Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Three Light

Post by FangKC »

Making a requirement that all new subsidized projects include 20 percent affordable housing will likely cause more harm than good. This might work in larger real estate markets with ultra-expensive housing. It will shut down a lot of developers from coming into the market. We need new apartments for higher income people so they can move out of older, lower-end apartments that can then be taken over by lower income residents.

Newly-built high-rises are the most expensive way to create affordable housing, followed by newly-built low-rise.

The easiest way to create affordable housing for lower income residents is probably mobile home parks. It can be created very quickly, and can be placed on parcels needing reuse. Strategically place it on bus routes around the metro. Former shopping center parking lots could probably be transformed very quickly.

Another way is to place modular manufactured housing on permanent foundations on vacant lots around the city. It can be done fairly quickly. The City just needs to adjust zoning rules to allow more manufactured housing.

We also need to create more affordable senior-housing communities dispersed through the City. Many seniors want to down-size, but have trouble finding good housing options in their neighborhoods. Doing this will free up a lot of larger, older homes that are affordable for young families. Around 40 percent of all housing in KCMO is occupied by a single person, and many of these are single-family homes with seniors.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I see that point of changing requirements.

The city invests a lot annually in pnl so trying to find a way to get more affordable housing where they are already investing a lot of the general fund makes some sense.

I'm also a big fan of mixed income levels in buildings versus trying to isolate income restriction or even lower market rate into its own building.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:01 pm I see that point of changing requirements.

The city invests a lot annually in pnl so trying to find a way to get more affordable housing where they are already investing a lot of the general fund makes some sense.

I'm also a big fan of mixed income levels in buildings versus trying to isolate income restriction or even lower market rate into its own building.
In my experience downtown, buildings are very mixed income. You have people who just got their first big kid job renting studios and you’ve got professional athletes making millions all the same building. In the income restricted properties you have students and low income folks but also have some people who make great money and are grandfathered in despite making too much.

From what I’ve read, in much larger cities where they’re forced to include affordable housing in luxury buildings, the affordable units are smaller and don’t have the nicer finishes. Not to mention, the residential game isn’t a get rich quick play. Mostly leased at market rate rent basically pays the bills, it doesn’t line the landlords pockets. So you take away 20% of your market rate units and turn them into affordable units, you’re now looking at losing money every month.

It’s a big problem that developers have been dealing with for years. Some developers are willing to build new affordable housing but they need some serious government assistance.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

This is a nice project in Omaha. Tower 1 construction starting in July and finishing in December 2022.
210 rental units and 24 condos. They will lease what units they aren't able to sell. I wish someone would do that here!
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:24 pm Image

This is a nice project in Omaha. Tower 1 construction starting in July and finishing in December 2022.
210 rental units and 24 condos. They will lease what units they aren't able to sell. I wish someone would do that here!
Looks like something perfect for the parking lot at 19th and Grand.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Resubmitted corrections last week
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Three Light will now open in 2023. Website was updated yesterday
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

normalthings wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:05 am Three Light will now open in 2023. Website was updated yesterday
Interesting, to me at least, that they updated the website but did not update the rendering to be the shorter version posted on here months ago. I understand that building design isn't 100% complete yet, but at least putting the shorter building rendering out there confirms to us that they're actually going shorter than originally intended.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

So the council has to vote on this again?
Authorizing the City Manager to execute a Pre-Development Agreement with Block 139 Residential, LLC in connection with an economic development effort for the Three Light Project in furtherance of implementation of the Thirteenth Amendment of the Master Development Agreement with Kansas City Live, LLC .

WHEREAS, Block 139 Residential, LLC (Company) proposes an economic development project (Project) consisting of the construction of a multifamily residential building with approximately 288 residential units and approximately 7,500 square feet of retail space, and includes the construction of a six level parking structure with approximately 476 parking spaces; and

WHEREAS, the total cost of the Project is approximately $140.3 million;
http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/LiveWeb/Docum ... 5B4FaDlkbt
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Parking garage seems a bit oversized but I guess it would need to support the project across from the Alamo and potentially the Midland renovation.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... b=moreinfo

traffic control for the construction of 3 light.

Start Date: 05/03/2021
End Date: 05/03/2023
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

https://cityscenekc.com/three-light-hit ... early-may/
J.E. Dunn, the contractor for the estimated $120 million project, has applied to the city for permits to close parts of Truman Road and Walnut Street adjoining the construction site for two years beginning May 3, according to city records.
The Three Light permit application filed by J.E. Dunn calls for the southbound lane on Walnut to be closed for two years between 14th Street and Truman, and the westbound right lane of Truman to be closed between Grand and Main.

The sidewalk on the east side of Main between Truman and 14th streets also will be closed during construction.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

New York City can figure out how to keep sidewalks open, we build one building and 3 sidewalks close, I'm sure the 2 Light people will love their front door blocked. smh.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:43 am New York City can figure out how to keep sidewalks open, we build one building and 3 sidewalks close, I'm sure the 2 Light people will love their front door blocked. smh.
Will this mean closing the North Bound streetcar station at P&L?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

normalthings wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:52 am
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:43 am New York City can figure out how to keep sidewalks open, we build one building and 3 sidewalks close, I'm sure the 2 Light people will love their front door blocked. smh.
Will this mean closing the North Bound streetcar station at P&L?
My guess is that they’d only block off until brgr but still that would be a massive pain in the ass.

They should be forced to do protected sidewalks that any real city does and can do very short term closures if needed.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:01 pm My guess is that they’d only block off until brgr but still that would be a massive pain in the ass.
This is if BRGR returns to business, which at this point seems to be in question. The point remains the same.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:37 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:01 pm My guess is that they’d only block off until brgr but still that would be a massive pain in the ass.
This is if BRGR returns to business, which at this point seems to be in question. The point remains the same.
I believe BRGR in the P&L reopened about 6 weeks ago.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I believe the area in front of two lights entrance will be kept clear according to the traffic plan I saw.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Link2 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:56 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:37 pm
I believe BRGR in the P&L reopened about 6 weeks ago.
Correct.