Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by TheLastGentleman »

The north loop one is scary. Looks like the blitz
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anyone have a recording of this meeting?

https://kcstreetcar.org/wp-content/uplo ... 021121.pdf
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:56 pm Anyone have a recording of this meeting?

What would you like to know? I was there as the chair of that committee.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:59 pm
normalthings wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:56 pm Anyone have a recording of this meeting?

Mostly interested in the Riverfront and NKC updates segment.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:02 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:59 pm

Mostly interested in the Riverfront and NKC updates segment.
Most of it has been reported elsewhere, at least for Riverfront: Burns & Mac is doing the next phase of design. Bike/ped access is advancing sooner. Goal is to have Riverfront open around the same time as Main Street extension since the route will operate as a whole. We didn't spend much time on it since it's not as operationally complex.

NKC is creating a streetcar working group and the North Rail study will be revisited: https://twitter.com/bryantd23/status/13 ... 7686718465
1.) Review the 2014 NorthRail extension study
2.) Update cost and revenue projections
3.) Complete an environmental assessment
Yes, I'm part of the working group.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Thanks.

NKC Extension: What is the time frame? Who pays for an environmental study?

UMKC Extension: Are costs and schedules coming in in-line with projections?

Is it just me or does this platform look narrow/cluttered? I feel like you could easily add space by reducing the column footprints and allowing more flow between sides of the platform.

KC Streetcar Station Plaza

STL MetroLink Station CWE (just about completed irl). This new station feels spacy and nice in person. It could just use more seats and flat seats. It also has radiant heating elements that are button-activated. Those are placed away from the seats to prevent loitering in the winter.

More new streetcar renderings: I can't tell which station this is. Maybe UMKC?

Another Plaza rendering taken from the west.

Last edited by normalthings on Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Not sure why there would be a center grass median. It never adds anything visually, nothing grows in them realistically, they require maintenance and encourage dangerous panhandling in busy traffic spaces.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:33 pm NKC Extension: What is the time frame? Who pays for an environmental study?
No time frame yet. Streetcar Authority is proposing to share the cost of the study with the City of NKC.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:39 am Not sure why there would be a center grass median. It never adds anything visually, nothing grows in them realistically, they require maintenance and encourage dangerous panhandling in busy traffic spaces.
I shared that feedback. Good point.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

The latest stimulus bill expected to pass includes $1.25 billion to help cover local matches for FTA Capital Grants .

Sounds like $1 billion for projects with FFGA in FY2019 or 2020 and $250 million any other FFGA recipients (not yet in revenue service) or projects in project development. I think KC would get funds from that second category.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

That would certainly help reduce the city's debt issuance and reduce the overall cost of the project, which includes financing the 30% contingency.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:15 pm That would certainly help reduce the city's debt issuance and reduce the overall cost of the project, which includes financing the 30% contingency.
Is the 30% contingency requirement on the cutting block with the new admin?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Yes. It's an agency/administration thing, not law.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:42 pm Yes. It's an agency/administration thing, not law.
It is my understanding that much of the main street generated $$$ that would have supported east-west lines under Urban Rail 2014 is now going to the 20% in extra contingency on UMKC. If that rule is changed in the next year or so, could those funds be applied to an east-west line? Or is it "too late" in the project life cycle?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:44 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:42 pm Yes. It's an agency/administration thing, not law.
It is my understanding that much of the main street generated $$$ that would have supported east-west lines under Urban Rail 2014 is now going to the 20% in extra contingency on UMKC. If that rule is changed in the next year or so, could those funds be applied to an east-west line? Or is it "too late" in the project life cycle?
The TDD voters approved was for the Main Street line. A new local funding source would be required.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:50 am
The TDD voters approved was for the Main Street line. A new local funding source would be required.
To expand on this, money mentioned in a ballot item must be spent on the project described in the ballot text.
It's this whole idea that you can't put something to a vote and then change the result.

It's not a contingency rule, it's for election integrity.
Last edited by flyingember on Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:50 am
I guess my question is: Biden admin removed the 20% extra contingency rule within the next year. Does the UMKC extension budget go down by ~$70 million(or similar or would it be too late)? And if it does go down, would a revived urban rail TDD be able to capture and use those funds for another line?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I would guess the design team already has plans for any residual amount of the contingency...like, station upgrades
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kboish wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:02 pm I would guess the design team already has plans for any residual amount of the contingency...like, station upgrades
That's a good point. I guess certain upgrades like extra trains could also be used by future expansions.

I have a feeling that UMKC extension, like the main street one, will be much more popular than expected. Station upgrades would help deal with those crowds.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Update: Any new money you see tied to the COVID relief bill is simply advancing funds that have already been committed for the project. It would not reduce the local commitment, just speed up the federal funding available to the project.