COVID19

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: COVID19

Post by mean »

OK, but when tornado sirens go off, do they run outside in the middle of the storm and say, "SCREW YOU GOVERNMENT, I WON'T LIVE IN FEAR!"? I doubt it. There is a certain level of mistrust of government that is rational, and then there's being an idiot. Which I wish there was a better word for because I know for a fact that some of the people I'm calling an idiot there AREN'T idiots, but they sure are acting like idiots and running towards the tornado instead of taking shelter.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

mean wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:25 pm OK, but when tornado sirens go off, do they run outside in the middle of the storm and say, "SCREW YOU GOVERNMENT, I WON'T LIVE IN FEAR!"? I doubt it. There is a certain level of mistrust of government that is rational, and then there's being an idiot. Which I wish there was a better word for because I know for a fact that some of the people I'm calling an idiot there AREN'T idiots, but they sure are acting like idiots and running towards the tornado instead of taking shelter.
I think most of the anti-covid crowd know a Tornado is an act of nature but think governments are capable of creating lies or creating viruses. I do know if the government put out mandatory lockdowns for 12 hours due to a high likelihood of a tornado, the same people would fight it. Just like some of the "Going to ride it out" types in hurricane areas.

These people have seen the damage a storm can do, but can't seem to process data on the CDC website. It's just not as tangible to them.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Google Maps has a COVID layer that shows 7-day moving average of new COVID cases per 100K population. Is interesting that even though MO has supposedly been behind US with vaccinations, MO as a state is well below US avg for new cases, one of lowest for recent new cases per 100K pops.

As of Feb 14, new cases in last 7 days per 100K pops...
US Avg: 29.7
MO: 15.5
KS: 26.7
KCMO: 10.4
Jackson Cty: 11.9
JoCo: 27.4
STL City: 15
STL County: 21.7

High states...
FL: 36.1
TX: 42.1
SC: 68

Fortunately nearly all states are now decreasing cases and deaths as well but curious if that may mean that lockdowns and/or high mask compliance are more effective than vaccines for preventing COVID spread. There still isn't enough information that solidly indicates COVID vax prevents spreading. The vaxs are apparently more effective with preventing symptoms and hospitalizations/deaths, but apparently those with vax can still spread even 2 weeks after second shot.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

...and South Carolina will be a state to watch as it's one of first states to have both UK and South African variants. Cases were going down like rest of US but now showing signs of an uptick. Hopefully it's not a trend, of course for rest of US and planet too...

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... -carolina/
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

earthling wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:41 pm Google Maps has a COVID layer that shows 7-day moving average of new COVID cases per 100K population. Is interesting that even though MO has supposedly been behind US with vaccinations, MO as a state is well below US avg for new cases, one of lowest for recent new cases per 100K pops.

As of Feb 14, new cases in last 7 days per 100K pops...
US Avg: 29.7
MO: 15.5
KS: 26.7
KCMO: 10.4
Jackson Cty: 11.9
JoCo: 27.4
STL City: 15
STL County: 21.7

High states...
FL: 36.1
TX: 42.1
SC: 68

Fortunately nearly all states are now decreasing cases and deaths as well but curious if that may mean that lockdowns and/or high mask compliance are more effective than vaccines for preventing COVID spread. There still isn't enough information that solidly indicates COVID vax prevents spreading. The vaxs are apparently more effective with preventing symptoms and hospitalizations/deaths, but apparently those with vax can still spread even 2 weeks after second shot.
In other words this is seasonal, just like the flu and most other viruses. This should be a surprise to nobody. We should be trending down solid now until April. Then pick back up again next October. Welcome to virology 101.

I feel like John Madden now, having to point out all the obvious things. 🙄
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Not obvious that seasonal is a factor entirely as US flu season tends to peak in Feb, not drop. Global (varied seasons) infection rates are going down including southern hemisphere. Partial immunity buildup is one possible explanation for global decline. But doesn't entirely explain why KCMO and STL infection rates are notably lower than other metro counties and MO lower than most other states. NY State, NJ and Mass are above US avg, like much of South.

Is curious given MO is behind rest of US in vaccine rollout, and KC/STL are lagging behind rest of MO.

And then there's South Carolina, which is one of first states with both UK and S African variants now showing signs of an uptick in infection rate. Need a couple more weeks of data to see if really a trend (click 7 day moving average).
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

i don't know how interesting this will be to anyone else, but i had a call with a district of kansas judge this week. the judge indicated their personal belief was that the way things appear to be trending now with covid numbers, the current d. kan. administrative order suspending in-person activities (trials, hearings, etc.) would likely not be extended further past its current effective date of 3/31/2021.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

wahoowa wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:23 am i don't know how interesting this will be to anyone else, but i had a call with a district of kansas judge this week. the judge indicated their personal belief was that the way things appear to be trending now with covid numbers, the current d. kan. administrative order suspending in-person activities (trials, hearings, etc.) would likely not be extended further past its current effective date of 3/31/2021.
I love it. While we are still behind after 3 quarters of football, we are trending towards possibly winning the game, so we have decided to pull our starters and change the game strategy.
ztonyg
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by ztonyg »

bobbyhawks wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:17 pm
wahoowa wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:23 am i don't know how interesting this will be to anyone else, but i had a call with a district of kansas judge this week. the judge indicated their personal belief was that the way things appear to be trending now with covid numbers, the current d. kan. administrative order suspending in-person activities (trials, hearings, etc.) would likely not be extended further past its current effective date of 3/31/2021.
I love it. While we are still behind after 3 quarters of football, we are trending towards possibly winning the game, so we have decided to pull our starters and change the game strategy.
That's what we did last year too. We locked everything down for March / April and then by May as election season was heating up we opened everything back up and had a debate over wearing masks which led to a major spike. Then some places tightened up again but things loosened around the holidays leading to another major spike. Now as it's trending down we decide "we're good" and watch for another major spike in the next 3-4 weeks.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Well, it's a little different now with vaccine supply expected to improve dramatically in March (with a third EUA for the J&J vaccine about to drop any day now). Yeah, we could still fuck this up again...
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

ztonyg wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:40 pm We locked everything down for March / April and then by May as election season was heating up we opened everything back up and had a debate over wearing masks which led to a major spike.
Do you guys actually listen to the irrational things you say before you post them, or just let it rip?

To say that we had a debate over wearing masks, which led to a major spike is just idiotic. Mask wearing was and has been at the highest level ever. Virtually everyone's been wearing masks for the entire last year now. Unless there was suddenly some giant mask-free crowds in KC that I didn't see...? Perhaps at the riots?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

im2kull wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:50 am
ztonyg wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:40 pm We locked everything down for March / April and then by May as election season was heating up we opened everything back up and had a debate over wearing masks which led to a major spike.
Do you guys actually listen to the irrational things you say before you post them, or just let it rip?

To say that we had a debate over wearing masks, which led to a major spike is just idiotic. Mask wearing was and has been at the highest level ever. Virtually everyone's been wearing masks for the entire last year now. Unless there was suddenly some giant mask-free crowds in KC that I didn't see...? Perhaps at the riots?
I think you're confusing us with New Zealand mate.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

im2kull wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:50 am Unless there was suddenly some giant mask-free crowds in KC that I didn't see...?
My Facebook feed

It’s not the big crowds, it’s the hundreds of small ones that matter
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

flyingember wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:28 pm
im2kull wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:50 am Unless there was suddenly some giant mask-free crowds in KC that I didn't see...?
My Facebook feed

It’s not the big crowds, it’s the hundreds of small ones that matter
This. My social media feed is full of unvaccinated KC folks having casual unmasked gatherings. Everyone has their own risk tolerance, I understand, but we are so close to having the tools in place to really control this crap. The feedback loop for politicians is just too hugely tempting/rewarding when they are able to say normalcy is safe again.

The good news is, our culture has adopted much better COVID etiquette than we had even last fall, and that has to be a part of the reason numbers have gone down. I hope those improvements along with vaccinated people + recovered people overwhelm the relaxing of restaurant rules, etc., but I do worry we are instilling a bit too much confidence a little too soon. Here's to hoping I'm wrong.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I've been roaming Georgia and Florida recently and am not seeing mask compliance as high as MO. Was in Cape Girardeau last fall, and despite Trumpism mask mocking, compliance was high in Cape even inside restaurants (not eating). Not the case in much of the SE (outside the core cities) where many don't where mask walking to restaurant - though store usage is generally better. Infection rates are slowing down in pretty much all states but higher mask compliance in MO might be why MO is reducing infection rates faster than rest of US. It's apparently not due to vaccines given MO is well behind rest of US.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I bet it's vaccination locations + the mask use as a combined result.

Mask use is higher in cities and suburbs. Vaccination herd immunity in rural areas thus has a bigger impact overall on the spread because cities need it less to start.

People are complaining about the unbalanced events but it's clearly working.

I'm in the March 15th phase via my job, so that's nice. I'm jumping on the first event I can sign up for.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Missouri has the second lowest per capita covid rate (7/100k) in the United States according to Wash Post. Only Hawaii beats us (4/100k). This is the 7 day rolling average of course.

My and my friends/family travel experience has been 100% mask wearing in Missouri restaurants. 100% mask wearing in Missouri airports and then land in NYC or LA where people are not at their airports. Certainly anecdotal.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... es-deaths/
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

The government is shooting for a sweet spot between hospital capacity and an open economy. If the hospitals can handle the load of severe cases, then they will start to open the economy.

KU med is now down to 60-70 COVID-19 cases from a high of around 300, this is mainly due to stopping the spread in nursing homes and retirement homes. That is why JoCo and KCMO are relaxing hours and occupancy for businesses.

The reality is that there is still a risk of death by doing this, but there is also a risk of death from poverty, decimated budgets and social unrest, caused by a closed economy.

Still the best thing we can do is wear a mask while indoors and get vaccinated when you have the opportunity.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Meanwhile, Central Florida...

And bumper stickers like these in southeast. Haven't seen this in MO...
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

US new cases have gone down quite a bit but recently leveling off. New variants? Less mask compliance? Fluke in reporting? Need a couple more weeks of data...