for seating.
Generally agree and to put it another way as I've discussed further back in the thread, the ballpark project should really be a much bigger project that just happens to have a ballpark seamlessly merged into it so that it's not an occasionally used event space. Imagine several hirises surrounding the ballpark, with the stands sort of carved into the buildings. Have a lot of public use functions in buildings that face ballpark view... new library branch, perhaps move negro league/royals museums, public recreational uses, etc. Needs hyper open public use focus, not a private island.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

flyingember wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:52 am
smh wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:33 am

Only if the city is secretly the full owner of an outside company. They're buying for the project but they own the land and are leasing it to the city

Block 66 LLC
% Van Trust Real Estate, LLC
4900 Main St Ste 400
Kansas City, MO 64112
Van trust is land banking
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

ULI Hines Finalists were announced this morning. You can view all of the entries at

http://www.uli.org/hines2021gallery

of note: only 6 of 105 entries included a baseball stadium. Though two baseball stadium concepts made it to the finals.
Last edited by smh on Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

smh wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:28 pm ULI Hines Finalists were announced this morning. You can view all of the entries at

uli.org/hines2021gallery

of note: only 6 of 105 entries included a baseball stadium. Though two baseball stadium concepts made it to the finals.
Link isn’t working for me
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I don’t disagree with his comments. It may only be 80 games a year but even with crappy attendance, that can be 1.6 million people downtown a year which is no small feat.

I’d prefer it within walking distance to already established bars and restaurants.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:47 pm
smh wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:28 pm ULI Hines Finalists were announced this morning. You can view all of the entries at

uli.org/hines2021gallery

Should work now
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

smh wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:50 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:47 pm

uli.org/hines2021gallery

Should work now
Proposals include a performa
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

smh wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:50 pm Should work now
Thanks!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:49 pm I don’t disagree with his comments. It may only be 80 games a year but even with crappy attendance, that can be 1.6 million people downtown a year which is no small feat.

I’d prefer it within walking distance to already established bars and restaurants.
Space between east crossroads and 18th & Vine!
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:27 pmSpace between east crossroads and 18th & Vine!
This!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:27 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:49 pm I don’t disagree with his comments. It may only be 80 games a year but even with crappy attendance, that can be 1.6 million people downtown a year which is no small feat.

I’d support that.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Where does the KCATA and school move to? Combined they have the only property big enough to host the stadium without blocking 18th
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:05 pm

Where does the KCATA move to? They have the only property big enough to host the stadium without blocking 18th
Keystone Innovation District seems to think they will be building next to KCATA within a few years as well
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

normalthings wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:05 pm
flyingember wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:05 pm

Where does the KCATA move to? They have the only property big enough to host the stadium without blocking 18th
Keystone Innovation District seems to think they will be building next to KCATA within a few years as well
And that eliminates that part of town entirely. think about what has to be built if it's not put near existing parking and the transit backbone of downtown. its not just 5 blocks of land, it's another 4-5 of parking that would be demanded and a brand new interchange to give better access out of that area
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I think the stadium in that location could really serve as a major catalyst for residential and commercial in the area. What better way to charge high dollar rent then have a view facing the stadium? Plus it could help kick start East Village and create a great urban infill from West to East. Convention Center & Preforming Arts center on the West, T-Mobile Arena in the Middle, and New K on the East. Plus the areas in between, P&L, River Market, and it would benefit Crossroads, especially more development on the East Crossroads south from the stadium. Could again be the catalyst to development along 18th st to connect 18th & Vine to Crossroads. A lot of upside for the stadium to be down there. Plus if the team is really committed to winning you may have a team in the playoffs every year or every other year type of a thing. Then you would have usage From April to the end of OCT
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Downtown ballpark and condos

Post by normalthings »

2021 Downtown Plan

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The actual stadium site leans more to what I've been talking about. Fusing buildings into the stadium. Check out how it appears from street level. I was thinking something more grand than this with taller buildings, broader functions fused into stadium but this is the kind of approach that would prevent stadium from becoming a stand alone island - whether the outer ring buildings happen in this manner or not. Much better urbane approach than other renderings out there but can KC really pull this off w/out a lot of parking garages nearby/underneath as it's not quite close enough to streetcar line.
Last edited by earthling on Thu May 20, 2021 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

earthling wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:19 am The actual stadium site leans more to what I've been talking about. Fusing buildings into the stadium. Check out how it appears from street level. I was thinking something more grand than this with taller buildings fused into stadium but this is the kind of approach that would prevent stadium from becoming a stand alone island - whether the outer ring buildings happen in this manner or not. Much better urbane approach than other renderings out there but can KC really pull this off w/out a lot of parking garages nearby/underneath.
Keeping this urban and not a sea of parking lots and garages will be such a battle. Making it multiuse too.