OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: We are getting a new airport!!!

Post by normalthings »

Team Visits Quarry to Select Materials: #BuildKCI team members recently performed a stone inspection at the Phenix Quarry in southern Missouri. Polished limestone panels will be used as facing material for the west wall of the check-in hall in the New Terminal at
@KCIAirport
@KCIEdgemoor

https://www.buildkci.com/images/team-vi ... materials/
Last edited by normalthings on Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:23 pm Image
Context?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Guess the back wall of the headhouse is going to be limestone. I don't hate that decision and it's not the puke fake beige.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

And locally sourced. A very high grade almost marble limestone from mines north of Springfield that had been abandoned for half a century recently reopened.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah seems like a cool choice. Seems like the public doesn't get much insight into all this. The progress outreach has been pretty poor overall.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:06 pm Yeah seems like a cool choice. Seems like the public doesn't get much insight into all this. The progress outreach has been pretty poor overall.
Use of local limestone for the head house was a choice announced long ago. I think it may even have been in the public open houses. I am 100% sure its been noted in city council presentations since 2018/2019.

August 2018: KZ Biz Journal Article https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... rings.html
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I do remember that but I didn't take that as a final announcement given the level of VE that was expected. For example the fountain mentoned isn't going to be as described.
kipdynamite
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by kipdynamite »

I wonder if the prefab concrete panels are recycled concrete from the old terminal?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kipdynamite wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:48 pm I wonder if the prefab concrete panels are recycled concrete from the old terminal?
Not a chance. Once the cement has cured it's done and can't be separated back into it's original materials.

They probably are using the old concrete for road base material and building up embankments and such.

It's not about making new concrete, it's about transport costs. It's like dirt, you don't buy dirt for a project, you buy the labor to move it. So reusing on site concrete as fill cuts two costs there.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

im2kull wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:54 amBlows my mind that multi-billion dollar projects are using fiberglass insulation these days.. what a waste.

This latest cold snap was perfect karma to that kind of shitty engineering and project scoping.
What are projects like this normally using for insulation in a climate like ours? Serious question, I'm honestly not familiar with the latest insulation techniques.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

im2kull wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:54 am
normalthings wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:26 pm Insulation install.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/BuildKCI/ph ... e_internal
Blows my mind that multi-billion dollar projects are using fiberglass insulation these days.. what a waste.

This latest cold snap was perfect karma to that kind of shitty engineering and project scoping.
Hard to say for certain, as we don’t have up close pics, but that insulation material looks far more like mineral wool than it does standard fiberglass. It wouldn’t surprise me either, as mineral wool is regularly used in commercial applications far more than standard fiberglass.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Or Rock Wool

The picture on this site is a close match to the terminal picture.
https://www.rosewoolinsulation.com/indu ... 05-19.html

What makes me think it's not fiberglass is the lack of fluffiness. The outer edge of fiberglass is always undefined so you don't get a straight edge. But that material has a sharp edge.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

flyingember wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:18 pm Or Rock Wool

The picture on this site is a close match to the terminal picture.
https://www.rosewoolinsulation.com/indu ... 05-19.html

What makes me think it's not fiberglass is the lack of fluffiness. The outer edge of fiberglass is always undefined so you don't get a straight edge. But that material has a sharp edge.
You are definitely correct in that. Those are the same product, same process to manufacture as mineral wool but a different material makeup, both have the same texture though. Regardless, significantly more efficient insulation than residential grade fiberglass for sure
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I can't believe this site is still free!
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Sani wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:43 am
im2kull wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:54 amBlows my mind that multi-billion dollar projects are using fiberglass insulation these days.. what a waste.

What are projects like this normally using for insulation in a climate like ours? Serious question, I'm honestly not familiar with the latest insulation techniques.
Closed cell foam. Typically sprayed in application. Quicker, easier, and thousands of times more effective at the same or lower cost as any vintage product like rock wool or fiberglass.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

im2kull wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:40 am

Closed cell foam. Typically sprayed in application. Quicker, easier, and thousands of times more effective at the same or lower cost as any vintage product like rock wool or fiberglass.
Spray foam definitely isn't easier.

You can teach a 10-year-old how to install battens and if you mess up you remove the batten and put a different one in.

Spray foam requires a large up front preparation to protect outlets and you have to clean up mistakes after it hardens. You need to have some clue how to spray it properly accounting for layering depending on the product.

Even more important, you can't install it below a certain temperature in many cases. Some products it's 40 degrees and above air temperature.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

It's possible they are using both.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I’m sure they know what they’re doing
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

We got ourselves a good old fashion insulation off!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

A FAA rule change in the closing days of the Trump Admin will allow airports to use PFCs to pay for transit lines to them. KCI would be able to contribute to a LRT line to the airport based on % of airport ridership expected to use the line. However, I expect them to be tapped out when it comes to PFCs due to the new terminal. The next big change at FAA will be to increase the PFTs, which like the gas tax, have not increased in over 20 years.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/z3v5j3/ ... ppy-trains