OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: We are getting a new airport!!!

Post by mykem »

I think the original plan called for 21' celings through the concourses, and column free. I think this will look good.
I'm not sure how well I like the exposed steel beams in the concession nodes, and headhouse. Seems like all the new airports being built now are going with a sleek design throughout.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

mykem wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:36 pm I think the original plan called for 21' celings through the concourses, and column free. I think this will look good.
I'm not sure how well I like the exposed steel beams in the concession nodes, and headhouse. Seems like all the new airports being built now are going with a sleek design throughout.
You get the appearance of higher ceilings if you leave the beams exposed.

New Orleans's new terminal has much much higher ceilings so its easier for them to go and have a "sleek" ceiling.

Incheon of course takes the cake with their 100'+ "sleek" ceilings and indoor forest.

Indianapolis's new terminal has exposed ceilings in the head house and main retail node but its too "busy" imho.

Their concourses added a drop ceiling for a sleeker look. You can kind of see how they would have had a few more feet of ceiling if they left it exposed.

KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

I wasn't sure if this has already been posted and I don't want to go back through 30 pages, but I stumbled upon a construction webcam for the airport.

https://app.oxblue.com/open/clarkconstr ... 8edc2945ca
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCLover wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:25 pm I wasn't sure if this has already been posted and I don't want to go back through 30 pages, but I stumbled upon a construction webcam for the airport.

https://app.oxblue.com/open/clarkconstr ... 8edc2945ca
huh, I thought it was blocked from Internet access
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

If they are going to put a BBQ place in the airport and it's not an already established restaurant, it should be called Perry's Place after Henry Perry, the original creator of Kansas City BBQ.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:09 pm If they are going to put a BBQ place in the airport and it's not an already established restaurant, it should be called Perry's Place after Henry Perry, the original creator of Kansas City BBQ.
I just hope it isn't one of the abominations they've put in the airport in the past. Been a while since I was stuck at the airport near where it was located, but they used to have an Arthur Bryant's that served basically a hoagie with deli meat on it, and a bottle of their sauce was the only semi-authentic part. It would be killer but very unlikely and impractical if they dedicate an area adjoining a restaurant area to a real smoke pit so that the airport always has the faint aroma of bbq when people arrive. If your only option is going to be fake-ass Chili's bbq or even something driven halfway across town, I'd rather save the embarrassment and not have bbq at all.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

bobbyhawks wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:44 am
beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:09 pm If they are going to put a BBQ place in the airport and it's not an already established restaurant, it should be called Perry's Place after Henry Perry, the original creator of Kansas City BBQ.
I just hope it isn't one of the abominations they've put in the airport in the past. Been a while since I was stuck at the airport near where it was located, but they used to have an Arthur Bryant's that served basically a hoagie with deli meat on it, and a bottle of their sauce was the only semi-authentic part. It would be killer but very unlikely and impractical if they dedicate an area adjoining a restaurant area to a real smoke pit so that the airport always has the faint aroma of bbq when people arrive. If your only option is going to be fake-ass Chili's bbq or even something driven halfway across town, I'd rather save the embarrassment and not have bbq at all.
Look at the City Manager's twitter. Real smokers have been designed into the new terminal. For practical reasons, they are not planning on pumping smoke into the building.
Last edited by normalthings on Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

normalthings wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:48 am
bobbyhawks wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:44 am
Real smokers have been designed into the new terminal. For practical reasons, they are not planning on pumping smoke into the building.
I think the design of the present terminal really discouraged good restaurants. The split between 3 and then 2 terminals dispersed crowds which along with cramped conditions discouraged both restaurateurs and diners alike (not to mention having to mull about outside of security to eat). Hoping the new terminal will facilitate a vast improvement on the dining front.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I would hope they have the modern airport seating with tablets at ever seat to order eats/drinks from most kitchens in that terminal. Can have many ghost kitchens that serve to anywhere in terminal. And just bars that don't have a specific kitchen, you order from any ghost kitchen from same tablet. Also makes it much easier to swap out various eats offered anytime they want. Houston and LGA do it pretty well.
Last edited by earthling on Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:48 pm I would hope they have the modern airport seating with tablets at ever seat to order eats/drinks from any kitchen in that terminal. Can have many ghost kitchens that serve to anywhere in terminal. And just bars that don't have a specific kitchen, you order from any ghost kitchen from same tablet. Also makes it much easier to swap out various eats offered anytime they want. Houston and LGA do it pretty well.
Those systems are reserved for hub airports.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Any reason it couldn't work at new KCI? And KCI should ultimately target being at least a mini hub again.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:50 pm Any reason it couldn't work at new KCI? And KCI should ultimately target being at least a mini hub again.
It costs a lot of money to install and maintain (iPads, network upgrades, staff, etc). It's a feature that makes a lot more sense at physically big airports with many layovers (and is being pushed by the Big 3 only at their hubs). Airlines generally get to decide the seating at their gates so they would have to opt-in to that aspect. At KCI, ~95% of passengers will be walking past F&B on the way to their gate. For the ~5% of passengers who connect, they will never be that far from concourse or node retail options. New KCI will be pretty easy to navigate.

STL is a pretty successful connecting focus city for Southwest and doesn't have anything like that. I don't know if they use that system at any of their "focus cities." If any airline is going to add flights here, its probably going to be Southwest. IMHO, there are other improvements that would better position us for focus city status.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

normalthings, you've been pretty knowledgeable about details of the new terminal. If you don't mind me asking, what is your connection to know some of these details?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

normalthings wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:13 pm
earthling wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:50 pm Any reason it couldn't work at new KCI? And KCI should ultimately target being at least a mini hub again.
It costs a lot of money to install and maintain (iPads, network upgrades, staff, etc). It's a feature that makes a lot more sense at physically big airports with many layovers (and is being pushed by the Big 3 only at their hubs).
Would think it could still be doable for any airport that pre-plans for it, especially one from ground up like a new terminal. I've never seen one using expensive iPads, they are likely under $50 OEM tablets, probably less in bulk. They could also do QR code at every other seat and note one can use phone instead of tablet with Apple/Google/Samsung Pay, cutting down on # of tablets (have seen Florida restaurants with open outdoor seating doing this now). As more become accustomed to using phone, fewer tablets may be needed over time. Kitchens can operate much more efficiently as ghost kitchens that serve entire terminal, rather than hoping enough travelers come into their 'restaurant' space. Seems there could be a far more efficient way to do this that makes the maintenance worth it, especially more convenient for travelers and many more food options wherever they are seated.

New ways of doing things using tech tend to get even cheaper as optimized over time. KCI should go for this. Should be pretty mature by now.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:17 pm
normalthings wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:13 pm
It costs a lot of money to install and maintain (iPads, network upgrades, staff, etc). It's a feature that makes a lot more sense at physically big airports with many layovers (and is being pushed by the Big 3 only at their hubs).
Would think it could still be doable for any airport that pre-plans for it, especially one from ground up like a new terminal. I've never seen one using expensive iPads, they are likely under $50 OEM tablets, probably less in bulk. They could also do QR code at every other seat and note one can use phone instead of tablet, cutting down on # of tablets. Kitchens can operate much more efficiently as ghost kitchens that serve entire terminal, rather than hoping enough travelers come into their 'restaurant' space. Seems there could be a far more efficient way to do this that makes the maintenance worth it, especially more convenient for travelers and many more food options wherever they are seated.

New ways of doing things using tech tend to get even cheaper as optimized over time. KCI should go for this. Should be pretty mature by now.
They use iPads. In fact, Newark holds/held the record for most iPads deployed in a single building. The airlines are the driving force behind this service offering. The airlines do not want to bring this to KC nor any other non-major airport.

https://houstonfoodfinder.com/getaways/ ... -pleasure/
Last edited by normalthings on Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I've seen them not using iPads. There's no reason to use them. Poor choice if they are. Don't even need a full blown mobile OS. Just enough to run a web app. And using phones with QR codes can be another option, cutting costs.

Not sure why airlines would resist this. It doesn't have to be directly at the gates, rather nearby spaces instead of dedicated restaurant space. Aren't there ways to do this not engaging the airlines.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:42 pm I've seen them not using iPads. There's no reason to use them. Poor choice if they are. Don't even need a full blown mobile OS. Just enough to run a web app. And using phones with QR codes can be another option, cutting costs.

Not sure why airlines would resist this. It doesn't have to be directly at the gates, rather nearby spaces instead of dedicated restaurant space. Aren't there ways to do this not engaging the airlines.
Ipads have been the standard for sometime. I would love to know who switched away.

Maybe I wasn't understanding your suggestion. Are you saying remove the concourse F&B and add a place for table sitting that one can order food to?

Like remove the crown bar on the right side of this rendering?

Last edited by normalthings on Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Keep such bars but with the tablets or QR codes at every seat. But also add open tables throughout the terminal, not necessarily associated to any gate yet placed about. These can be charging tables with ability to order from any ghost kitchen in terminal. Some Florida restaurants are doing this now, and I've heard at some beaches with open seating, though haven't been to a beach doing this.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

interesting perspective from the Arts RFP
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:48 pm Keep such bars but with the tablets or QR codes at every seat. But also add open tables throughout the terminal, not necessarily associated to any gate yet placed about. These can be charging tables with ability to order from any ghost kitchen in terminal. Some Florida restaurants are doing this now, and I've heard at some beaches with open seating, though haven't been to a beach doing this.
The only place you can add tables, without it being in the airline realm, is in circulation or space previously assigned to F&B. This recent-ish rendering shows such a setup. However, that rendering looks like the tables are within the gate lounge space at the end of a concourse. Your QR code is interesting and maybe a post-covid shift. Now that everyone has gotten used to using QR codes when dining out during COVID, you wouldn't have to train people to use the codes. I could see whoever wins the F&B master contract doing something like that.

It also shows a smooth, flat ceiling that an earlier poster was hoping for.....
Last edited by normalthings on Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.