Transportation topics in KC
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Bike Lanes

Post by flyingember »

taxi wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:59 am
It's my experience that the only people who understand and/or pay attention to the painted markings are other bikers. If it's not a protected lane, bikers are smarter to take streets with less traffic.
The N. Oak shared path has concrete barriers alongside the southermost section at NKC. The barriers have tire marks on the vertical section.

A presentation on protected bike lanes needs to find all the good examples of black streaks on vertical barriers, it sells installing them better than anything.

benjaminkelley
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by benjaminkelley »

Haven't looked in here for a bit. but my $0.02 on why we don't see the bike lanes on grand being used very often, I prefer to bike on Walnut, it's much more pleasant ride. I ride Grand occasionally, but usually only if i need to be at least that extra block east. That being said. I do see it getting used quite a bit. Even on the rare times that I'm on it, i see a couple other folks on it.

Gillham is super nice. I know the city site says they will go a block north and do 31'st to Linwood also. but I couldn't find anything on the city site for south of Armour, including the already completed section. Does anyone know how they are going to connect the south section to the north section? Is it all going on the east side of the park?

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Rode the Gillham lanes from Crossroads to the Nelson on Monday. Nice! Will be even better when they fill in the gaps that will run off the street. Here's a more comprehensive view of the whole corridor: https://bikewalkkc.org/advocacy/gillham ... -projects/

GRID
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by GRID »

DaveKCMO wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:02 pm
Rode the Gillham lanes from Crossroads to the Nelson on Monday. Nice! Will be even better when they fill in the gaps that will run off the street. Here's a more comprehensive view of the whole corridor: https://bikewalkkc.org/advocacy/gillham ... -projects/
This looks like a really nice project. I just checked out Armour on google earth and that looks great and it's nice and lot too, not just a couple of blocks.

normalthings
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by normalthings »

City Manager’s comments on the burn outs and drag races downtown.
I think in general the way to solve this sort of thing is to redesign our streets to make them less drag strips and race tracks and more of neighborhood level streets that have slower speed limits, that are little narrower, that have different types of uses on them.

I’ve noticed there’s a lot of extra lanes everywhere on the streets, Its rare that I’m driving down a street and there are two lanes of traffic I’m driving with and than two lanes on the other side. It’s just so easy to go fast on streets like that.

Doing what we can to narrow those lanes, add bike facilities, add whatever it’s going to be, it could be outdoor seating for restaurants, it could be green space and so many things we could do with the streets that would make it harder to literally have a drag race street or do donuts and cover the street in burnt rubber. I think that’s the long-term fix.

There’s always that enforcement component, but the problem with relying on enforcement is when that enforcement is not there, the unwanted activity can theoretically just return.

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:17 pm
City Manager’s comments on the burn outs and drag races downtown.
I think in general the way to solve this sort of thing is to redesign our streets to make them less drag strips and race tracks and more of neighborhood level streets that have slower speed limits, that are little narrower, that have different types of uses on them.

I’ve noticed there’s a lot of extra lanes everywhere on the streets, Its rare that I’m driving down a street and there are two lanes of traffic I’m driving with and than two lanes on the other side. It’s just so easy to go fast on streets like that.

Doing what we can to narrow those lanes, add bike facilities, add whatever it’s going to be, it could be outdoor seating for restaurants, it could be green space and so many things we could do with the streets that would make it harder to literally have a drag race street or do donuts and cover the street in burnt rubber. I think that’s the long-term fix.

There’s always that enforcement component, but the problem with relying on enforcement is when that enforcement is not there, the unwanted activity can theoretically just return.
Awesome. Where was this? Do you have a link?

normalthings
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:19 pm

Awesome. Where was this? Do you have a link?
Sorry I thought I included it.

https://cityscenekc.com/new-city-manage ... -ballpark/